Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The apple fanboys on this thread defending apple seriously just make me crack up. This was a shambles on Apple's part. Customers should have been notified that their devices were being throttled. Even a notification along the lines of "Battery Capacity has degraded to a point where you may experience slower performance" would have avoided this. Getting your battery replaced is a quick fix, and not very expensive. Apple HID this from consumers.

Reactions: JFCL

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I know I'm wasting my time having a discussion with an Apple fanboy apologist :apple::rolleyes:. I haven't seen ONE complaint about a MBA alert that your battery needs service. Guess I'm just a member of the conspiracy crowd that would prefer the battery alert to an unannounced OS slow down :).

It would be nice, as a woman, to not be constantly called a fanboy
[doublepost=1514059874][/doublepost]
The apple fanboys on this thread defending apple seriously just make me crack up. This was a shambles on Apple's part. Customers should have been notified that their devices were being throttled. Even a notification along the lines of "Battery Capacity has degraded to a point where you may experience slower performance" would have avoided this. Getting your battery replaced is a quick fix, and not very expensive. Apple HID this from consumers.

Or you can take personal responsibility and take a poorly-performing device in for service. But no one likes personal responsibility. Apple didn’t give me a notice about the manufacturing problem with my 6S battery. When I had sudden shutdowns, I used the internet and got an answer and got a free battery. When my Samsung tv’s picture went out and they denied and denied they had a capacitor issue, I got on the internet, figured it out and fixed my tv myself. I know the average person can’t fix things themselves but they certainly have the ability to contact Apple customer service. Every time I have contacted them they have bent over backwards to help me, which is why I’m a fanGIRL

Last edited:
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010

Or you can take personal responsibility and take a poorly-performing device in for service. But no one likes personal responsibility.

Fanboy is a non-gender specific term of ridicule and as posted you meet my criteria, so I'll take personal responsibility for using it :D.

Reactions: SirStrumalot

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC

Or you can take personal responsibility and take a poorly-performing device in for service. But no one likes personal responsibility.

This is assuming everyone has an Apple store close to them to have their phone looked at.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Fanboy is a non-gender specific term of ridicule and as posted you meet my criteria, so I'll take personal responsibility for using it :D.
If it’s non-gender specific, call everyone a fangirl. Or how about you stop being a jerk and just say “fan” instead of trying to make an insinuation that people who don’t agree with you aren’t real manly men like you think you are?

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
It would be nice if we were made aware of the battery issues and could have the option to make an informed decision regarding it ourselves. The feature implemented by Apple alters our perception about the phone's performance, within reason simply due to its age.

Perhaps the technical approach is correct, but communication, or lack thereof, seems to be the much bigger issue at hand.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
If it’s non-gender specific, call everyone a fangirl.
Apple Fangirl,

When you're right, you're right. We finally can agree. :)

I was only posting non-gender specific because to me it didn't make a difference and I had no idea what a Laurim was until you told me. Mea Culpa.

Tom

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
This is assuming everyone has an Apple store close to them to have their phone looked at.

Everyone has the ability to contact Apple to get advice. If they have no ability to get service, they have to buy a new phone anyway so what are they complaining about? This is so stupid.
[doublepost=1514060868][/doublepost]
Apple Fangirl,

When you're right, you're right. We finally can agree. :) I was only posting non-gender specific because to me it didn't make a difference and I had no idea what a Laurim was until you told me. Mea Culpa.

Tom

I used to put FEMALE in my signature but people whined about THAT. Apparently, I’m supposed to have a pink avatar with a kitten in it to let everyone know so they don’t play the “mine is bigger than yours” crap with me.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Everyone has the ability to contact Apple to get advice. If they have no ability to get service, they have to buy a new phone anyway so what are they complaining about? This is so stupid.

So the solution is to purchase a new phone due to battery degradation? Really?

A perfect customer.

Reactions: Hal~9000

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
Does the phone know the battery is getting tired and try to reserve it, or does it slow the older phone down no matter what?

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Or you can take personal responsibility and take a poorly-performing device in for service. But no one likes personal responsibility. Apple didn’t give me a notice about the manufacturing problem with my 6S battery. When I had sudden shutdowns, I used the internet and got an answer and got a free battery. When my Samsung tv’s picture went out and they denied and denied they had a capacitor issue, I got on the internet, figured it out and fixed my tv myself. I know the average person can’t fix things themselves but they certainly have the ability to contact Apple customer service. Every time I have contacted them they have bent over backwards to help me, which is why I’m a fanGIRL
I've been an Apple user for a LONG time, and have an iPhone X. I can still admit apple screwed up here. Like I said, a notification or even a disclaimer would have made this a non-issue. It was the intentional omission that has made Apple look so bad, and rightly so.

