Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
I'm looking for workflow tips on scanning items that are not simply 4 sided. Is there any scanning application that will allow a Photoshop-like multi-sided or circular masking tool to set the region to be scanned?

One object at a time is fine, I just have all that for examples. Though VueScan does support multiple areas, but only 4 sided with the idea of scanning multiple negatives or slides at one time.

VueScanExample.png

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
While printer scanners may have difficulty, dedicated flatbed scanners typically have a lid that raises while flat to accommodate a book which should work with the pins pictured above. Most scanning programs have adjustable scan areas so not limited to full page, but they are square/rectangular. With round, oval or irregular would have to take into photoshop and erase the background. The other issue not mentioned is light control - shadows and reflections - such as shown on the pins above. While the flatbed probably would control the shadow due to the direct lack of an angle, it is one strength lighting and may introduce reflections. For that would probably be "scanning" directly with camera/macro/tripod setup and rather than flash, use at least two studio or LED light panels that would allow previewing to adjust the offset placement to cancel out each light's shadow and intensity to control reflection.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I'm looking for workflow tips on scanning items that are not simply 4 sided. Is there any scanning application that will allow a Photoshop-like multi-sided or circular masking tool to set the region to be scanned?

I've not encountered any. I wouldn't be surprised if non exist, given that doing this would be significantly complex.

The complexity comes from the fact that the final file would be rectangular there would need to be some built in function to decide the default color to fill the odd edges and likely extra UI to give some user control. This would make the scanning app more like an image editor, and reinventing the wheel by incorporating that function is not likely something the developers of the scanning apps would find profitable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.