Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EleveDrole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
Dear community

I wasn't pleased to recognize that Quick Time 7 Pro is no longer running in macOS Big Sur.... I really loved and needed (and still need) that program for doing instant audio/videos fixes (mainly audio however).

I know there are some audio programs out there that can do the same as QT 7 Pro did with audio tracks (Audacity for example). However most of them don't even get close to the simple GUI and features Quick Time Pro used to have. PLEASE don't tell me that Quick Time X is as good as Pro 7 - it's not the case.

Look:

maiIZP8.png

Copy a track section, creating a new blank audio file and than just paset it in there before exporting it into almost all available suffixes (mp3, wav, AAC, MPEG4...).

Could anyone suggest me an alternative to QT 7 Pro? It really can cost a certain amount of money but I really miss my good old blue all-round-tool :-(

Would love to read some answers!

Cheers
ED

Attachments

• QT7PRO .jpg
    QT7PRO .jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 576

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Doesn't really help but for fast edits I've used MPEG Streamclip in preference over Quicktime Pro 7 for years. Downside is that it is a 32-bit app. One of the reasons I've got some Macs running older OS versions here.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Does VLC work for your use at all? I never could get into VLC but maybe it works for you.

I bought QuickTime Pro back when you needed it to view videos in fullscreen... Little did I know you could run a Terminal command to force it into fullscreen without Pro. X was never a proper replacement for the Pro side of it.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Why.....?

Being on Mojave, I still use it regularly.
Try opening an image sequence in QTX.
I bought it to allow watching some video formats it supposedly supported back around 2004 or 2005 and I don't even remember anymore what they were. MOV files? Anyhow, a Mac friend of mine recommended some freeware that worked a lot better and I never fired up QTP ever again. Therefore, 29.95 right down the drain.

the big pea

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
Hi People, I really miss QT Pro 7 for ease of work & the way you could convert all types of video & audio formats in a matter of minutes without opening a huge programme.

On a Totally different note, I found a program called Wondershare UniConverter which is a cross between Apples QT 7 Pro & Preview. One thing it can't do is play midifiles..... I just wanted to share this....hope this helps other apple users for the future...Regards

dayhox

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2021
Am I the only one who misses Quicktime Pro?!?! 🥲
I too miss QT Pro 7. It was fast easy and the cheapest option of the day.
The newer versions of QTPlayer appear to be lackluster, but behind the scenes/menus there are options that will do what QTPro 7 did and more. It's a little more of a non linear editing workflow, but saves me from having to find a new app.
This guys explains and shows how to access all the goodies of the new QTPlayer app

Reactions: Mapjin and Andy2A

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Dear community

I wasn't pleased to recognize that Quick Time 7 Pro is no longer running in macOS Big Sur.... I really loved and needed (and still need) that program for doing instant audio/videos fixes (mainly audio however).

I know there are some audio programs out there that can do the same as QT 7 Pro did with audio tracks (Audacity for example). However most of them don't even get close to the simple GUI and features Quick Time Pro used to have. PLEASE don't tell me that Quick Time X is as good as Pro 7 - it's not the case.

Look:

maiIZP8.png

Copy a track section, creating a new blank audio file and than just paset it in there before exporting it into almost all available suffixes (mp3, wav, AAC, MPEG4...).

Could anyone suggest me an alternative to QT 7 Pro? It really can cost a certain amount of money but I really miss my good old blue all-round-tool :-(

Would love to read some answers!

Cheers
ED
Supposedly, QuickTime Player X will cover your bases. I've had issues trying to find some of those functions (having been a fan of QuickTime 7 Pro, myself).

That being said, you probably want to be careful when using QuickTime 7 and earlier as there are massive security vulnerabilities in it that Apple has long since stopped patching. They outright have recommended that Windows users uninstall it completely. With the Mac, they're just recommending that anyone on Snow Leopard and newer opt to not install it in the first place.

priorytools

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2015
Shutter Encoder is pretty useful in replacing QT pro, for me anyway. Generally I need to swap out the audio without having to re encode as was so easy to do in QT pro. That task is really simple in Shutter Encoder.

voidsloth

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2021
Seems i am in a predicament, different than what everyone here experiences. I use QT7 as an audio/recording engineer. Basically all my music files get previewed via quicktime at some point during my process. And the reason i use QT7 is because only ONE player will pass audio at a time, when multiple files are playing simultaneously. In any other version, if you hit play on multiple files they all just stack audio playback and it's awful.