I know how to fix issues, but you are assuming every user does (ironic don't you think? "It just works") and that everyone has easy access to an Apple Store. Not to mention, you're not even taking into account that people don't expect to be throttled to iPhone 5/5S levels on a phone that is a year old. That is messed up.

I'll stick by my non-gender specific term because you are a fanboy/fangirl. Fan doesn't work in this case, because I am a fan. A lot of other people are as well. YOU are a fangirl. It's not the same thing. Stop making excuses for a billion dollar company that admitted to something shady *after* being found out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hal~9000

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
So the solution is to purchase a new phone due to battery degradation? Really?

A perfect customer.
No. You said some people don’t have access to repair services ergo, they HAVE to buy a new one, based on your assertion.
[doublepost=1514061823][/doublepost]
I've been an Apple user for a LONG time, and have an iPhone X. I can still admit apple screwed up here. Like I said, a notification or even a disclaimer would have made this a non-issue. It was the intentional omission that has made Apple look so bad, and rightly so.

I know how to fix issues, but you are assuming every user does (ironic don't you think? "It just works") and that everyone has easy access to an Apple Store. Not to mention, you're not even taking into account that people don't expect to be throttled to iPhone 5/5S levels on a phone that is a year old. That is messed up.

I'll stick by my non-gender specific term because you are a fanboy/fangirl. Fan doesn't work in this case, because I am a fan. A lot of other people are as well. YOU are a fangirl. It's not the same thing. Stop making excuses for a billion dollar company that admitted to something shady *after* being found out.

I fail to see why adding “boy” or “girl” is a valid distinction to a difference of opinion. People are allowed to disagree with you without being insulted.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Has anyone here used a device that craps out when there's a power usage spike because the battery can't meet the power demand? It's worse than having your speed reduced. My wife's 4s was doing this a few years ago. She'd have 100% on the battery and it would sometimes last barely more than 15 minutes. It would run down very quickly and once it got down to around 80% it was prone to abruptly shutting down.
That was simply a battery that needed to be replaced. A few years ago was 2015--still four years after the release of the 4S. Of course you could also change the battery in a 4S in just a few minutes. Personally, I would never want Apple to try and make a bad battery like that "work." If "work" means throttling the heck out of a device that was already struggling to run a version of iOS years newer than it ran at release. I'd much rather a warning so I could get the battery serviced.

Mike

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
No. You said some people don’t have access to repair services ergo, they HAVE to buy a new one, based on your assertion.

Not true at all. If the person knows it is the battery causing the problem there are multiple options besides buying a new phone.

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
If it’s non-gender specific, call everyone a fangirl. Or how about you stop being a jerk and just say “fan” instead of trying to make an insinuation that people who don’t agree with you aren’t real manly men like you think you are?

Fanhuman! Can't argue with that!

Fanboy came from an eponymous movie didn't it?

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
....Even a notification along the lines of "Battery Capacity has degraded to a point where you may experience slower performance".....

I agree with that. What I don't agree with is Apple trying to be malicious here. I believe they thought they found a way to handle the issue and didn't think it would cause harm. When the MacBook had known battery issues with with 2011 and they ran out of parts to make the replacement, year later, they gave customers new MacBooks for the price of a battery replacement. Everyone here that speaks ill of Apple's decision just comes across as though it was and Apple conspiracy. I don't believe it was.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I did a search for "slow" and specified only the iphone and child forums and it gave me almost 500 posts just in the last month. It only shows 25 pages of posts with 20 listed posts per page.
I would say the original comment has more than sufficient evidence.

You’re easily handy with searching on your own based on your original post with the threads. Why can’t you simply do it again using posts instead? I’m about to board a flight else I would be searching and screenshotting.

A search for individual Posts with those terms will not provide context. They become simply terms that don’t get anywhere demonstrating the scale that you rawCpoppa suggest there was. When you actually take a look, the amount of threads that have now popped up really turn a mere 500 posts (without context) into statistical insignificans...But hey if you want to belief there boards have been littered since iOS 10 (when this was introduced iirc) then feel free. I can’t see it, nor do my devices demonstrably provide a different experience.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
A search for individual Posts with those terms will not provide context. They become simply terms that don’t get anywhere demonstrating the scale that you rawCpoppa suggest there was. When you actually take a look, the amount of threads that have now popped up really turn a mere 500 posts (without context) into statistical insignificans...But hey if you want to belief there boards have been littered since iOS 10 (when this was introduced iirc) then feel free. I can’t see it, nor do my devices demonstrably provide a different experience.

