Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
The biggest issue w/ these forwarding workarounds is that you can't work on multiple platforms. For example it's common for someone to use Gmail on desktop while at work etc. With the forwarding approach you will see the same emails, UNREAD, on the phone after you process them on web Gmail.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can't deal with the fact that lazy people won't simply download Gmail for iOS when it has been reviewed and tested and praised as an excellent solution for this...
No offline support is enough to make a meaningful difference to a lot of people.

----------

I want a single mailbox, that is my reasoning for not using the gmail app directly. I have a work account, yahoo, and gmail and need a single app that supports all of these, the native mail app does this.
Yup, and there's that as far as using a single app for all mail.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
How bout using the gmail app for notifications, then the mail app (with fetch on manual) to actually read and respond ?

That is what I'm doing and finding the notifications come very late and the refreshing is also delayed.

Will have to push them to my outlook I guess.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Just wanted to add if you created a GMAIL folder which I recommend:
In the mailbox app go to edit at right top> then scroll to Add Mailbox...> then select the Gmail folder and Bam you have 2 separate pushed emails to get access fast from one outlook.

I also left the original gmail account to fetch manually, didn't delete it if I need to access it at some point for now, might delete it since I have the gmail app for when I need to see things directly, but I really like seeing both names and not gmail and inbox.

bronxct1

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
I just registered to post here.

As far as I understood it. Exchange won't work for accounts (email account not the device) that were NEVER set up with exchange before. Meaning, if you already hooked any phone up to gmail with exchange, you won't be touched at all. Its only new accounts that won't be added.

Heres my example. I just bought a iPhone 5c 4 hours ago. I just set up gmail using exchange with zero issues.

If you've used exchange before you should be all set until Google decides to pull the plug completely which they haven't spoken about yet.

Jigga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
I just registered to post here.

As far as I understood it. Exchange won't work for accounts (email account not the device) that were NEVER set up with exchange before. Meaning, if you already hooked any phone up to gmail with exchange, you won't be touched at all. Its only new accounts that won't be added.

Heres my example. I just bought a iPhone 5c 4 hours ago. I just set up gmail using exchange with zero issues.

If you've used exchange before you should be all set until Google decides to pull the plug completely which they haven't spoken about yet.
None of my Gmail accounts that have been setup as Exchange on my phone work.
Not sure how you did it but it must be a fluke as the Exchange connection should fail.

bronxct1

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah sorry guys. I wrote that as I set it up and settings accepted my information without giving me an error.

I just looked in the mail app after I got off the subway and I see it won't connect. I was very wrong.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I just decided to fwd all gmail to my icloud. Eff google.

I just did this, and eff Outlook as well. With Outlook, I had the following issues:

1. Missing e-mail. No clue why some e-mail forwarded from gmail showed up, some didn't.
2. Delayed sending of e-mail to gmail users. I've been having the issue daily for 3 weeks.
3. Bad and malformed e-mails. When somebody would send me an email that they had used the "download rest of message?" option to shorten the e-mail before replying, Outlook wouldn't know how to deal with this and would just send me a standalone e-mail full of HTML gibberish with no subject line.

So yeah. Outlook straight up sucks. I was in contact with a couple engineers at Microsoft, and they kept claiming to fix these issues, but I still kept having them, so boom. Done.

I'm now forwarding and deleting all my gmail to iCloud, and just replying to people with my iCloud address. Nobody has noticed yet, and I really don't care if they do. I'll keep my gmail as primary, because it is way too much of a pain to consider switching.

And the gmail iOS app? Please. That thing is a pile.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
anyone found out how to get outlook.com to push all mails. Somehow googlemails are not always forwarded - incredible

If I forward from Gmail to iCloud and then forward iCloud to Outlook, I get all my Gmail emails.

eazych

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Zurich
Bought the iPhone 5S last Friday and realized that there has been "something" in the past to be remembered... Like for most of you push email/calendar/contacts is vital for me and I don't want to set up a new mailadress - which is even more complicated when using an own domain with some users on it. But I remembered about having used NuevaSync in the past already. So I checked out their services again after a couple of years for 3 days now.

Anyone who wants to try out NuevaSync is able to do so for a grace period of 10 days. The annual fee is $30 per email-account - so I can use the service on my iPhone, iPad. NuevaSync is in business for quite some years now and the service provided is flawless.

The good thing about using Nueva is not every user has to pay for the push option - compared to the 50 bucks you are about to pay for every user when upgrading to Google Business. This made the deal for me.

yungskeeme

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I tried the workaround above and it was almost perfect. Only issue I had was while sending emails it showed my outlook account. Anyway, I want to try using icloud instead of outlook. Is it the same process? How would I set it up on my phone?

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Anyone who wants to try out NuevaSync is able to do so for a grace period of 10 days. The annual fee is $30 per email-account - so I can use the service on my iPhone, iPad. NuevaSync is in business for quite some years now and the service provided is flawless.

Hey, thanks for the tip of NuevaSync... that looks like a good solution for Gmail push.

One question: does folder syncing with Gmail work properly? For example, if I move a message from my Inbox to a particular folder, will that move sync back properly to Gmail?

I think I'm willing to pay $30/yr to get back push and sync without hacking a forwarding solution.

eazych

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Zurich
One question: does folder syncing with Gmail work properly? For example, if I move a message from my Inbox to a particular folder, will that move sync back properly to Gmail?

Hey Cody,

yes, it works. I recommend getting yourself a test account at Nueva to try out the features. There is a 10 days trial subscription. Meanwhile I spent 9 days and will subscribe for the paid services - just because it works. ;-)

bobright said:
I just got a new iPad w/ ios7 and oh man no working exchange/gmail anymore?

