Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Edit: I think most political jokes are allowed but only inside threads tagged as such.
I don't think political jokes are permitted, unless it was made in the political news forum. Maybe that's what you're meant when you said threads tagged as such. I can't be sure

Reactions: icanhazmac

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I don't think political jokes are permitted, unless it was made in the political news forum. Maybe that's what you're meant when you said threads tagged as such. I can't be sure

Yes, that is what I meant. 👍

I tend to forget it is a forum and focus on the disclaimer at the bottom as a "tag":

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

tolsen718

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2019
My preference is "no", as long as context is taken into account. I think jokes and humor (this does not include disinformation, conspiracy theories, propaganda, or simple reposts of hash tag and video memes) should be allowed on most articles but are out of place on certain topics.

To me, a public service announcement about an alert that is being pushed to every cell phone in a country is one of those topics.

The jokes and humor were about a political conspiracy theory though.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The jokes and humor were about a political conspiracy theory though.

It’s kind of a slippery slope. The issue with that is when/where to draw the line. Is saying “a b c” ok? What about “j k l”? We know that “x y z” will bring the hammer down. My kids used to pick on each other, and when called out on it, their response was “I was kidding, it was a joke”. That didn’t fly very often then, and I wonder how well it would fly here.

tolsen718

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2019
It’s kind of a slippery slope. The issue with that is when/where to draw the line. Is saying “a b c” ok? What about “j k l”? We know that “x y z” will bring the hammer down. My kids used to pick on each other, and when called out on it, their response was “I was kidding, it was a joke”. That didn’t fly very often then, and I wonder how well it would fly here.

You cannot draw the line without bringing one's own political views in. This is where the bias is.

I am not saying jokes are not allowed. I am saying that if some *political* jokes are not allowed, then *no* political jokes should be allowed.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
The only complaint I have is that I have had post deleted or warning served for probably the dumbest reasons where they didn’t consider the context of the thread. And then, when reaching out for a friendly discussion with a moderator, they don’t even respond.

My thought is that if you’re going to have the power to hand out a warning, then show the power to back it up when challenged.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My thought is that if you’re going to have the power to hand out a warning, then show the power to back it up when challenged.
The policy is to use the contact us link for any moderation questions and so the mods are not ignoring you, but following policy. With that said, I think a response back would sometimes clear up a lot of questions, and also improve the communications.

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
The policy is to use the contact us link for any moderation questions and so the mods are not ignoring you, but following policy. With that said, I think a response back would sometimes clear up a lot of questions, and also improve the communications.
For sure. Especially when the warning comes in a private message, a response would be nice.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
The only complaint I have is that I have had post deleted or warning served for probably the dumbest reasons where they didn’t consider the context of the thread. And then, when reaching out for a friendly discussion with a moderator, they don’t even respond.

I 100% agree with that. I respect the job that moderators are doing, and I know how hard it can be. But they must be able to justify their decisions and to be responsive. This is how accountability works

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I 100% agree with that. I respect the job that moderators are doing, and I know how hard it can be.
Agreed.
But they must be able to justify their decisions and to be responsive.
No, not at all.

Why "must" they be able to - have to, be obliged to - justify their actions?

There is no "must" to this, not at all, as this is a privately owned site.

Rather than "must" (for there is no "must" to this), one might more credibly argue that "it would be quite nice if this occurred".
This is how accountability works
Yes, but privately owned companies do not need to be accountable to anyone other than their owner(s).

(And yes, granted, I will concede that it took me quite some time to digest this lesson).

The thing is, this is a privately owned site, - the owners make the rules, rules we all have signed up to when we joined the site - and, therefore, as a privately owned site, the site owners are under no obligation whatsoever to be accountable to the membership.

This is not a requirement on the part of the people who own (and run) the site.

Moreover, this is not a democracy - where individuals who have been elected to office are expected to be accountable to their respective electorates - still less a company where the members are shareholders, where they can hold management to account at the company's AGM.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Agreed.

No, not at all.

Rather than "must" (for there is no "must" to this), one might more credibly argue that "it would be quite nice if this occurred".

Yes, but privately owned companies do not need to be accountable to anyone other than their owner(s).

(And yes, granted, I will concede that it took me quite some time to digest this lesson).

The thing is, this is a privately owned site, - the owners make the rules, rules we all have signed up to when we joined the site - and, therefore, as a privately owned site, the site owners are under no obligation whatsoever to be accountable to the membership.

This is not a requirement on the part of the people who own (and run) the site.

