Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xiao_Xi

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2021
Leaks for the first non Surface devices

• WalkingCat (@_h0x0d_) is reputable for Microsoft things

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 14(.5) 2024 Snapdragon Edition

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s G5 Snapdragon Edition (this is usually primarily a business laptop line, which makes it interesting)
It looks like Lenovo will unveil these laptops at an upcoming event in Shanghai in the next few days.

The wait is almost over to see if the hype was worth it or not.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
sweet, less waiting time for more news and maybe reviews, if true.

Very surprised Microsoft isn't the first one to officially unveil the x-elite devices though. (scheduled for May 20), just ahead of build.

Reactions: Chuckeee

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I’m curious about 12inch and 13inch models with OLED than weight less than 1.2KG

Curious to the ramping up of these chips, curious about Thinkpad models and Latitude

Reactions: Chuckeee

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
To Admins: shouldn't this thread be in the News Discussion section?

From the performance perspective, there is nothing surprising if these cheeps outperform M2 series, as these are the previous generation.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Here's some more information from NotebookCheck about the Thinkpad model I was talking about:

About the IO

• 1x 3.5 mm jack
  • 1x HDMI
  • 1x Kensington Lock slot
  • 2x USB Type-A
  • 2x USB Type-C
Leaks for the first non Surface devices

• WalkingCat (@_h0x0d_) is reputable for Microsoft things

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 14(.5) 2024 Snapdragon Edition

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s G5 Snapdragon Edition (this is usually primarily a business laptop line, which makes it interesting)
Oops didn't see this above, but yeah these are so far the best two models I have found thus far!

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
Here's some more information from NotebookCheck about the Thinkpad model I was talking about:

About the IO

• 1x 3.5 mm jack
  • 1x HDMI
  • 1x Kensington Lock slot
  • 2x USB Type-A
  • 2x USB Type-C

Oops didn't see this above, but yeah these are so far the best two models I have found thus far!
If it’s built like the old thinkpads, this is shaping up to be a fantastic computer.

Xiao_Xi

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2021
VideoCardz reports that Qualcomm will introduce these 4 models tomorrow.
SNAPDRAGON-X-ELITE-PLUS-SPECS-e1713878672371.jpg

Update: Qualcomm has revealed more information about its SoCs.

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

84 > 80 (4 gap) but 80 > 78 ( 2 gap). But the hyphens seem far more clear than the leaked geekbench of all smashed together X1E80100 . The 'X1E' probably goes to X2E next version and the suffix can be repeated.

Some other rumors had an even weaker Plus. The GPU core count probably could be dialed back a bit more to squeeze into some smaller enclosures where performance wasn't as much an issue. ( three SKU with exactly the same GPU TFLOPs is probably enough) . A '64' > '60' and perhaps also give up some small clock all around (e.g., an iPad Pro like device ).

Looks very much like clocks , CPU cores , and/or GPU cores binned all from the same single base die.

Won't be surprising if X2E/X2P that '-200' (or -275 , -285 , etc ) is a integrated modem while '-100' is just plain. Would be odd is it was for die sizes ( -200 bigger , -300 bigger still ). They have got '90' and '50-20' to go bigger/smaller.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Here a just-released report that Qualcomm has been lying about Snapdragon X Elite's performance and way over-inflating the results. See: https://www.semiaccurate.com/2024/0...g-on-their-snapdragon-x-elite-pro-benchmarks/"

I don’t know whether they are really lying, but the initial Linux results do appear to be produced on machines with power management perpetually locked into highest power state. I would be surprised if we see these high scores in end user equipment, especially since they now lowered the peak clock.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
I don't really care about benchmarks or performance/show off presentations whether is from Qualcom, Intel, AMD, Apple, Nvidia and whomever. It's just a marketing d*ck measuring contest for the most part anyway.

But I'm glad we now know it's 4 SKUs for the launch.

I'll try to get some of the first devices from different OEMs to test them for my use cases and then ideally return all of them except one - hopefully a fanless, long battery life, thin and light.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
What a turn of events, looking forward to real reviews and user benchmarks. But honestly it's not surprising after seeing it running on Linux, you could see the high wattage from that video that have circulated around

cbum

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2015
Baltimore
I don’t know whether they are really lying

It's not just Demerjian, here from AnandTech:

"Heading up the chip stack is the fastest, fully-enabled Snapdragon X Elite chip, the X1E-84-100.
./.
Compared to their October demos, however, there are a couple of important points to point out – areas where the chip specs have been downgraded. First and foremost, the peak dual core clockspeed on the chip (what Qualcomm calls Dual Core Boost) will only be 4.2GHz, instead of the 4.3GHz clockspeeds we saw in Qualcomm’s early demos. The LPDDR5X memory frequency has also taken an odd hit, with this chip topping out at LPDDR5X-8448, rather than the LPDDR5X-8533 data rate we saw last year. This is all of 85MHz or 1GB/second of memory bandwidth, but it’s an unexpected shift since 8448 isn’t a normal LPDDR5X speed grade.
Qualcomm has not offered any explanation for the lowered specifications. I can only presume that they’ve had a harder time yielding chips with CPU cores that can hit 4.3GHz than the company was initially expecting, especially looking at the rest of the chip stack."

