Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Since I was one of the two. You yourself said there were posts about slowing phones, claiming that it was the way it was supposed to be. When it was pointed out that there were MANY posts about the issue not related to thats the way it was supposed to be, you started obfuscating after it was pointed out the other way was actually the issue. Then when I posted 500 posts about slow phones just in the last month, you try and change the direction of the discussion.
The bottom line is this, "The board is littered with posts about slow phones." which you said it wasn't. Proof was offered, you negated it. Sorry, but the boards ARE littered with posts about slow phones, and the avalanche has just begun. Whether you accept that or not is up to you.
And the avalanche has just begun.....

That is exactly my point. It wasn’t there previously to the extend it is becoming now.....

We have to agree to disagree, but 500 posts across a minute amount of threads as evidenced is a statically meaningless considering how busy these forums are.
[doublepost=1514094555][/doublepost]
No that is definitely not what I’m simply suggesting. You can agree with what you want to be reality. Does not make it so. Don’t twist my posts.

Not sure why it’s hard for you to follow. You were attempting to negate the posts point by saying they essentially lack context and I was saying you need to dig deeper as simply searching and looking posts stats don’t tell the entire picture. That’s why I said I have read thru actual posts complaining about slow phones for months BEFORE Apple admitted to anything. You clearly haven’t nor have you tried to do anything beyond searching and posting search results without digging deeper.
Why do you keep on trying to steer this into character assassinations. First you accuse me of misconstrued posts, now twisting your words. I have no agenda here and actually offered some evidence to support what I’m saying without personally attacking your character.

I’m merely saying that if you have to dig into individual posts to see what you mean than surely that clearly indicates it wasn’t as widespread as you suggested it it. If it was widespread then whole threads would be dedicated to this.

Let’s just agree to disagree before you start saying something you will regret.

Black05Hemi

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2015
Lmao. You guys all up in arms about your phone slowing down half a second loading your call of duty game after 2 years of use crack me up.

Yes. I agree. Let’s all return our phones and hold Apple accountable for their evil ways! Well show em. If we all return our iPhones, the richest company on the planet will go bankrupt and Life will be better.

Let me know how this all works out for you guys.
It doesn't bother you that they deliberately did something to their devices, without notifying their customers? That's ok with you? That personally bothers me alot, and i'm a fan of their phones.

This is purposefully deceptive in my opinion, and should bother everyone. I was already thinking of going back to Android, anyway.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It doesn't bother you that they deliberately did something to their devices, without notifying their customers? That's ok with you? That personally bothers me alot, and i'm a fan of their phones.

This is purposefully deceptive in my opinion, and should bother everyone. I was already thinking of going back to Android, anyway.

It doesn't bother me at all. I see a lot of consistent complaining about the throttling, but as consumers, you have to remember you have choices to make. You're not tied to Apple or their productline. You can support whatever manufacture you want at any given time. Like you said, you're considering android. And that's your right to do that. But I don't think that takes away from the experience that I have always enjoyed with Apple with iOS, security and the craftsmanship of their products.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
you could also change the battery in a 4S in just a few minutes.
You must have some mad skills because it took me a lot longer than few minutes to change out a 4S battery. It's easier than changing the battery on a iPhone 7, but it still involves prying apart adhesive, tape, and miniscule components that you can barely see without magnification.

Personally, I would never want Apple to try and make a bad battery like that "work." If "work" means throttling the heck out of a device that was already struggling to run a version of iOS years newer than it ran at release. I'd much rather a warning so I could get the battery serviced.

I don't disagree. I know what a worn out battery looks like when I see one. A lot of Apple users wouldn't. They would just be frustrated that their 100% battery abruptly drops to 0 from 60%. Letting them know their battery is shot and giving them the option to run on a reduced power mode would be the best of both worlds and I would bet that most iPhone users would be fine with throttling if given the choice. If you don't know what a decaying battery looks like, you're probably not the type of person who's going to be doing demanding things on your phone anyway.

It wouldn't surprise me if it later came out that the throttling was snuck in there by a small department trying to fake their way past some goals they failed to hit. It just seems weird that someone wouldn't catch this and realize it could go horribly wrong when they already know how to handle battery warnings from their laptops. Apple's a massive company. There's probably all sorts of "too cute" solutions that sneak through from engineers wanting to pad their performance reviews. We'll never know about most of those things... and neither will 99% of the people at Apple.