I am constantly doing A/B comparisons between two audio files of the same type (but with minor differences in the mix). With QT7 I can quickly hit play on both players, and simply click to toggle between the two files and clearly listen to the differences, while playing the files back in the same exact playback position. I have been robbed of this very important stage in my workflow with Big Sur not supporting QT7.

All QuickTime needs to do is add a simple preference, allowing "playback audio on target player only".

Or just make that a default. Because honestly, who or what scenario would benefit from having all players playback audio simultaneously?

technomage116

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2021
Euroamerican can keep their opinion to themselves. Don't listen to him. QT7 Pro has been a staple of my production toolset for like 20 years. It has been the Swiss Army Knife I could pull out and resize or compress a video. I didn't have to buy or upgrade it and it worked on all my desktop computers. Super useful and practical. Great encoder for doing MP4s or AIFs or whatever. Fastest and best. Hands down beats Adobe Media Encoder for just cranking stuff out into formats to post to YouTube for example. Man I'm going to miss it. It's like taking a carpenter's favorite hammer away or something.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Am I the only one who misses Quicktime Pro?!?! ?
A few years ago, I called Apple support because I could no longer find my Quicktime Pro license key in my Apple profile. The support rep said it was no longer stored in their system. I complained that this means I no longer have access to an Apple product I paid for, they put me on hold, came back, said they talked to their supervisor, and told me "to google a serial number". :p

• Haha
Reactions: samh004

pighuddle

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Am I the only one who misses Quicktime Pro?!?! ?
I'm essentially stuck on Mojave for this exact reason. Since QT7 Pro was so ingrained in my workflow, I was certain that within a year or so of Catalina (or whatever the first 64bit only OS was) an alternative would show up in short order. Guess I underestimated how many users rely on it :( - like the OP I couldn't believe I had to explain to folks why I missed it! ...everyone who says, "just use iMovie (FC, Premiere etc)" is clearly unaware of why QT7 Pro was/is so useful.

The How-To video above, by Michael Kinney, is quite helpful actually. I learned a lot from it, but the QT7 Pro function I use most often is Delete, Extract/Add Sound to Movie (I'm a sound designer and composer). QT7 Pro does a ton of other useful stuff, but if QT Player could do this operation (it can not, correct?) I'd probably stop complaining and move on with my life.

AnnonKneeMoosee

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
I didn't notice anyone suggesting using both High Sierra (HS) and the latest MacOS on the same machine. I bought myself a Samsung 512 EVO Select microSD from Amazon (UHS-I), and am loading Big Sur on it now. I'm not entirely sure why I'm doing this, as HS does everything I need. High Sierra is still 100% 32 bit compatible. I guess I want to find out if there is anything worth using a newer version of MacOS.

I've been pleasantly surprised how speedy using a fast microSD card can be. I tried doing this years ago, and found it unacceptably slow. But now it boots plenty fast on the SD and it runs smoothly. It's clearly much faster than using an external USB HDD.

I'm also looking into upgrading my internal storage from 256 to 2TB using aftermarket parts, but Sleeping may still be an issue. That's why I haven't committed to doing that yet. When (if) I do that, I'll have gobs of space to run whatever OS I choose.

I like having options, and not discarding stuff just because it's old. Maybe it's because I'm old, too. ?

AnnonKneeMoosee

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
How does this relate to qt pro?
Because QT Pro 7 works fine with the “older” macOS High Sierra. High Sierra being the last version of macOS that fully supports 32-bit apps. So if anyone wants to keep using QT Pro 7, High Sierra will work nicely for that. For anyone who insists on upgrading past High Sierra, they can access output from QT 7 Pro, assuming they can easily switch between macOS versions on the same Mac.

I’m still not clear what important benefits came after High Sierra. Maybe that’s because I still prefer my 2015 model MacBook Pro‘s, with MagSafe plugs, upgradable storage, standard USB ports which don’t require problematic adapters, and keyboards that don’t break down when sneezed upon.

Reactions: JPSaltzman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.