Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
@rocknblogger as @iSara says, set up family sharing from your Gmail (store) address to your iCloud address. That'll give you access to your prior purchases. This definitely worked (works) for me.
But wouldn't that only work with apps that are available for family sharing, no? I know there are apps that don't qualify for family sharing so what would happen to those if I logged into the App Store with my icloud Account?

Black Baron

Suspended
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
Thanks for clarifying. I also do not use my iCloud email for anything of significance, however I do have my iCloud email set up on my phone and computer so that it is kept up to date. I have different e-mail accounts that I use for different purposes, to keep newsletters and other things separate from more business related correspondence. I can see why you would want to have notifications coming to the email account that you use most frequently or want important messages sent to.

I do quite often get connection problems with iCloud email servers. I check "Connection Doctor" regularly in Apple Mail.

You can create an "Alias" email address under icloud.com as far as I know. Is it more "safe"? I don't know, haven't
tested it yet.

I use my own email address for sending newsletters out. The puter system holds so far by sending out an Email
and IP address. ... ?? Dr. Snowden ?? ... ?

Regards,

BLACK BARON
Design / Photo / Art / Music

grzewo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
Hi everyone, I found this thread when I tried to change my apple id. I want to change it from the current one abc@icloud.com to xyz@icloud.com. Unfortunately when trying to do it I receive the message: "You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account.". Based on the messages in that thread it seemed to me that I should be allowed to apply such change but apparently it does not work for me.
I thought that maybe the email should be already in "reachable at" section, but using an email address alias (for iCloud domain) does not work either. It seems that the only option is to use the separate email address (like gmail). To use other iCloud email I would have to create such and it is not possible to create just an email - one have to create a separate apple id and connected email. In that case the system would not allow me to change my apple id to that new email address as it would be already connected with that new separate apple id.
Do I miss something? Is there any way to change apple id to a different name still within iCloud.com domain?

Last edited:
Reactions: sdz

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
Hi everyone, I found this thread when I tried to change my apple id. I want to change it from the current one abc@icloud.com to xyz@icloud.com. Unfortunately when trying to do it I receive the message: "You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account.". Based on the messages in that thread it seemed to me that I should be allowed to apply such change but apparently it does not work for me.
I thought that maybe the email should be already in "reachable at" section, but using an email address do not work either. It seems that the only option is to use the separate email address (like gmail). To use other iCloud email I would have to create such and it is not possible to create just an email - one have to create a separate apple id and connected email. In that case the system would not allow me to change my apple id to that new email address as it would be already connected with that new separate apple id.
Do I miss something? Is there any way to change apple id to a different name still within iCloud.com domain?
I have the same problem. Does not seem to work that way. Very disappointing

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I thought that maybe the email should be already in "reachable at" section, but using an email address alias (for iCloud domain) does not work either. It seems that the only option is to use the separate email address (like gmail). To use other iCloud email I would have to create such and it is not possible to create just an email - one have to create a separate apple id and connected email. In that case the system would not allow me to change my apple id to that new email address as it would be already connected with that new separate apple id.
You can't change from one iCloud account to another.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I changed to iCloud email in mid January for my apple ID but I did not know it would send emails to the ID email address instead of the other address on file. It's been over a month and I cannot switch to another email. Anyone know of a fix?

Imtoobored

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi, I've currently got my Apple ID associated with a third-party email. If I create an iCloud email on this Apple ID will I be able to remove it and change it back to the third-party email if I change my mind?

Stratox

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2021

Here is the modified text, for those having trouble understanding what changed.​

August:
View attachment 977340

September:
View attachment 977343

Which primarily impacted any Apple ID created as a new dotMac, MobileMe, or iCloud account (creating a new Apple ID during setup of those services rather than using a previously created Apple ID).

It does not require the new email to be in your "reachable ats," but it might not let you enter an email that is another Apple ID's reachables. My second gmail is unavailable even though it's never been used as a reachable on my main Apple ID, but I think I used it as a recovery email for one of the handful of MobileMe test accounts I used to have. Or, I might have used that gmail last month in a blocked attempt to create a test iCloud account while I was troubleshooting my keychains. So anyway, expect some bugginess with what emails you can use.

Nothing you do to your second "iCloud" Apple ID will merge it with the first or give it access to the purchase history of the first.

There's nothing inherently wrong with carefully (backing up everything, bracing yourself for some problems with duplicates) migrating your "iCloud data" ("iCloud data" is not a thing; but meaning all the contacts, bookmarks, photos, etc that iCloud syncs) to a new iCloud account created with the first Apple ID (if one has not been created already; whether an Apple ID is already provisioned for iCloud can be safely tested by trying to add the Apple ID as an iCloud account in syspref > Internet Accounts), and then relegating the second Apple ID to email only. However, these days, creating new iCloud accounts (or provisioning iCloud on existing Apple IDs) requires phone number verification, so it can be difficult to double up even if you have a Mac or iOS device that would otherwise be eligible to create one.
Is this still possible in 2023? The support article doesn’t contain that footnote anymore. Not only that, but when I try to change my @gmail adress to my @icloud("This is an alias of your Apple ID email address"). It states that if I make this change, I will not be able to use any other email addresses for my Apple ID. (The iOS Translation isn’t fully exact.) I’m trying to do this procedure, but am unsure if I can trust it.

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpeg
    IMG_0835.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 34

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I was told by an Apple genius that Apple was working on the ability to merge an iTunes ID created with one email address with an iCloud ID created as an @me.com or @icloud.com. Before knowing any better, I’d made a few purchases from the Apple store/iTunes with both accounts. Now it’s an endless source of frustration when managing a given mobile device and accessing/updating apps at times.

I was told this around 2007. Guess they‘re still working on it.
Note to self: They're still working on it. End of note to self.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.