Reactions: Tinmania

Totemsflare

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
London
For those who want to put their heads in the sand and keep thinking Apple is being nice and looking out for customers by only throttling devices whose battery is very old with a very low capacity...

...here’s a recent post by macrumors member Banan911 whose iPhone 7 (just a year old with 85% battery capacity left) is now trash thanks to Apples new virus “feature” (in 11.2 and beyond for the 7) so that his processor now only works at half its original capabilities even though he had a perfectly capable device before the update: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-throttled-my-iphone-7-by-50.2096562/

First on 11.03, before Apples shady "feature":

View attachment 743432

Now after updating to 11.2.1:

View attachment 743430

Fake news. Whoever frabicated the screenshots forgot to change the time and battery percentages.

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
... how would you feel if, instead of crippling the processor speed, Apple implemented some other hypothetical power saving virus “feature” for phones via unreversible iOS update such as:
  • Instead of having a maximum brightness of 500-600 nits... the phone now only allows a maximum of 250-350 nits.
  • Instead of being able to get continuous location information via GPS during navigation... the phone now only acquires your location every 3-5 min.
  • Instead of being able to stream video via cellular... you can now only do so via WiFi.
  • Instead of being able to choose the how long the display is on before it goes to sleep... the phone now always goes to sleep after just 30-seconds.
  • Instead of being able to choose which video recording mode... you can now only record at 480p / 15fps.
Would any of the above still be ok for Apple to do without letting their customers know ahead of time or giving them an option to shut it off?

“But... but... but... Apple always knows what’s best for the customer and did the only thing possible given the situation!”... Riiiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

I could give more examples like the ones above, but I think you get the point. Apple was completely shady with their lack of transparency on this issue and how they forcefully crippled device processors without letting their customers know with no way to downgrade anymore.

Just another example of Apples heavy-handed approach of not giving users any choice or option (even if an update downgrades the experience) and in general just not giving a **** about customers on the software side of things once they have their money :oops:
I think you completely misunderstand the problem. The problem is that the battery degrades over time (all of them do) and can not provide enough charge to the processor. Instead of subjecting customers to random crashing, they are trying to even out the experience of tech that naturally degrades. None of the hypotheticals you described would address the battery/processor problem. Again, it has NOTHING to do with extending the length of time between charges of the battery but the actual charge that can be provided by a degraded battery, even at 100% charged, to the processor.

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2015
USA
I agree and after this and the mess that ios11 is I am done with apple. I don't use their computers and now that the smartphone is full of choices with more on the way all the time there are plenty of choices to go to. I know what most will say...don't let the door hit you on the way out. No problem...I don't want to hang around people who would accept this anyway so bye bye!
Okay bye. Pretty sure they don’t care

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Fake news. Whoever frabicated the screenshots forgot to change the time and battery percentages.

picard-facepalm.jpg

I’ll try to make this easy to understand...

The person used the Geekbench app on two different days in the past which you can see if you look towards the bottom of each screenshot:
  • Oct 11th at 20:31 when they were on iOS 11.0.3
  • Dec 19th at 21:01 once they had updated to iOS 11.2.1
The fact that their screenshots both have a time of 6:41 and 94% in the top status bar is simply because they opened the Geekbench app at that time and took 2 quick screenshots of their benchmark history within the app so they could post them here at the forum.

I think you completely misunderstand the problem. The problem is that the battery degrades over time (all of them do) and can not provide enough charge to the processor. Instead of subjecting customers to random crashing, they are trying to even out the experience of tech that naturally degrades. None of the hypotheticals you described would address the battery/processor problem. Again, it has NOTHING to do with extending the length of time between charges of the battery but the actual charge that can be provided by a degraded battery, even at 100% charged, to the processor.

No, I understand the situation completely.

I could see adding an option for owners to throttle their own device into the settings app for those experiencing shutdowns, who could then choose to turn it on when their battery degraded over 4 - 5 years down 40-50% capacity... but that’s not the case.

You have people with iPhone 7’s (only 1-year old!) with 85% battery capacity left and previous no shutdown issues whose devices are now being throttled by 50%, through no choice of their own, once they updated their 11.2 with Apple calling it a “feature”.

In a year from now I’m sure we’ll have 8/8+/X owners having the same crippled devices even though they have great battery capacity left like some 7 owners are already experiencing.

That is wrong and a disgusting business practice by Apple. Hope they go down in flames in court for this shady approach with no information given to customers until they were caught red-handed for their planned obsolescence of 1-3 year old devices.

