Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
http://psp.ign.com/articles/787/787040p1.html

That the lastest news that the PSP(and only the PSP) is getting a new Star Wars BattleFront. Its called "Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron", and as a HUGE FAN of BattleFront I will need to play it. This means I'll be needing to get a PSP.

My local FYE has PSPs for 140, so I might pick it up soon, even though this game is set for release in September. Also a PSP will be nice when I go to Europe in the summer.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Good luck. I hope you have better luck than me, I bought the PSP for 1 game too and realised that the total cost was not worth this 1 one game.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I dunno; I can't see an FPS playing too well with only one analog stick.

I've actually been considering a PSP; the local Pawn One has five of them for $130 each.

On the current version, do you still have to revert to the old firmware every time you want to run homebrew?

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
I'll probably mnake a trip to somewhere in Asia where they do sell homebrew ready PSPs in stores.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I almost bought one today but I'm out of touch with the homebrew side of things. DarkAlex's custom firmware to play PS1 isos is bang on what I need. As I've said a bajillion times before - the PS1 had boss games and lots of gems I missed out on (FF7, 8, 9 et al). But I'd probably either need a guarantee it worked perfectly or to see it in action. And with nobody here with a PSP any more I can't see with my own eyes :eek:

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I dunno; I can't see an FPS playing too well with only one analog stick.

GoldenEye...enough said!!

(Not really, I the D-pad and Analog stick can't be used at the same time on PSP)

Also Star Wars BattleFront is normal played as a 3rd person shooter(although its possible to have a FPS mode I think)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
"With my own eyes" meant local people with PSP's, of which there are none.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I know at least half a dozen people here with PSP's(go figure how our perceptions differ)
I guess some people only see what they want to see.....

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Sony should probably remarket the PSP as "load bar -- simulator." :eek:

I "knew" a few peeps with PSPs. Nope, I didn't loose touch with my friends, they sold the dust-collector.

<]=)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I know at least half a dozen people here with PSP's(go figure how our perceptions differ)
I guess some people only see what they want to see.....

WTF is that supposed to mean?

2 person at my college had a PSP. 1 lecturer and 1 student. I had a quick play on my mates PSP and decided to buy one myself, bought one straight away on eBay. Few weeks later the student needs quick money to fix his car and ends up selling the bugger.

There is no other perception to it, unless you magically know the same people I do. Have fun at Tameside College did you?

Sony should probably remarket the PSP as "load bar -- simulator." :eek:

I "knew" a few peeps with PSPs. Nope, I didn't loose touch with my friends, they sold the dust-collector.

<]=)

It's just your perception that they sold them.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I've got a PSP and I really enjoy it. Lots of good games and the non-game features are cool too. I don't consider myself a "gamer" and really couldn't care less about the whole Sony vs. Nintendo vs. MS stuff. My PSP and PS3 are both quite entertaining.

As for PSP games, my favorites are Lemmings, Loco Roco and Wipeout Pure. The new Battlefront game looks really cool too.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A few questions myself-

How does the homebrew PS1 emulation work? Is it smooth? What about L2 and R2? Image stretching?
Can any PSP run the PS1 firmware, or are there official firmware lockouts?
Does it kill battery life?

God knows how much I would love a portable PS1 that could play my original games.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
A few questions myself-

How does the homebrew PS1 emulation work? Is it smooth? What about L2 and R2? Image stretching?
Can any PSP run the PS1 firmware, or are there official firmware lockouts?
Does it kill battery life?

God knows how much I would love a portable PS1 that could play my original games.

I believe there are firmware lock outs in regard to it. You'd need to run custom firmware to do it, and I think the most up to date firmware that works is 3.00. Although it might be lower. That seems to be the milestone from where you can effectively 'down-grade' the firmware to work with home brew.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Im my experience you will never be happy if you buy a console for one game. Once that game is over, you will be stuck with a piece of hardware. If nothing has sparked your interest thus far, I would say its a bad move.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I'm not certain about this but I think the highest number downgradable firmware as of right now is 3.03. The highest custom firmware is (I believe) 3.30.

The best place to find a PSP with a low number firmware is a pawn shop, it's where I got mine. :cool:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I had a look in a pawn shop today and they had nothing. Still, HMV had the best deal I could find, £134 with a (crap) free game.

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
Im my experience you will never be happy if you buy a console for one game. Once that game is over, you will be stuck with a piece of hardware. If nothing has sparked your interest thus far, I would say its a bad move.

Probably correct due to the PSP's current age, but 'back in the day' I bought the Playstation for Final Fantasy VII and I'd have to say it was worth it, though there were other games I played afterwards.

I think that just about every platform and hand held has at least two or three games that even the most pickey gamer could enjoy. My PSP just gathers dust these days, but Jak and Dexter, Lumines and Katamari were all pretty fun in my own world of picky tastes.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
they are remaking most of the old Final Fantasies for it as well as Star Ocean 1/2.
God War War for the portable is coming out, and sales reports show figures in the UK jumped 60% after the recent price drop. With a couple more games like MG:pO, GoW, and the FF remakes, Sony may have to increase production next time the drop the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.