Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnnonKneeMoosee

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
It also works in Mojave, which supports 32bit apps.
You might want to double-check the specs on Mojave. It may not fully support all 32bit apps. There have been reports of 32bit apps behaving abnormally or even crashing. High Sierra is the last macOS to fully support 32bit apps without menacing warnings or potential issues.

View attachment 1863404

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Believe it or not, I've found ScreenFlow to be a pretty easy to use video editor and workable replacement for Quicktime 7 Pro. The editor in it behaves like a totally stripped down Final Cut Pro that's optimized to do three things:
  1. Split and rearrange video and audio clips either together or separately.
  2. Simple transitions.
  3. Export to various formats.
As a screen recording tool, it obviously does more than this, but I find it surprisingly good at these basic things that Quicktime 7 Pro was good with.

Cut - Paste - Paste Again - Move Clip - Lower Audio Level - Save.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
for easy audio editing, check out ocenaudio, it is very simple and easy to use and is free with no ads/tracking.
Just add the audio file, select the part that you want, right click on it, choose TRIM, Save the file, DONE!
You've been able to do that with the built-in Quicktime Player for years.

Amin_B

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
Just letting you know that I also am staying at Mojave just for Quicktime 7 pro. As an audio-for-tv person I love all the things it does that no other app seems to be able to do. Quicktime Player is NOT a replacement. Start a campaign or write to apple and I'll be there for ya!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have a lot of old QT training videos from years back, which I refer to now and then.
It's a pain opening in latest QT as they need to be converted.
QT Pro 7 opens them straight away.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
uhhh duhhh, I know that. He's just asking for an alternative! :rolleyes:
Yes. And in the scenario you describe (simply trimming video), the built-in QuickTime Player app IS the alternative to QuickTime Pro.

As for all the re-encoding formats QTP offered, that of course isn't available in the QT Player app, but there is Garage Band for Audio, and Final Cut for video — as well as numerous 3rd party apps. VLC is probably the most notable, but it's ugly as sin and has a very convoluted UI.

Reactions: Super Spartan

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I also miss quicktime pro. I am going to clone my MacBook pros MT Lion drive and put it in my Opencore Big Sure Mac Pro just so I can use it when I need it. Boot times into MT Lion are super fast, and I can run all my old 32 bit apps. I won't have video acceleration which sucks... you can't win.

otomo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
I didn't notice anyone suggesting using both High Sierra (HS) and the latest MacOS on the same machine. I bought myself a Samsung 512 EVO Select microSD from Amazon (UHS-I), and am loading Big Sur on it now. I'm not entirely sure why I'm doing this, as HS does everything I need. High Sierra is still 100% 32 bit compatible. I guess I want to find out if there is anything worth using a newer version of MacOS.

I've been pleasantly surprised how speedy using a fast microSD card can be. I tried doing this years ago, and found it unacceptably slow. But now it boots plenty fast on the SD and it runs smoothly. It's clearly much faster than using an external USB HDD.

I'm also looking into upgrading my internal storage from 256 to 2TB using aftermarket parts, but Sleeping may still be an issue. That's why I haven't committed to doing that yet. When (if) I do that, I'll have gobs of space to run whatever OS I choose.

I like having options, and not discarding stuff just because it's old. Maybe it's because I'm old, too. ?
You said you tried it years ago and it was slow but now it's speedy. Apple's SD card page has a broad year range from 2010 to 2021 for UHS-I compatibility. What year did they start getting fast? Is there a cut-off? Such as "don't try Macs from year XXXX, the SD slot is too slow."

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
QuickTime Player X always was and still is a downgrade from QuickTime Pro and sadly an indication of the regression that would follow (Final Cut Pro X, XServe, Apple Server app, etc).

Reactions: AMMUGAMMU

Vladimir Harkonnen

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
Sorry I have nothing helpful to add, but just throwing in my hat over my discontent that we no longer have QT7. I had stopped upgrading my OS to Yosemite thinking it was the last compatible version.

chouki

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2015
Has anyone tried Screen by Video Village?
It's a bit pricey with no demo version, so I'd be happy to have some review if anyone tried it.

I miss a lot all the simple and quick features of Quictime Pro, In-Out points, cut, copy, paste etc...

Blackwing602

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2022
I didn't notice anyone suggesting using both High Sierra (HS) and the latest MacOS on the same machine. I bought myself a Samsung 512 EVO Select microSD from Amazon (UHS-I), and am loading Big Sur on it now. I'm not entirely sure why I'm doing this, as HS does everything I need. High Sierra is still 100% 32 bit compatible. I guess I want to find out if there is anything worth using a newer version of MacOS.

I've been pleasantly surprised how speedy using a fast microSD card can be. I tried doing this years ago, and found it unacceptably slow. But now it boots plenty fast on the SD and it runs smoothly. It's clearly much faster than using an external USB HDD.

I'm also looking into upgrading my internal storage from 256 to 2TB using aftermarket parts, but Sleeping may still be an issue. That's why I haven't committed to doing that yet. When (if) I do that, I'll have gobs of space to run whatever OS I choose.

I like having options, and not discarding stuff just because it's old. Maybe it's because I'm old, too. ?

I also want to keep using QT PRO 7 , so I am currently running Mojave on my Macbook Pro (Late 2013).