Last edited:

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010

That is exactly my point. It wasn’t there previously to the extend it is becoming now.....

We have to agree to disagree, but 500 posts across a minute amount of threads as evidenced is a statically meaningless considering how busy these forums are.
[doublepost=1514094555][/doublepost]
Why do you keep on trying to steer this into character assassinations. First you accuse me of misconstrued posts, now twisting your words. I have no agenda here and actually offered some evidence to support what I’m saying without personally attacking your character.

I’m merely saying that if you have to dig into individual posts to see what you mean than surely that clearly indicates it wasn’t as widespread as you suggested it it. If it was widespread then whole threads would be dedicated to this.

No need to threaten anyone with that last line.

Whole threads would not be dedicated to the issue simply because owners tended to just think that their device was old and new versions of iOS were more taxing. We now know that these owners had no clue what was really going on. Some of these users even upgraded their devices because they thought that their devices were simply too old. If you don’t even want to bother to drill down that’s on you taking the easy way out simply because it doesn’t support your view on this topic.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So overblown. If the option was to have my phone die because of a bad battery or have Apple do something to extend the life of the phone and not die, I choose the latter.
I agree. However unless apple were offering a free battery replacement people would still moan about having to pay more money for a device they’ve already paid for.

Reactions: bruinsrme

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
For those who want to put their heads in the sand and keep thinking Apple is being nice and looking out for customers by only throttling devices whose battery is very old with a very low capacity...

...here’s a recent post by macrumors member Banan911 whose iPhone 7 (just a year old with 85% battery capacity left) is now trash thanks to Apples new virus “feature” (in 11.2 and beyond for the 7) so that his processor now only works at half its original capabilities even though he had a perfectly capable device before the update: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-throttled-my-iphone-7-by-50.2096562/

First on 11.03, before Apples shady "feature":

View attachment 743432

Now after updating to 11.2.1:

View attachment 743430
One could argue that you ran the test on two different versions of geek bench

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
...here’s a recent post by macrumors member Banan911 whose iPhone 7 (just a year old with 85% battery capacity left) is now trash

The same thing happened with me. I've got an iPhone 7 that's about a year old and has around 85% battery capacity left. I got similarly disappointing Geekbench scores.

I ran it again later and I got a fully normal score. I don't know how Geekbench is supposed to work, but it wouldn't take a computing genius to say that if there were some background processes running, your Geekbench score will take a hit. Unless you physically have Banan911's phone and you can control for the conditions that his tests are running in, the numbers aren't that telling.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.

But once it was known, and the information became more public, the avalanche started. My comment is simple English, the avalanche started and will get bigger. You point was to say that MR wasn't littered with comments when in fact, the slowing problem is more well known now than it was earlier as noted by over 500 posts concerning iPhone slowing. It was very obvious to me, I've seen posts about iPhone slowing since iOS 11.0 came out back in late Sept.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Can someone please quantify exactly how much slower this “throttling” has made your phone? What could you happily do a month ago that suddenly is unacceptably slow?

I’ve seen numerous hysterical threads about geekbench scores being half of what they “should” be, but I’ve not seen one person describe how their actual experience has been negatively impacted.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
People were complaining about phones feeling laggy well before it was known for a fact that Apple throttled them. You put "throttling" in quotes as if you dispute it too. It's a fact and if you think a CPU that's running at close 50% of it's original clock speed isn't noticeable, you're crazy.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
People were complaining about phones feeling laggy well before it was known for a fact that Apple throttled them. You put "throttling" in quotes as if you dispute it too. It's a fact and if you think a CPU that's running at close 50% of it's original clock speed isn't noticeable, you're crazy.

People were also complaining about their phones feeling laggy well before Apple actually throttled them. How do you account for that?
Could it be that there’s more than one reason phones “feel laggy”, which in itself is a very subjective term? Or is everything that feels laggy throttled? How does a 50% reaction in clock speed translate to a reduction in app speed? Do you know, or are you just throwing out percentages and words, as I suspect?

I don’t dispute that it could be happening. I dispute that it’s a practical issue. I’ve still yet to see one person show how their being negatively affected. Does Pokémon open 30 seconds slower than it did before the throttling? That would be noteworthy. Is it .0005 seconds slower? That wouldn’t be as noteworthy.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
The Apple apologists here really need to get their head out of their #%$. This is a HUGE REAL issue. There are so many ways Apple could have handled the battery issue, and the way they chose was the most invisible approach that without a doubt caused people to buy new phones as they got older.
[doublepost=1514299842][/doublepost]
People were also complaining about their phones feeling laggy well before Apple actually throttled them. How do you account for that?
Could it be that there’s more than one reason phones “feel laggy”, which in itself is a very subjective term? Or is everything that feels laggy throttled? How does a 50% reaction in clock speed translate to a reduction in app speed? Do you know, or are you just throwing out percentages and words, as I suspect?