This is what this thread is about. :p

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
I just did this, and eff Outlook as well. With Outlook, I had the following issues:

1. Missing e-mail. No clue why some e-mail forwarded from gmail showed up, some didn't.
2. Delayed sending of e-mail to gmail users. I've been having the issue daily for 3 weeks.
3. Bad and malformed e-mails. When somebody would send me an email that they had used the "download rest of message?" option to shorten the e-mail before replying, Outlook wouldn't know how to deal with this and would just send me a standalone e-mail full of HTML gibberish with no subject line.

So yeah. Outlook straight up sucks. I was in contact with a couple engineers at Microsoft, and they kept claiming to fix these issues, but I still kept having them, so boom. Done.

I'm now forwarding and deleting all my gmail to iCloud, and just replying to people with my iCloud address. Nobody has noticed yet, and I really don't care if they do. I'll keep my gmail as primary, because it is way too much of a pain to consider switching.

And the gmail iOS app? Please. That thing is a pile.

Ugh same thing is happening to me but I really don't like sending all my emails to one email -____- I have about 4 different accounts and outlook seemed like it was working great but not a chance lately. Gmail app that bad?! What about the MAIL app?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
That is what I'm doing and finding the notifications come very late and the refreshing is also delayed.

Will have to push them to my outlook I guess.

How do I setup my gmail accounts in the iOS 7 mail app? I get the error retrieving mail through Outlook

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
How do I setup my gmail accounts in the iOS 7 mail app? I get the error retrieving mail through Outlook

I meant my outlook/hotmail account. ;)

Gmail only w/ gmail insetting n the mail app setup, you won't get push though.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Edit: nvm got it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 1,070
Last edited:

justin.l

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
I tried the workaround above and it was almost perfect. Only issue I had was while sending emails it showed my outlook account. Anyway, I want to try using icloud instead of outlook. Is it the same process? How would I set it up on my phone?

You can do the following so the send address will display your gmail
In outlook.com --click right top gear – More mail settings -- Managing your account -- Aliases: manage or choose a primary – Add alias -- Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias – Add your Gmail

click right top gear – More mail settings -- Managing your account -- Aliases: manage or choose a primary – select Make Primary for your Gmail

----------

I decided to type this up because I finally got this working to my liking. I personally do not enjoy the Gmail iOS app and would much prefer the stock Mail app, especially now that iOS 7 has launched. I did some reading and couldn't find a straightforward answer to see if there was any hope to bringing back push Gmail now that Google has killed off Exchange support. So, using a roundabout approach with some of Outlook.com's newest features, I was able to get a setup working very much to my liking.

You'll need:
  1. Gmail account
  2. Outlook.com account
  3. 10 minutes max

Here we go:
  • Optional Step 0
    From within your Outlook.com account, and merge your gmail account with both send and receive. This will sync all your backlogged email from the gmail account into Outlook.com. If you don't care about your backlogged Gmail contents, skip this. You will still need an outlook.com account though.
    http://imgur.com/MyAEuW0
  • Step 1
    Within Gmail, go to your settings, then Forwarding POP/IMAP, then select the first option and forward your Gmail to your new alias. By doing it this way instead of having outlook.com treat the account as send and receive (which is just a standard POP access that checks at intervals, not push), the emails are forwarded as they are received with only a few seconds of delay compared to push email. Go through all the confirmation steps. Gmail will also mark forwarded emails as 'read' if you desire. Because of the way Gmail handles forwarding, your emails will still report as being sent to the gmail, and be from the original sender, not sent to your outlook and from your gmail, like you'd expect with a normal email forward.
    http://imgur.com/4rEs1tn
  • Step 2
    Within outlook, go to Options > Rules for Sorting New Messages
    Add a new rule for sorting that says:
    To or CC line | Contains | YourGmail@gmail.com > Destination
    It should look something like this:
    http://imgur.com/pKiF1Bf
    This step is only necessary if you want to sort your incoming gmail into another folder besides inbox. I prefer this because I have multiple gmail accounts this single outlook.com account will be handling.
  • Step 3
    Add your Gmail account as a send only to Outlook.com
    http://imgur.com/qG4fAZy
  • Step 4
    Setup your Outlook.com account on your iOS device
    http://imgur.com/SH4Xlgt
    Make sure to enable push notifications for the newly created folders (Inbox is the only one enabled by default). Your final result should look something like this.
    http://imgur.com/Y0zFxxt

So there's your strange way of making a Google service work on an Apple product using a Microsoft service. (Though to be fair emulating exchange support, the old solution, was not really any different). The shortcomings are that you can't change the send from address within the mail app, it uses whichever you set on Outlook.com. But its a good way to get push email without having to use the Gmail app!

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve upon this, let me know. Or if anything is particularly unclear I'll be happy to fix it.

UPDATE: This should work just fine with iCloud too, but iCloud doesn't have the send-as feature/simplicity that outlook.com has. You'll have to manually configure your smtp settings to use gmail's servers instead, but it should work.

You can do the following so the sender address will display as your gmail:
In outlook email --click right top gear – More mail settings -- Managing your account -- Aliases: manage or choose a primary – Add alias -- Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias – Add your Gmail

click right top gear – More mail settings -- Managing your account -- Aliases: manage or choose a primary – select Make Primary for your Gmail

dmw16

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Great write-up, but my question is; is there any way to get sent mail to go back to my gmail account? I like having a history and it seems that with this configuration I can't?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.