Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I_am_a_loser

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
Boston, MA
If I also want to unenroll from the beta program once 9.3 goes public all I have to do is uninstall my beta profile on my phone and then update the iOS to the first public release of 9.3? I don't have to restore my phone or put it into any special mode and connect it to iTunes, right?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If I also want to unenroll from the beta program once 9.3 goes public all I have to do is uninstall my beta profile on my phone and then update the iOS to the first public release of 9.3? I don't have to restore my phone or put it into any special mode and connect it to iTunes, right?
That should work the way you described it.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You could probably go ahead and just remove the profile now (unless you have bugs to report via the app still to do)

That way if Apple releases 9.3.1 beta 1 same day as 9.3 official release you won't get prompt to update to 9.3.1 beta 1 instead of the 9.3 release.

Last edited:

I_am_a_loser

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
Boston, MA
You could probably go ahead and just remove the profile now (unless you have bugs to report via the app still to do)

That way if Apple releases 9.3.1 beta 1 same day as 9.3 official release you won't get promoted to update to 9.3.1 beta 1 instead of the 9.3 release.

Good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Try this (edited the quoted post to change the version and build numbers for 9.0.2):

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/ios9/comments/3l534u/downgrade_from_ios_91_to_90_official_without/cv3fv9l

Now, if you only had an iCloud backup then it's a bit of a pain. You can re-update to the beta, restore the 9.1 backup from iCloud, plug it in and make an iTunes backup, then downgrade again and follow the steps above to edit the backup file on your computer.
Is there a version of this for doing this from a Mac rather than a PC?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Is there a version of this for doing this from a Mac rather than a PC?
Hmm the reddit article is talking about a Mac. Pretty much the same process just the files to edit are in different locations between Mac and PC. Reality tho is 9.3 will release soon so removing the profile and waiting on official release may be the best option. Beta 6 is working well enough to just wait for most folks. Just an idea.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hmm the reddit article is talking about a Mac. Pretty much the same process just the files to edit are in different locations between Mac and PC. Reality tho is 9.3 will release soon so removing the profile and waiting on official release may be the best option. Beta 6 is working well enough to just wait for most folks. Just an idea.
Thanks! I've been on the program all the way since a few betas before the 9.0 release. Knowing that this is possible on a Mac is just for insurance if a future beta messes things up very badly.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Thanks! I've been on the program all the way since a few betas before the 9.0 release. Knowing that this is possible on a Mac is just for insurance if a future beta messes things up very badly.
Yeah the best insurance it to get a local backup using iTunes, then renaming that folder appending something to it like 53dddss888488588688886833-ios 9.2. Then any further backups will create a new folder and leave that one intact in case you ever want the older version backup again. Makes is easier to downgrade if need be without worrying about it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Yeah the best insurance it to get a local backup using iTunes, then renaming that folder appending something to it like 53dddss888488588688886833-ios 9.2. Then any further backups will create a new folder and leave that one intact in case you ever want the older version backup again. Makes is easier to downgrade if need be without worrying about it.

Any magic to the folder name you chose, or just a bunch of random numbers/letters?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Or you could just Archive it with the "Archive" option in the menu that's built into iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.