I don’t dispute that it could be happening. I dispute that it’s a practical issue. I’ve still yet to see one person show how their being negatively affected. Does Pokémon open 30 seconds slower than it did before the throttling? That would be noteworthy. Is it .0005 seconds slower? That wouldn’t be as noteworthy.
You're completely out of touch with reality. Almost everyone I know with a 6 or 6s is complaining about it being laggy after the recent update to 11. 11 has more services than 10 did (as is typical for new major releases), and that can easily push it over the edge causing the system to be noticeably slower. My 6 would take multiple seconds to register touches, answer calls, react to touch ID, etc...

This is not a nothingburger problem and you need to come to grips with reality. This is blowing up because it DESERVES to be blown up.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
The Apple apologists here really need to get their head out of their #%$. This is a HUGE REAL issue. There are so many ways Apple could have handled the battery issue, and the way they chose was the most invisible approach that without a doubt caused people to buy new phones as they got older.
[doublepost=1514299842][/doublepost]
You're completely out of touch with reality. Almost everyone I know with a 6 or 6s is complaining about it being laggy after the recent update to 11. 11 has more services than 10 did (as is typical for new major releases), and that can easily push it over the edge causing the system to be noticeably slower. My 6 would take multiple seconds to register touches, answer calls, react to touch ID, etc...

This is not a nothingburger problem and you need to come to grips with reality. This is blowing up because it DESERVES to be blown up.

I need to come to grips with reality because I don’t see a phone slowing down by .006 seconds, or my geekbench score dropping a bit as the end of the world. Lmao. Dude, get outside more. Hahaha

Reactions: laurim

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
I need to come to grips with reality because I don’t see a phone slowing down by .006 seconds as the end of the world. Lmao. Dude, get outside more. Hahaha
It's not .006 seconds. It's 2-3 seconds for many people doing simple things like trying to answer phone calls. You need to remove your Steve Jobs colored glasses on this issue. Apple does a lot of things and in many cases are a target for false accusations. This is not one of those times. This one is real.

Reactions: macfacts

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Appearantly so. That is if you have the issue in the first place. My old 6 Plus was replaced in August for a new one by Apple. Well for the standard fee as something was broken and it was out of Apple care. I can’t say I noticed any difference in performance.
[doublepost=1514300654][/doublepost]
It's not .006 seconds. It's 2-3 seconds for many people doing simple things like trying to answer phone calls. You need to remove your Steve Jobs colored glasses on this issue. Apple does a lot of things and in many cases are a target for false accusations. This is not one of those times. This one is real.
If it’s 2-3 seconds to answer a phone call then surely the sensible thing to do is to return it as faulty? I’ve never had a phone speed affect how long it can take to answer it. Something else seems wrong there.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Appearantly so. That is if you have the issue in the first place. My old 6 Plus was replaced in August for a new one by Apple. Well for the standard fee as something was broken and it was out of Apple care. I can’t say I noticed any difference in performance.
If it’s 2-3 seconds to answer a phone call then surely the sensible thing to do is to return it as faulty? I’ve never had a phone speed affect how long it can take to answer it. Something else seems wrong there.

Agreed. No way throttling is causing a 2-3 lag to answer a call. Something else going on, which is my overall point.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
So when you have a device for a few years and it works perfectly fine, then you install an update and all of a sudden everything is lagging and touch takes multiple seconds to respond, the OBVIOUS issue is something to do with the update (which in this case either enabled the throttling or added more load to the system making it finally feel slow enough to notice), your first reaction is the phone must have been defective the whole time? Of course it wasn't.
[doublepost=1514303664][/doublepost]
Agreed. No way throttling is causing a 2-3 lag to answer a call. Something else going on, which is my overall point.
Wrong. If throttling is causing things like touches to respond slowly, then you will see this type of thing when answering calls because you need to TOUCH the button to allow it to answer.

Your denial of this issue is truly staggering. You use pretty much every excuse in the book to try to downplay this real issue. Apple should be notifying people that the battery is worn out and that the phone is in a low power mode until it gets replaced, or something similar.

Reactions: macfacts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.