Just to be clear: your suggestion is to use the 515GB or 1TB UHS-I SDXC card for storage so the main hard drive can be partitioned to run Mojave on one partition and run Big Sur on the other , so when I want to use QT Pro7 or other 32bit apps I boot up on the Mojave partition , right ?

The only thing that I worry about is I read that SDXC cards are not really intended for long-term storage of files. Won't a bootable External Hard Drive with High Sierra or Mojave serve the same purpose ? Or expand the Macbook's internal SSD from 500GB to 2TB SDD.

But what is the sleeping issue you mention ? "I'm also looking into upgrading my internal storage from 256 to 2TB using aftermarket parts, but Sleeping may still be an issue."

Last edited:

Scion979

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
QT 7 Pro is one of those "indispensable" applications for many of us.

The new Quicktime Player in Mac OS Monterey can 'trim' a video file, and that's it. Virtually useless except as a player.
And for newer Macs, using a 32-bit comp OS is not possible.

The OP needs a 64-bit replacement app that can copy and join together audio and video files, and save them in different formats - at least a few - then, we could other converters out there to proceed.

There is NO security issue using QT Pro for 99.99% of us creating simple files on our Macs as long as we are not downloading warez from Russia, NK, China, et al. That was a silly thing to even bring up, sorry. That sort of thing is unhelpful when someone is asking a simple question. Also, the user who couldn't get certain video files to play should have simply installed Perian - a little digging would have showed you that your $29 was very well spent.

A couple of the clunky, unfriendly and complicated apps from Wondershare were both expensive and disappointing.

If Apple cared about its customers it would release a new QT Pro - but Tim Cook is absolutely awful as a Mac company leader and I'm not holding my breath. But the OP's question still stands.

Scion979

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
That application has been around for a long time, and has next to nothing to QT 7 Pro's capabilities.
I think many of you apparently didn't understand what QT Pro does ... or what the OP was asking.

Ex: I have 3 parts of a symphony in m4a format - with QT Pro I can open each - copy the 2nd and 3rd parts, past them at the end of the 1st part, and export the complete, uninterrupted file as AIFF, etc. I can easily convert this to mp3 and add tags that will show uπ in QT Pro player in the most complete, easy to read "Inspector" that's out there.
And I can do all this in about one minute.

This is just one of the many excellent capabilities of this program - along with the clean, Jobs-era interface.

NoSloppy

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
I'm essentially stuck on Mojave for this exact reason. Since QT7 Pro was so ingrained in my workflow, I was certain that within a year or so of Catalina (or whatever the first 64bit only OS was) an alternative would show up in short order. Guess I underestimated how many users rely on it :( - like the OP I couldn't believe I had to explain to folks why I missed it! ...everyone who says, "just use iMovie (FC, Premiere etc)" is clearly unaware of why QT7 Pro was/is so useful.

The How-To video above, by Michael Kinney, is quite helpful actually. I learned a lot from it, but the QT7 Pro function I use most often is Delete, Extract/Add Sound to Movie (I'm a sound designer and composer). QT7 Pro does a ton of other useful stuff, but if QT Player could do this operation (it can not, correct?) I'd probably stop complaining and move on with my life.
Resurrecting in 2023 just to say this is exactly why I am STILL on Mojave.
Menu>Window>Show Movie Properties.
Extract audio track and delete.
Process extracted audio in Audacity and export.
Drag exported processed audio file to QT7 icon in Dock.
Cmd+A, cmd+C, cmd+W, opt+cmd+V. cmd+S.

Or make a jpg image into a short 10sec movie by just repeating select all-copy-paste a bunch of times.
Or marking in/out sections with I and O keys, and doing whatever, like quick edits removing filler words from speeches, or removing all content except keywords, or....
Or Save For Web to get a few varieties of export in one shot.
Or proRes, or h.264, or mpeg, or... I mean look at the components list!

All "quick" as it should be, and priceless.
Viva QT7!!!!!

Steve Marston

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2020
Am I the only one who misses Quicktime Pro?!?! 🥲
No you're not. I keep wanting to boot up an older machine just to use it. Contrary to another comment in here - the best $29 I ever spent for a piece of software... at least until recently, because now there is so much software that is free or really cheap. I've used QT Pro as my default music player for 15 years, or is that 20 years - if you just want to check a out a tune or a cue quickly, QT Pro was unmatched... not to mention the speed and pitch features. I used it many times to lay a music track in a video. Plus, the simplest quick editing with a few keyboard shortcuts PLUS it supports full bandwidth audio, like aif & wav. I could go on... miss it badly.

• Love
Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
No you're not. I keep wanting to boot up an older machine just to use it. Contrary to another comment in here - the best $29 I ever spent for a piece of software... at least until recently, because now there is so much software that is free or really cheap. I've used QT Pro as my default music player for 15 years, or is that 20 years - if you just want to check a out a tune or a cue quickly, QT Pro was unmatched... not to mention the speed and pitch features. I used it many times to lay a music track in a video. Plus, the simplest quick editing with a few keyboard shortcuts PLUS it supports full bandwidth audio, like aif & wav. I could go on... miss it badly.
Well said. It's one of those handy apps in the old Mac toolbox that has simply vanished without a replacement. Quicktime X shouldn't even have that name to be honest, it's got nothing to do with the lineage of the previous versions which had almost always included these advanced features.

For now I still use 7 as the default movie/audio player for Mac and Windows machines alike, I do not use Catalina+ on personal machines so I am luckily unaffected, but the clock is ticking...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.