Moreover, this is not a democracy - where individuals elected to office elected are expected to be accountable to their respective electorates - still less a company where the members are shareholders, where they can hold amnagemnet to account at the company's AGM.
I think this is where we get into the conversation of "What the mods have to do" and "What is the right thing to do".

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada

Well okay, legally they do not owe us anything, you're right. But it's not like there is only one possible interpretation of a rule. I agree with all the rules on this forum, I disagree with the way they are interpreted and enforced. There is a mutual understanding between MR and its users that as long as you comply with the rules, you can post whatever you want on the forum.

Now, I appreciate the fact that moderation is rarely a black or white situation, and most of the time is a grey area where there could be conflicting interpretations of how a specific rule should apply. But this is another reason why a justification from the mods is important. If MR wants to keep its users happy, it has to offer more than the bare minimum.

Reactions: ATX_wapiti

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think this is where we get into the conversation of "What the mods have to do" and "What is the right thing to do".
What is consdiered "Right" in the context of evolving and developing patterns of behaviour on online platforms is something that is - by definition - extraordinarily subjective, and will, inevitably, give rise to dramatically different opinions.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
What is consdiered "Right" in the context of evolving and developing patterns of behaviour on online platforms is something that is - by definition - extraordinarily subjective, and will, inevitably, give rise to dramatically different opinions.

I would say that if you are going to give someone on this forum a warning, and they replied to that warning asking for clarification, that offering a response would be the right thing to do.

Reactions: fwmireault

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I would say that if you are going to give someone on this forum a warning, and they replied to that warning asking for clarification, that offering a response would be the right thing to do.

I can only speak to my experience but every time I have questioned a moderation decision I have received a reply. Not discounting the experiences of others, just offering a data point.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
But, such communications - warnings, reprimands, a time-out - tend to be private, they are sent by DM to an individual member.

Why seek to have it discussed publicly as a warning is - by definition - communicated between you and the staff and takes place in private, for it is sent by DM.

And here, I write - and find myself taking a similar stance to that of @icanhazmac - and I also write as someone who has received warnings, and who has disagreed (at times vehemently) with decisions taken by the staff, especially in the days when this site had a forum where political stuff (and socio-economic matters, among others) were discussed, at times, passionately.

In the absence of regulation, (and I'm European, hence my views on such matters may differ quite dramatically from those held by some in the US), this is a privately owned site - one which, when we signed up upon joining the site, we agreed to abide by the rules - and that means that the owner(s) are accountable only to themselves, not to shareholders, not to an electorate, and, above all, not to members of the site.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
But, such communications - warnings, reprimands, a time-out - tend to be private, tey are sent by DM to an individual member.

Why seek to have it discussed publicly as a warning is - by definition - communicated between you and the staff and takes place in private, for it is sent by DM.

And here, I write - and find myself taking a similar stance to that of @icanhazmac - and I also write as someone who has received warnings, and who has disagreed (at times vehemently) with decisions taken by the staff, especially in the days when this site had a forum where political stuff (and socio-economic matters, among others) were discussed, at times, passionately.

In the absence of regulation, (and I'm European, hence my views on such matters may differ quite dramatically from those held by some in the US), this is a privately owned site - one which, when we signed up upon joining the site, we agreed to abide by the rules - and that means that the owner(s) are accountable only to themselves, not to shareholders, not to an electorate, and, above all, not to members of the site.
I'm not looking for public conversations regarding warnings at all.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I can only speak to my experience but every time I have questioned a moderation decision I have received a reply.
Likewise.

Now, for what it is worth, I may not have much liked the reply - and, indeed, there have been occasions when I most certainly did not - but, yes, any time I questioned a moderation decision, I have received a reply, sometimes, quite a detailed and thoughtful and closely-argued reply.

Reactions: icanhazmac

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I 100% agree with that. I respect the job that moderators are doing, and I know how hard it can be. But they must be able to justify their decisions and to be responsive. This is how accountability works
Mods are told to refer moderated members to the contact us (support ticket) process if they question moderation.

The reason for this is so there is transparency among the mods and admins about what is occurring with moderation. If, for example, there is a mod who has gone off the reservation and is way out of sync with policy, and that mod is handling complaints privately with members over PM, the admins won't notice there might be a problem.

I ordinarily just refer any PM complaints to the contact us process. Occasionally, if I get a polite PM from a member just trying to understand where they went wrong, I'll try to explain, then I document what I did. I can think of some examples where a member PM'd me an explanation pointing out something I missed, and I reversed the moderation.

The mods are held accountable as part of that contact us review process the admins conduct. I realize this might not be the kind of public accountability you have in mind though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.