Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
... how would you feel if, instead of crippling the processor speed, Apple implemented some other hypothetical power saving virus “feature” for phones via unreversible iOS update such as:
  • Instead of having a maximum brightness of 500-600 nits... the phone now only allows a maximum of 250-350 nits.
  • Instead of being able to get continuous location information via GPS during navigation... the phone now only acquires your location every 3-5 min.
  • Instead of being able to stream video via cellular... you can now only do so via WiFi.
  • Instead of being able to choose the how long the display is on before it goes to sleep... the phone now always goes to sleep after just 30-seconds.
  • Instead of being able to choose which video recording mode... you can now only record at 480p / 15fps.
Would any of the above still be ok for Apple to do without letting their customers know ahead of time or giving them an option to shut it off?

“But... but... but... Apple always knows what’s best for the customer and did the only thing possible given the situation!”... Riiiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

I could give more examples like the ones above, but I think you get the point. Apple was completely shady with their lack of transparency on this issue and how they forcefully crippled device processors without letting their customers know with no way to downgrade anymore.

Just another example of Apples heavy-handed approach of not giving users any choice or option (even if an update downgrades the experience) and in general just not giving a **** about customers on the software side of things once they have their money :oops:

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Why is everyone so shocked that a major corporation wasn’t 100% transparent with their customer? You’re acting like this is the first time this has happened.

Look, it’s real simple. You don’t like the lack of transparency, go buy another device. You think Google is any better? Good luck.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Why is everyone so shocked that a major corporation wasn’t 100% transparent with their customer? You’re acting like this is the first time this has happened.

You sound as if crippling your customers devices via software update, instead of providing an adequate fix, and then not saying anything about it is an ok thing to do.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Google, Samsung, Apple, etc... all companies should be held to a higher standard than that.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
I just think they should have come clean when they discovered this issue, and gave users a choice, let us choose if we want to be throttled a bit to avoid early shutdowns, and give a message about it. Give an option to replace a worn battery-schedule appointment with Apple to do it, etc. And yes, I believe they should also give ability to downgrade iOS when issues arise like that. Ok, yeah, don’t support it anymore, but let us make that choice..

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
This is a perfect example of how net neutrality will work. They'll deliberately cripple the speed of a perfectly functional device unless you pay more.

Apple has dug their own hole here with the expected annual updates and the inability to create something groundbreaking each time. So they cripple those of us who don't want to update every time. It's a dick move and anyone who thinks large corporations won't take advantage of it need look no further than Apple here.

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

Look, it’s real simple. You don’t like the lack of transparency, go buy another device. You think Google is any better? Good luck.
So because you think a next company is just as bad then that gives Apple the right to be huh?

It happened before so who cares if it's wrong, it gives apple the right to do it in your opinion.

Not sure about you, but from I was a kid I learned 2 wrongs don't make a right. But obviously you have different view points when it comes to that.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm just amazed how many here are defending Apple on this. I'm a fan of Apple and will continue to purchase their products but do think this was mishandled. Apple does not get a pass because other companies may do this. I don't care what they do. This is about Apple.

Not defending doesn't do jack, so if you really want to not defend them then you wouldn't buy their products any longer. So you are pretty much having the same impact as those defending them.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Lmao. You guys all up in arms about your phone slowing down half a second loading your call of duty game after 2 years of use crack me up.

Yes. I agree. Let’s all return our phones and hold Apple accountable for their evil ways! Well show em. If we all return our iPhones, the richest company on the planet will go bankrupt and Life will be better.

Let me know how this all works out for you guys.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Not defending doesn't do jack, so if you really want to not defend them then you wouldn't buy their products any longer. So you are pretty much having the same impact as those defending them.

And that's fine and is your opinion. I do not agree with what every company does. So I will continue to buy Apple products and will still remain unhappy how they are handling this.

Reactions: Hal~9000

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
How do you propose Apple should have told iPhone owners about the throttling?
You can’t reason with people who don’t want to listen. Even if Tim Cook would of went to every Apple customers house and personally explained to them why Apple implemented this course of action people would find a way to complain.. You’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t.

LA_LEE

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
Los Angeles
The important thing is not to lock yourself into any ecosystem, and if you have, get yourself out. That way you are in a position to vote with your wallet next time.

I agree and after this and the mess that ios11 is I am done with apple. I don't use their computers and now that the smartphone is full of choices with more on the way all the time there are plenty of choices to go to. I know what most will say...don't let the door hit you on the way out. No problem...I don't want to hang around people who would accept this anyway so bye bye!

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
It's completely reversible - have your battery replaced!

Apple should have let consumers know when they implemented this feature. THAT - and only that - was the gaffe.

It's possible there's a safety issue here, and if so, it would not be wise for Apple to allow consumers to turn off the throttling - even with a waiver of liability. Remember, Samsung COMPLETELY DISABLED the troublesome Galaxy S7 due to safety concerns (and of course recalled the phones).

I've had two "battery incidents" which fortunately did no great harm - third-party Macbook battery bulged to the point it bulged the battery compartment cover (older macbook with replaceable battery) and AR-Drone battery popped in the charger overnight, leaving a scorch mark on the wall. Anything Apple or anyone else does to make this less likely is welcome.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.