Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Gotcha, thanks. Outlook will let you change the SMTP server so you can reply within the mail app and it comes from your gmail account. If they could just fix why some emails aren't coming through, it would be a pretty good solution.

I'm thinking about forwarding from gmail to iCloud to outlook. Do you think that'll bypass the gmail to outlook problem?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
'Cos outlook.com is not listed in iOS 6 Mail setup... and hotmail.com is not pushing any mail
outlook and Hotmail are the same thing and should push. If not, perhaps you might need to set it up as an Exchange account. You can probably Google that to double-check
on it.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I'm thinking about forwarding from gmail to iCloud to outlook. Do you think that'll bypass the gmail to outlook problem?

According to google, it's an outlook issue so you may have the same issue of missing emails.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
We've talked about this. The problem with forwarding to iCloud is when you reply, people will see your iCloud address instead of Gmail. Some of us can't/won't change email addresses.

I have a second address that I send from. Can't is rather subjective. My gmail has always just been a backup anyway. I rarely give it to anyone.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I have a second address that I send from. Can't is rather subjective. My gmail has always just been a backup anyway. I rarely give it to anyone.

Then most likely you aren't in the majority here...I think folks are looking for ways to use Gmail with push capabilities as a primary email, including being able to send from Gmail.

soft-touch

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
Birmingham
Does the "Add Send-and-Receive account" takes care of forwarding from the email address?

Attachments

• 2013-09-28_22-35-17.png
    2013-09-28_22-35-17.png
    60 KB · Views: 192

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Then most likely you aren't in the majority here...I think folks are looking for ways to use Gmail with push capabilities as a primary email, including being able to send from Gmail.

I find its not a good idea to rely on anything google. I will be porting my GVoice number to my phone line soon, since they are so unreliable, I'm waiting for them to announce it's closure any day now.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
How bout using the gmail app for notifications, then the mail app (with fetch on manual) to actually read and respond ?

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
I don't know why but I did everything correctly and STILL get messages about 4-5 minutes late. What am I doing wrong I followed everything step by step...

soft-touch

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
Birmingham
For now, forwarding all my emails (4) to Gmail account is the best working for me. I only use Mailbox to get all notification from the Gmail.

Forwarding to iCloud would have been a better ideal, but I discovered emails forward to iCloud are always delayed, and no way to reply with my original email except icloud mail

Push mail from outlook.com to iOS 6.1.4 has not been successful for me, for both regular POP3 and Exchange server setup, maybe it is different on iOS 7.

I'm only waiting for a way to make Mailbox my default Mail app.

Edited
Outlook push now works for me, thanks for this tip

Last edited:

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
We've talked about this. The problem with forwarding to iCloud is when you reply, people will see your iCloud address instead of Gmail. Some of us can't/won't change email addresses.

If you put your SMTP address as the Gmail server this solves the problem of sending from iCloud. Users see it is coming from Gmail but the problem is all new mail messages go from iCloud address, therefore you also have to set up a Gmail account which is pretty pointless as it downloads the message twice.

All solutions are messy to me. I'm just using fetch and have a lot less love for google. Even using their application for notifications isn't great because you have to wait for the mail app to download the message which gives you a delay

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Anyway, how are you managing mail in your mac after forwarding it to another email provider? I think that setting the outlook (in my case) account also on my mac might be the best idea... does anyone has a better idea?

I think the easiest way to do it is a clean break - i.e. setup gmail's forwarding so that it deletes every email after it forwards it on to the outlook.com account.

You can also migrate your entire gmail account, folders and mails, etc. over to outlook.com first when you do this so that you just have gmail as a "proxy" if you will, so you don't have to ever go in there again and just start using the outlook.com account as primary.

In fact, the easiest way to do this migration is to skip the whole set up to send from the gmail.com account. You will still get all the emails that people send to your old email account, and you will have all the old emails migrated over to the outlook account, so you won't miss anyting at all, and people will eventually just start replying to you outlook address, and even if they don't, it will be seamless to them and to you, nobody will miss anything...

Follow this guide if you want to cut your google cord.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011519/how-to-move-from-gmail-to-outlook-com.html

I might just do this myself for my private accounts. We use Google Apps for business for work, and it is good value for money, but they have devalued their free services to the point of forcing one away unless you are willing to use their app offerings exclusively. Fair play to them for trying to go more vertical and lock people into an ecosystem (sound familiar?) but that actually goes against what drew me and most early adopters to them in the first place, which was supposed to be free and great services for all (albeit where you are the product, not the customer). Now they want to monetise both sides of their business, and make money from both the product itself (its users) and their customers (the corporate marketing machines that purchase the rights to know everything about all of us google users) and that seems to be getting a tad greedy for me.

Last edited:

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
So I've been testing both Outlook and iCloud as a gmail forward account so far it seems iCloud doesn't have the missing email issue that Outlook does.

I'm still waiting for MSFT to let me know why not all of my forwarded gmail is showing up, but it seems that iCloud has it all nailed.

I'm not sure about the SMTP settings just yet since it defaults to my iCloud email when replying but I can easily change it to my gmail account.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
I find that it's much easier to use Google's Gmail app. It's UI is pretty good, I like it more than Mail app. The only issue is that there is no background refresh yet, but hopefully it will be fixed soon with an update for iOS 7

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Can't deal with the fact that lazy people won't simply download Gmail for iOS when it has been reviewed and tested and praised as an excellent solution for this...

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Can't deal with the fact that lazy people won't simply download Gmail for iOS when it has been reviewed and tested and praised as an excellent solution for this...

Praised? By whom? Not me. No offline support. Slow loading. No delete all function. No ability to customize. Sounds like using the app is lazy.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Praised? By whom? Not me. No offline support. Slow loading. No delete all function. No ability to customize. Sounds like using the app is lazy.

Gmail is anything but slow, and what do you mean by customization like special sounds for certain people? give me a break, there are other alternaties liike mailbox... but seriously the native app is worse than gmail.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I've been using the "See Gmail badge, open up native Mail" method which seems to work OK.
One complaint I have about the Gmail app is that it doesn't have a "No Preview" option for the lock screen. Also a sound option so my incoming mail doesn't sound like my wife's device would be nice too.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I want a single mailbox, that is my reasoning for not using the gmail app directly. I have a work account, yahoo, and gmail and need a single app that supports all of these, the native mail app does this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.