Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Apple should have just let the phones with the bad batteries die. Then they would have actually benefited from it. Instead, they prolonged the life of people's phones and now have a bunch of children complaining like Apple owes them something.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People were complaining about phones feeling laggy well before it was known for a fact that Apple throttled them. You put "throttling" in quotes as if you dispute it too. It's a fact and if you think a CPU that's running at close 50% of it's original clock speed isn't noticeable, you're crazy.
At the same time, it's interesting how there are many long complaint threads basically year after year over things like fraction of a second differences in responses to something or a few frames being dropped occasionally in some animation somewhere, yet not much about Low Power Mode causing meaningfully noticeable performance effects when in addition to other things it also similarly throttled the CPU.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
Do you know, or are you just throwing out percentages and words, as I suspect?
Your first question and your responses to everyone are pretty indicative of where you stand. It doesn't matter what my answers are but I'm by no means "throwing out percentages". My iPhone 6 clock is now around 845mhz. It should be somewhere closer to 1500mhz. That's close to 50% (I used the word 'close' in my previous comment on purpose).

Why does it now take ~10 seconds to share a photo to a Message recipient ? It didn't used to. The photos aren't larger. As I get more used to the phone, I'm getting quicker at using it. Well, now I wait on the phone for many things...

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
The whole industry does this so what’s the problem.

IMO I think the problem is the deceptive way it was done. If it wasn't leaked trust me apple wouldn't have said anything.. They were hoping that no one would notice and they would sell more devices. Is it right I don't think it is.

Apple should give customers the right to decide what they want to do. Instead of having it in the release notes why not have it pop up on the screen before upgrading or after the update that your performance will be limited due to a decaying battery. Apple doesn't want that because then they lose revenue.. Real shady to say the least..

James

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
So the solution is to purchase a new phone due to battery degradation? Really?

A perfect customer.

And yup this is exactly what apple is hoping for..

It doesn't bother you that they deliberately did something to their devices, without notifying their customers? That's ok with you? That personally bothers me alot, and i'm a fan of their phones.

This is purposefully deceptive in my opinion, and should bother everyone. I was already thinking of going back to Android, anyway.

I agree 100%. Would be the same thing if you bought a new MacBook pro and couldn't always plug it in and found out the performance of your $2500 laptop is cut in half.. I'm sure everyone wouldn't have a problem with that right?

James

sevvere

Suspended
Oct 20, 2017
Would be the same thing if you bought a new MacBook pro and couldn't always plug it in and found out the performance of your $2500 laptop is cut in half.. I'm sure everyone wouldn't have a problem with that right?

James

Probably not. The Apple cultists literally are buying a new iPhones every year or two that has horrible background downloading capability .... and people barely mention it and defend Apple when people like me point it out.

The depths of shilling holds no bounds with some of these people.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Probably not. The Apple cultists literally are buying a new iPhones every year or two that has horrible background downloading capability .... and people barely mention it and defend Apple when people like me point it out.

The depths of shilling holds no bounds with some of these people.

You know, I don’t give a rat’s ass what you haters think or what phones you use, but these constant insults directed at half the members here are pissing me off. I really hope mods do something about this, because not a day goes by that I don’t read how anyone who is not ‘deeply disturbed’ by this throttle stuff is a cultist, sheep, idiot, etc.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
You know, I don’t give a rat’s ass what you haters think or what phones you use, but these constant insults directed at half the members here are pissing me off. I really hope mods do something about this, because not a day goes by that I don’t read how anyone who is not ‘deeply disturbed’ by this throttle stuff is a cultist, sheep, idiot, etc.
When people are arguing against evidence that is right in front of their face, (especially since Apple officially admitted it), there's nothing else that can be said. It's understandable that some people have a bias when they really love something, and it can be hard to admit that when they see evidence that is counter to that belief. It's an emotional reaction by the person, and it evokes an emotional response.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
.............there's nothing else that can be said. ..........

If nothing else can be said, as you so kindly point out, then why say it? Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what the topic is, the same dribble is viewed on all threads. It is tiring no matter which side one is on.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
So when you have a device for a few years and it works perfectly fine, then you install an update and all of a sudden everything is lagging and touch takes multiple seconds to respond, the OBVIOUS issue is something to do with the update (which in this case either enabled the throttling or added more load to the system making it finally feel slow enough to notice), your first reaction is the phone must have been defective the whole time? Of course it wasn't.
[doublepost=1514303664][/doublepost]
Wrong. If throttling is causing things like touches to respond slowly, then you will see this type of thing when answering calls because you need to TOUCH the button to allow it to answer.

Your denial of this issue is truly staggering. You use pretty much every excuse in the book to try to downplay this real issue. Apple should be notifying people that the battery is worn out and that the phone is in a low power mode until it gets replaced, or something similar.
Dude, a 2-3 second to answer the call is just ridiculous. Just return the phone, use the consumer protections...But don't ask me to buy it that CPU throttling is causing that...no way...

Reactions: Bill91LX

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
my friend is temporarily using my 6s.. (broke his 7)
idk, he hasn't said anything about it feeling slow or throttled.

--
is this stuff being based off benchmarks or anecdotal examples?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
my friend is temporarily using my 6s.. (broke his 7)
idk, he hasn't said anything about it feeling slow or throttled.

--
is this stuff being based off benchmarks or anecdotal examples?

All of the above. There appear to be big differences in apparent performance between near identical iPhones. The reason could be battery age or number of charge cycles. Could some buggy background process is stuck and slowing things down on only some devices. Or could be something else completely different. People are drawing crazy conclusions from too small a sample set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.