Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
icon_web_rounded@256x256.png
Hey guys,

Meet QuickScan, the quickest scanner available on iOS/iPadOS. Scanner + OCR + Signatures + Cloud upload + Automation.
Unique features :
  • Text recognition (OCR) -> 8 languages dictionaries for an incredible OCR accuracy (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese (simplified+traditional))
  • create PDFs with text integrated (search, copy/paste in the PDF). Yes!!
  • Output as JPG, TXT, or PDF with text integrated (meaning that you can search or perform copy/past in the generated PDF) :D
  • Import existing PDF or images from Files / Photos. Merge them with scans from camera into one document. Deskew any image by adjusting the corners.
  • OCR existing PDF/images to make them searchable (search, select text/copy & paste)
  • Scan history on device
  • Automatic file naming based on a configurable pattern (use date/time/text/automatic counter)
  • Configure a Export Favorites to quickly export to a preconfigured destination (Support for iCloud Drive/Dropbox/E-mail/OneDrive/Google Drive/WebDAV/NAS/pCloud/SMB/SD/on device)
  • Automatic export to an Export Favorite
  • Automatic delete after successful export
  • Signatures to apply one or more signatures to a document. Use your finger or an Apple Pencil.
  • Siri shortcuts to initiate a scan with an optional Export Favorite associated that will trigger an export to that favorite immediately after the scan
  • Widgets for your device home & lock screen to initiate a scan with an optional Export Favorite associated that will trigger an export to that favorite immediately after the scan
  • Face ID / Touch ID protection of your documents & signatures
  • Completely free (no IAP, no ads, no data collection!)
  • Respects your privacy (no server, works offline, everything happens on device)
I made this 100% free (with no restrictions) so that everyone can use it. Tips via the app are welcome for those who can afford it.

Link to QuickScan in the App Store (works on iPhone & iPad, requires iOS 13 minimum)

Enjoy! Good ratings & reviews are appreciated. 🌟 It motivates me.

quickscan_scan.jpg
IMG_3866.jpg
IMG_3863.jpg
IMG_3859.jpg
IMG_3857.jpg
IMG_8650EBD3CBB5-1.jpeg

Some background for those interested:
Around one year ago, during the first lockdown, I created QuickScan, my free iOS scanner (with OCR), to help people who cannot afford the right tools to study/work from home.
I received so many positive feedbacks and encouragements, that I actually updated the app continuously.
The app is now in v5, which feels incredible. I even believe that it could compete with the expensive scanner apps out there. But you'll be the judge of that.
The app is 100% free, without ads, without data collection. The in-app purchases are only tips for those who want to support the project.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_6201.jpg
    IMG_6201.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
I“m sorry are you looking for free scanner app that will scan your papers that has OCR and will covert it to PDF with search option? Are you making your own PDF with your scan papers?

I”m not sure such app is out there. Other than a free scanner app where you scan it in and then expert it to other app like a PDF editor to turn it into your own PDF.

Reactions: yellow8

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
I“m sorry are you looking for free scanner app that will scan your papers that has OCR and will covert it to PDF with search option? Are you making your own PDF with your scan papers?

I”m not sure such app is out there. Other than a free scanner app where you scan it in and then expert it to other app like a PDF editor to turn it into your own PDF.
No, I'm sorry, my post was probably not clear.
I created an app that does exactly that. And this is the one described. I'll edit a bit to improve the communication.. :):rolleyes:
[automerge]1589919363[/automerge]

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
Hey guys,

updated the app to version 1.1 with:
  • navigation between the different pages of the scan with a swipe (left/right)
  • performance improvements
  • UX improvements
  • Fixed a rare bug where settings would not be properly saved
App is running beautifully ;). Oh and did I say its 100% free (no IAP, no ads) ?

QuickScan on the iOS App Store

Tell me what you think!

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
Hey guys,

updated the app to version 1.2 with:
  • a new option allowing the user to be prompted for the file name. Note that this option is disabled by default. To enable it, use the new top-right icon.
QuickScan on the iOS App Store

Tell me what you think!

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
QuickScan 1.5 is available (free, no IAP, no data collection) with:
  • Select existing images from camera roll so you can OCR (recognize text) them
  • Select existing PDF from files so you can OCR (recognize text) them
Here is the link to QuickScan on the App Store

QuickScan is free and will stay free, I got so many returns from people it helped, I love it. Thank you!

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
... Don't take this the wrong way, but can you explain the business model here? Truly free, closed-source tools that aren't somehow abusing the user's privacy are few and far between in my experience.

