Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Anyone know when the public beta for iOS will end? I don't want anymore updates,

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have done that but I checked my settings earlier and there's an OTA update for 9.1 Beta 3. :(
What version are you on currently? Do you have the iOS public beta profile installed?

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
What version are you on currently? Do you have the iOS public beta profile installed?
I'm currently on Beta 2. I've already deleted the profile from my phone.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

If you're already on the beta, you will continue to get beta updates even without the profile.

You need to downgrade to the public release.

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
If you're already on the beta, you will continue to get beta updates even without the profile.

You need to downgrade to the public release.
I've already unenrolled from the programme though so not sure why I keep getting updates. How do I downgrade to the public release? I tried doing a restore on iTunes while in recovery mode but I keep getting 'Unknown error 1671'...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't seem like you went back to the latest official release as the linked instructions mention should be done.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
You'll most likely have to tweak your latest restore backup file also if your most recent backup is from the beta. It's pretty easy to get the backup from 9.1 to work with 9.0 but you will have to do a little work.

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
You need to put your phone into DFU mode and restore: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode
Tried that but I'm getting this error

4rur80.png

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
You'll most likely have to tweak your latest restore backup file also if your most recent backup is from the beta. It's pretty easy to get the backup from 9.1 to work with 9.0 but you will have to do a little work.
Any idea how I ca do this then?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Tried that but I'm getting this error

4rur80.png

Are you sure it's in DFU mode (and not Recovery Mode)? The screen should be black -- not showing "Connect to iTunes". If it is showing that then you aren't in DFU mode.

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Okay I've now set up my iPhone as new but am unable to restore form my last back up as it's an iOS 9.1 back up. Is there a way around this so I can get my data back?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Okay I've now set up my iPhone as new but am unable to restore form my last back up as it's an iOS 9.1 back up. Is there a way around this so I can get my data back?

Try this (edited the quoted post to change the version and build numbers for 9.0.2):

• Backup your current iOS installation, make sure it is encrypted
  • On Windows browse to %appdata%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup and select your latest backup folder (by modified date)
  • On OSX browse to ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and select your latest backup folder (by modified date)
  • Make a copy of the original backup folder, just in case
  • Open the folder and find the info.plist file at the bottom of the file list
  • Open the info.plist file in notepad or similar
  • Search for Build Version and change the string to 13A340 13A452
  • Search for Product Version and change the string to 9.0 9.0.2
  • Save the changes

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/ios9/comments/3l534u/downgrade_from_ios_91_to_90_official_without/cv3fv9l

Now, if you only had an iCloud backup then it's a bit of a pain. You can re-update to the beta, restore the 9.1 backup from iCloud, plug it in and make an iTunes backup, then downgrade again and follow the steps above to edit the backup file on your computer.

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Try this (edited the quoted post to change the version and build numbers for 9.0.2):

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/ios9/comments/3l534u/downgrade_from_ios_91_to_90_official_without/cv3fv9l

Now, if you only had an iCloud backup then it's a bit of a pain. You can re-update to the beta, restore the 9.1 backup from iCloud, plug it in and make an iTunes backup, then downgrade again and follow the steps above to edit the backup file on your computer.
Will try this now. Thank you.

If my phone is 9.1 Beta 3, will i not be able to back up my my date from 9,.1 beta 2?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Will try this now. Thank you.

If my phone is 9.1 Beta 3, will i not be able to back up my my date from 9,.1 beta 2?

You can always restore a backup made from an earlier version onto a new version. Just can't go the other way (newer backup with older software).

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
You can always restore a backup made from an earlier version onto a new version. Just can't go the other way (newer backup with older software).
Thanks for this. The post from Reddit seems to have done the trick. Thanks so much! :)

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You do not need a backup or anything to revert down off of beta to official release. Just download the 9.0.2 file, then in iTunes (on Mac) hold Option and click Update. It will just install 9.0.2 without even needing to restore or losing any data.

Last edited:

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
You do not need a backup or anything to revert down off of beta to official release. Just download the 9.0.2 file, then in iTunes (on Mac) hold Iption and click Update. It will just install 9.0.2 without even needing to restore or losing any data.
...are you sure about that?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
...are you sure about that?

Yes I'm sure. I've done it numerous times the last couple weeks. And there have been a few threads about it as well.

Delete the beta profile then all you need is the 9.0.2 .ipsw, plug into iTunes, hold down the Option key on the keyboard and press Update, select the 9.0.2.ipsw file and it will revert your 9.1 install down to 9.0.2. It works no different than say if you went the other way 9.0.2 -> 9.1. You don't lose data and no restore is required.

Many have done this going from 9.1 beta 1 down to 9.0 and also 9.1 beta 2 down to 9.0.1.

Reactions: scjr

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Yes I'm sure. I've done it numerous times the last couple weeks. And there have been a few threads about it as well.

Delete the beta profile then all you need is the 9.0.2 .ipsw, plug into iTunes, hold down the Option key on the keyboard and press Update, select the 9.0.2.ipsw file and it will revert your 9.1 install down to 9.0.2. It works no different than say if you went the other way 9.0.2 -> 9.1. You don't lose data and no restore is required.

Many have done this going from 9.1 beta 1 down to 9.0 and also 9.1 beta 2 down to 9.0.1.
Wow, it actually worked! I'm surprised Apple actually allow this now :) So much easier than doing a complete restore. Ha, sorry for doubting you.. just wasn't aware this was even possible.

smoker68x

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
Hogansville, Georgia

I tried following these steps, and I thought it was working, but nothing restored to my iPad. It downgraded to 9.2.1 from 9.3 beta 5, but all of my apps were gone and I had to restore from backup. Did I miss something somewhere?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I tried following these steps, and I thought it was working, but nothing restored to my iPad. It downgraded to 9.2.1 from 9.3 beta 5, but all of my apps were gone and I had to restore from backup. Did I miss something somewhere?

From what I've heard since posting that is that apps don't carry over anymore like they did with 9.1 beta down to 9.0.2.

And I believe that's due to 9.1 release is actually when the iOS 9 App Thinning/Slicing finally got enabled. All your data should have been fine. You just would need to re-installs whatever apps again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.