I never referenced the 500 so don’t misconstrue. Change your search terms to look before those made within the last 2-4 weeks. Have a gander thru the results as well. I’m not just saying look at the numbers. I read thru those posts over the years on macrumors.

Also, how can it be the terms mean no context for me when I’m talking about posts but when it’s searches for threads you are ok with that?

Reactions: Martyimac

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
... how would you feel if, instead of crippling the processor speed, Apple implemented some other hypothetical power saving virus “feature” for phones via unreversible iOS update such as:
  • Instead of having a maximum brightness of 500-600 nits... the phone now only allows a maximum of 250-350 nits.
  • Instead of being able to get continuous location information via GPS during navigation... the phone now only acquires your location every 3-5 min.
  • Instead of being able to stream video via cellular... you can now only do so via WiFi.
  • Instead of being able to choose the how long the display is on before it goes to sleep... the phone now always goes to sleep after just 30-seconds.
  • Instead of being able to choose which video recording mode... you can now only record at 480p / 15fps.
Would any of the above still be ok for Apple to do without letting their customers know ahead of time or giving them an option to shut it off?

“But... but... but... Apple always knows what’s best for the customer and did the only thing possible given the situation!”... Riiiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

I could give more examples like the ones above, but I think you get the point. Apple was completely shady with their lack of transparency on this issue and how they forcefully crippled device processors without letting their customers know with no way to downgrade anymore.

Just another example of Apples heavy-handed approach of not giving users any choice or option (even if an update downgrades the experience) and in general just not giving a **** about customers on the software side of things once they have their money :oops:

Except the point is to lower the frequency of the processor because of something relating to the processor. Asking a whole load of what if questions is pointless and stupid.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I never referenced the 500 so don’t misconstrue. Change your search terms to look before those made within the last 2-4 weeks. Have a gander thru the results as well. I’m not just saying look at the numbers. I read thru those posts over the years on macrumors.

Also, how can it be the terms mean no context for me when I’m talking about posts but when it’s searches for threads you are ok with that?
I wasn’t misconstruing anything, I quoted two people.

Ok, so it’s not the numbers all of a sudden. You are now simply suggesting that some people sometimes may have posted about slowing phones. Yes I can agree with that. But kind of demonstrates my point doesn’t it ;)

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.

Ok, so it’s not the numbers all of a sudden. You are now simply suggesting that some people sometimes may have posted about slowing phones. Yes I can agree with that. But kind of demonstrates my point doesn’t it ;)
Since I was one of the two. You yourself said there were posts about slowing phones, claiming that it was the way it was supposed to be. When it was pointed out that there were MANY posts about the issue not related to thats the way it was supposed to be, you started obfuscating after it was pointed out the other way was actually the issue. Then when I posted 500 posts about slow phones just in the last month, you try and change the direction of the discussion.
The bottom line is this, "The board is littered with posts about slow phones." which you said it wasn't. Proof was offered, you negated it. Sorry, but the boards ARE littered with posts about slow phones, and the avalanche has just begun. Whether you accept that or not is up to you.

Reactions: rawCpoppa

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010

No that is definitely not what I’m simply suggesting. You can agree with what you want to be reality. Does not make it so. Don’t twist my posts.

Not sure why it’s hard for you to follow. You were attempting to negate the posts point by saying they essentially lack context and I was saying you need to dig deeper as simply searching and looking posts stats don’t tell the entire picture. That’s why I said I have read thru actual posts complaining about slow phones for months BEFORE Apple admitted to anything. You clearly haven’t nor have you tried to do anything beyond searching and posting search results without digging deeper.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Would any of the above still be ok for Apple to do without letting their customers know ahead of time or giving them an option to shut it off?

In all of these threads I don’t think I’ve seen a single person say they don’t think Apple should have communicated this change to customers. And I’m sure most would agree that having an option would be a good thing.

Those of us who don’t express the same level of outrage as others simply acknowledged that Apple’s lack of communication about this issue was a corporate mistake and then we moved on. Take it as a sign of a deeper consipiracy if you want to. Sell your Apple products or refuse to buy more if you want to. The choice is yours as a consumer. Perhaps you will feel more comfortable wrapped in the arms of mother Google or Papa Samsung? Heck... I use Google Services like gmail, google drive and docs, google photos, etc. with iOS. I don’t expect to have a personal relationship with any of these companies, but if I feel like a competitor will provide a better overall experience I will give them my business. I’m not going to leave every time one of these companies makes a mistake. That would mean switching platforms more frequently than I care to.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.