Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Really? You have gmail set up as an exchange? Do you have a refurb? Is it possible the device id is grandfathered? When did you activate this device?

I've had it for about over a year now.
It's not a refurb.
I activated it over a year ago.

All of my attempts to setup exchange for gmail using m.google.com have failed.

"Cannot get mail.
The connection to the server failed."

Yet with the same info, going directly to gmail.com website, I can login with the same info. The account is many years old. The phone is over a year old. Everyone here will blame the user and say it works just fine. This user is following all available instructions(exchange, m.google.com, my account info), and it is not working as described.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Or you could just setup Gmail as exchange.

This no longer works on new devices.

----------

It's not a refurb.

"Cannot get mail.

Yet with the same info, going directly to gmail.com website, I can login with the same info. The account is many years old. The phone is over a year old. Everyone here will blame the user and say it works just fine. This user is following all available instructions(exchange, m.google.com, my account info), and it is not working as described.

You should be grandfathered in then. Are you using the correct settings?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
Or you could just setup Gmail as exchange.

latetotheparty.jpg

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
It's not a refurb.

"Cannot get mail.

You should certainly be grandfathered in. Sounds like you're doing it right. When you put in your user name, you are putting in the whole xxx@gmail.com, including the gmail.com, right? In both places?

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Quite pleased with the Outlook.com workaround. I had an issue with the notifications not working, but I went in and turned them all off, hard reboot the phone, turned them back on and that cleared the issue. All my replies come from my gmail address and are synced with my Gmail account. Thanks to the OP for the instructions.

Gotta love that I have to use a MSFT service to get Google email on my Apple device. :rolleyes:

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Don't know what to tell you. I feel like I'm in the same boat. My gmail will NOT forward to outlook.com. It seems to work for almost everybody but me.

Doesn't work for me, either, and the gmail app seems to get delayed sometimes. Sometimes it's instant push, other times I seem to get notified an hour or more later than the time stamp on the email. So my quest for push gmail on the iPhone continues. Hope I can figure it out or I might be headed back to android. Push is a must for me.

Edit: perhaps I spoke too soon about the gmail app. Apparently gmail is having known problems today resulting in delays. That might be the source of my problems. Naturally I had just started using the gmail app last night, so I figured the problems had to do with the app.

Last edited:

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Change

Maybe it isn't the device, but it is the email provider? Gmail (Google) dropped "push" support for all but their own devices!

I say push back at Google! Find a new email provider who supports what you need!!! People talk about "Apple Sheep", well this seems to me to be a case of "Google Sheep" !

I've said it before: if your local pizza shop stopped delivering, would you go get it or find another pizza shop that DOES deliver???

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Doesn't work for me, either, and the gmail app seems to get delayed sometimes. Sometimes it's instant push, other times I seem to get notified an hour or more later than the time stamp on the email. So my quest for push gmail on the iPhone continues. Hope I can figure it out or I might be headed back to android. Push is a must for me.

Edit: perhaps I spoke too soon about the gmail app. Apparently gmail is having known problems today resulting in delays. That might be the source of my problems. Naturally I had just started using the gmail app last night, so I figured the problems had to do with the app.

When I turned on forwarding, it took about 10 minutes to start up. Now its instant.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Maybe it isn't the device, but it is the email provider? Gmail (Google) dropped "push" support for all but their own devices!

I say push back at Google! Find a new email provider who supports what you need!!! People talk about "Apple Sheep", well this seems to me to be a case of "Google Sheep" !

I've said it before: if your local pizza shop stopped delivering, would you go get it or find another pizza shop that DOES deliver???

I've been using Gmail since it launched as a Beta service all those years ago but as much as I am prepared to use workarounds such as Mailbox or the Gmail app, push e-mail is vital to me. Over the last month I have been testing with an Outlook.com account, it gives me push and everything else I need so I might just have to use Outlook as my primary account from now on.

Mailbox is excellent and is an excellent workaround but it's still a third party app at the end of the day. The Gmail app is a bit of a calamity and Google infuriated millions of Gmail users with stupid and annoying UI changes over the last few months. Having said that, I tried to upgrade my existing Google account to a Google Apps for Business account but you cannot upgrade a Gmail account. So even though I was prepared to pay whatever it took to get EAS back Google roadblocks every avenue.

I honestly, honestly hope I can get EAS working with my Gmail account on my new iPhone when it arrives, but if not I will just have to migrate to Outlook. At least Microsoft can give me what I require.

Like you so rightly say, you should go with the service provider who provides what you need.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Several years ago before Gmail started offering activesync, I used a 3rd party service nuevasync.com. You set up their server as an Exchange server for your phone, and it connects to your gmail account via IMAP(-idle) on their end. Unlike iOS's IMAP implementation, nuevasync does IMAP-idle which is able to get emails pushed to their server and in turn pushed to your phone.

Of course I stopped using their service after Google started its own Exchange service. The cost is currently $30/yr.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Several years ago before Gmail started offering activesync, I used a 3rd party service nuevasync.com. You set up their server as an Exchange server for your phone, and it connects to your gmail account via IMAP(-idle) on their end. Unlike iOS's IMAP implementation, nuevasync does IMAP-idle which is able to get emails pushed to their server and in turn pushed to your phone.

Of course I stopped using their service after Google started its own Exchange service. The cost is currently $30/yr.

Interesting! Thank you for the heads up!

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012

I used to use them as well. Neither their website or twitter have been updated in years. If you're going to pay the $30, the extra $20 for google Apps may be worth it.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I used to use them as well. Neither their website or twitter have been updated in years. If you're going to pay the $30, the extra $20 for google Apps may be worth it.

You can't keep your @gmail.com account with Google Apps though, otherwise I'd have signed up in a heartbeat. As it's aimed as businesses you have to supply your own domain or buy one when you sign up to Google Apps.

ELSELS

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
What is "Mailbox", part of iOS 7?

As said above, just install Mailbox. Problem solved in 5 seconds.

Hello:

I hope that you don't mind me asking, but I don't know the answer, :confused: -therefore I need to ask the question: :)

Which program (APP) are you making reference to, about INSTALL MAILBOX?

Thanks,

Have a nice day...

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.