Don't know if both reports are hitting on related issues or not.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It's not just Demerjian, here from AnandTech:

"Heading up the chip stack is the fastest, fully-enabled Snapdragon X Elite chip, the X1E-84-100.
./.
Compared to their October demos, however, there are a couple of important points to point out – areas where the chip specs have been downgraded. First and foremost, the peak dual core clockspeed on the chip (what Qualcomm calls Dual Core Boost) will only be 4.2GHz, instead of the 4.3GHz clockspeeds we saw in Qualcomm’s early demos. The LPDDR5X memory frequency has also taken an odd hit, with this chip topping out at LPDDR5X-8448, rather than the LPDDR5X-8533 data rate we saw last year. This is all of 85MHz or 1GB/second of memory bandwidth, but it’s an unexpected shift since 8448 isn’t a normal LPDDR5X speed grade.
Qualcomm has not offered any explanation for the lowered specifications. I can only presume that they’ve had a harder time yielding chips with CPU cores that can hit 4.3GHz than the company was initially expecting, especially looking at the rest of the chip stack."

Don't know if both reports are hitting on related issues or not.

I suspect largely different issues. Trying to roll out a new platform via multiple vendors on bleeding edge LPDDR5X isn't going to lower system costs if have 4-5 system vendors get into a bidding war on limited supply. ( is Qualcomm sells multiple chip packages with the RAM already soldered onto that 'board' or just the main SoC chip package ? Whenever Qualcomm shows it in their presentation it is just the SoC. Anandtech article ... snapshot of just a chip package. ). Likewise if 2-3 vendors do supply hoarding the other competitors can ship as much competition.

Does LPDDR5-8448 let more suppliers into the solution set? Pragmatically a 'first iteration' so there is likely some substantial guessing going on for the supply/demand balance. It probably wouldn't take much to throw that off if folks are skittish on some competitive advantage if 'miss out'.

X Elite ship date has flopped around a lot over the last 2+ years. That probably isn't helping line up supply and demand much either.

Intel Ultra (Meteor Lake ) is only 7467

About the same for AMD 8040 series ~7500 . Some rumors put AMD strix point at LPDDR5X 8500 ( which is higher but also less than 8533 ). If Strix Point comes in sub 8500 also from same system vendors there is a chance it could be a common supply pool issue. ( at least in 2024).

As for the Semiaccurate issue with System vendors not seeing the same results. It appears several vendors are just throwing same chassis at the Qualcomm SoC. How vendors this is their first time PC Qualcomm board after XX years doing Intel models. Intel spends lots of effort 'handing hands' and 'triaging' issue for folks in the design phase. It has taken AMD years to get more traction in laptop space, in part because it was 'easier' to do stable Intel versions

Given there are more system vendors doing a Qualcomm based product this time ( and far more variations being shipped) there is a decent chance that 1-2 systems will be stinkers (or at least have hiccups). Everyone getting it 100% right on the first try ... really?

Apple has a relatively very narrow range of products to spend more time on fewer products. Heck, most years some Mac usually gets completely left out of the update rotation. Apple doesn't even do the whole product line consistently. This is going to be 4-9x as many different systems than Apple will ship this year. Coordinating and herding 'all of the cats' is skill that Qualcomm really had to do at this level in this space before.

Has Qualcomm or a System vendor dropped the ball somewhere on this path? Probably. Charlie has a tendacy of finding a few folks who are complaining and turning it into a drama festival.

That said, I think Qualcomm has probably overplayed the "better than M-series" hype card too much. They really primarily need to beat Intel and trade more blows with AMD (GPU wise they aren't going to 'win' at the top end.).
However, it is also lots harder for them to displace x86-64 in super hard core system vendors. They needed a "fear of missing out" vibe to get a bigger critical mass of vendors on board. if they shoot at trying to get 7 vendors on board with decent SoC buying flow and only get 5 it still likely would be a 'win'. That's better than what they had before. Just move on to a better rollout for X2E/X2P. Nothing miraculous is going to happen "over night".

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Wasn't Andrei Frumusanu hired at Qualcomm to avoid such shenanigans?
Honestly, it is not that much of a surprise. This has been the problem with benchmarking for many many years. Companies become more interested in gaming benchmarking software than actual usable performance for the average consumer. Qualcomm was just a bit more blatant about and committed the ultimate sin of getting caught. In the end all that matters is how chips perform in commercial systems by real users performing real tasks.

All Qualcomm did was prove that they are no better than Intel or any of the others.

And once again validate the limitations of relying on benchmarking software.

Reactions: bousozoku and Homy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.