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
I created this for my personal needs (I love efficient management...), and then I started making it available for free during the lockdown. I got a lot of returns (from my neighbours first) from students, teachers,... who were very happy to get this tool as help for remote working. I started loving these returns...
So not exactly a business here though.

On the other hand, the app helps me a lot as a "portfolio" for obtaining development contracts. I can show the app and people love it so, I guess that's it.

And... when I have the time, I might introduce a tip jar for people who want to help me :).

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
Wow thanks MindMike! This kind of feedback makes me very happy. You might be happy to know I'm working on a v3 of PDFZone which will make it better and smarter :). It will come as a free update of course.
But sorry, this is a QuickScan topic ^^

Reactions: MindMike

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
With all the encouragements I have received, I have a lot of positive energy! This means I'm currently working on an update for QuickScan, can't wait to show it to you :).

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
QuickScan 1.6 is released!
Guess what:
  • it is now even faster, with at least the same level of quality, if not better.
  • and I kept it as simple as before, since this is what users tell me they like :)
  • everything still happens 100% on device, locally, no server used. Privacy++
  • Its free (no IAP, no ads) and downloadable on the App Store
[automerge]1593097184[/automerge]

Reactions: MindMike

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
Just a quick message to tell you that QuickScan is now in v2.0.
It received many updates since the v1, it can now do all this:
  • Scan with your camera (with automatic edges detection and automatic angle correction)
  • Recognize text (OCR)
  • Export to .PDF & include the text inside the generated PDF such that the PDF is searchable (!!)
  • Do all of this in seconds and with incredible accuracy. QuickScan is the quickest scanner available (very easy process).
  • Apply filters on images and instantly preview the output file size
  • Preview the OCR results
  • Export to .TXT file
  • Select existing images from camera roll to perform OCR on them
  • Select existing PDFs from the Files app to perform OCR on them
  • Scan directly from the homescreen with a shortcut on the app icon
  • Swipe left/right on preview to change the visible page
  • Added an option to be prompted for filename before saving
  • Everything happens locally, on your device. No server. Your data is safe and your privacy matters.
  • It's free, no ads, no data collection. An optional tip is possible (hence the in-app purchases)

And I have great ideas for the future!
Let me know what you think :).

Reactions: dwellselectric

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
OK, it is live now.
QuickScan v3 is available on the App Store with:
  • Support 6 new languages for OCR (English and now German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese) :D
  • New design for the app
  • Simplified and improved settings menu
  • iOS 14 support
  • app is still free without any data collection. Tips via in-app purchases are welcome though (but optional for those who cannot afford it).
QuickScan v3 on the App Store (works on iPhone & iPad)

ipad_settings.jpg

What do you think? Any suggestion is always welcome!

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
Bringing new functionalities to QuickScan.
You can now directly copy the recognized text to the clipboard in the "OCR preview" view.

Also made some design updates but by keeping the spirit of the app "quick, easy & efficient".

QuickScan v3 on the App Store :cool:

Reactions: BeatCrazy

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I like it! Thanks. Gave it 5 stars on the app store.

One suggestion, though it may be difficult: add automatic edge detection. This is one of my favorite features of the Readdle scanning app, that you don't have to drag the corners around to tell it where the page is but it just detects it for you. It's not 100% accurate, but its good enough 99% of the time, and in the end it saves time when scanning multiple pages.

• Love
Reactions: yellow8

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
There is actually automatic edge detection.
Make sure "auto" is enabled in the camera view.
Then ensure that the whole document is well within the camera frame. It will be highlighted and the camera will trigger automatically.

Thank you for the feedback :)

Reactions: oneMadRssn

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I like it! Thanks. Gave it 5 stars on the app store.

One suggestion, though it may be difficult: add automatic edge detection. This is one of my favorite features of the Readdle scanning app, that you don't have to drag the corners around to tell it where the page is but it just detects it for you. It's not 100% accurate, but its good enough 99% of the time, and in the end it saves time when scanning multiple pages.

It already does edge detection. I’ve never had to drag anything. It has always detected the edges perfectly.

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
Hey guys 👋🏻,

QuickScan 3.3 is there! The app colors can now be customized. Very cool!
Oh, and the app still allows to easily scan & OCR (text recognition) documents in many languages. Very efficiently!

➡️ QuickScan v3.3 on the App Store
Let me know what you think :).

Reactions: BeatCrazy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.