Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have a jacket that my father-in-law received from Apple in 1996. Just wondering if anyone has any information on it or what it might be worth? I can't find it anywhere online.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_9985.jpg

mike2022

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2022
You might try searching for it on eBay under sold items. I have often used that method to find the value of an item. I know from experience that Apple branded items were selling fairly well on eBay a few years ago, when I sold some items.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
You might try searching for it on eBay under sold items. I have often used that method to find the value of an item. I know from experience that Apple branded items were selling fairly well on eBay a few years ago, when I sold some items.
Thanks I'll give that a try!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well i tried that but no luck unfortunately.
I’ll give you 10 bucks for it. Can you pay the shipping?

I’m kidding…….

I have no idea what that jacket would be worth. It’s obviously going to appeal to someone who is a collector and has no desire to want to wear that obviously.

Your thread will never be moved (To the appropriate designation), and there might be some people who might have an idea of what it’s worth on here. But I probably would put your jacket up for auction on eBay to see where it lands once you determine the value, if it doesn’t hit your ‘reserve price’, then you don’t have to sell it.

You could also search Reddit, as I’m sure there’s other people in your situation that would have a general idea of what it might be worth.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
I’ll give you 10 bucks for it. Can you pay the shipping?

I’m kidding…….

I have no idea what that jacket would be worth. It’s obviously going to appeal to someone who is a collector and has no desire to want to wear that obviously.

Your thread will never be moved (To the appropriate designation), and there might be some people who might have an idea of what it’s worth on here. But I probably would put your jacket up for auction on eBay to see where it lands once you determine the value, if it doesn’t hit your ‘reserve price’, then you don’t have to sell it.

You could also search Reddit, as I’m sure there’s other people in your situation that would have a general idea of what it might be worth.
Hey thanks for the response, did you mean to say that my thread will be moved to the appropriate designation? Is there somewhere else I should be asking? Also, I was going to try the eBay route but unfortunately you have to pay to have a reserve price whether sells or not.
Thanks for the help!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hey thanks for the response, did you mean to say that my thread will be moved to the appropriate designation? Is there somewhere else I should be asking? Also, I was going to try the eBay route but unfortunately you have to pay to have a reserve price whether sells or not.
Thanks for the help!

So I think this is where your thread will belong with this link below.

I reported this thread so it can be moved if necessary. The site moderators will move it for you.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
So I think this is where your thread will belong with this link below.

I reported this thread so it can be moved if necessary. The site moderators will move it for you.
Awesome thanks very much for the help!

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
How long until MR giveaway favorite Throwboy makes a knockoff?
;-)

----------
ETA:

Last edited:

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
How long until MR giveaway favorite Plushboy makes a knockoff?
;-)

----------
ETA:
Haha, yeah probably. This one is an original though so who knows?
IMG_9992.jpg
IMG_9989.jpg

• Love
Reactions: yannisgk

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I thought it might be a one off custom made jacket by an enthusiast because the icons on the upper left sleeve doesn’t look like a proper Apple icon.…but now I see the inside tags are from Apple. So I’m stumped.

Reactions: Bokito

Jorc

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2022
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have a jacket that my father-in-law received from Apple in 1996. Just wondering if anyone has any information on it or what it might be worth? I can't find it anywhere online.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1941627
Hi, what size is it? I’m really interested in buying it

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
This is so cool to see. I was there as a Systems Engineer in K12 Education 1992 - 1997

Fun to see the Cyberdog icon

We used to get fun things like this now and then. This could be from one division, team, group, project, event, etc.

No idea on the value. Just appreciate seeing it.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I would have thought the OP's father in law would have been able to give more information considering the fact according to the OP he recieved it direct from Apple in 1996. What link did the father in law have with Apple because would not have given a jacket like that to just anyone.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Another MR member posted about one of these jackets back in 2014. Another member in this thread has already mentioned about it also.

Also, the 'Drake' jackets are selling close to $1000, I would expect this supposedly rarer jacket to sell for a lot lot more. If the OP's does decide to sell and get's less than $1000 for it, the OP has been ripped off in my opinion.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
I would have thought the OP's father in law would have been able to give more information considering the fact according to the OP he recieved it direct from Apple in 1996. What link did the father in law have with Apple because would not have given a jacket like that to just anyone.
Hey Laptech I asked my father-in-law why Apple gave him the jacket, he has his own computer business and used to sell/repair Apple products. Apparently Apple messed something up quite badly with an order and sent him this coat as a token to smooth things over.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Are you going to be putting it on eBay? I'm interested.
Hey UltimateSyn, yeah I am going to list it on Ebay for him. He's in his late 70's now so I'm taking care of figuring out what it should be worth and doing the listing. Problem is i have no idea what it's worth, it seems pretty rare so it could be worth $500 or $10,000 for all i know. I guess it's worth what someone is willing to pay. Here are a couple more pics.
IMG_9986.jpg
IMG_9987.jpg
IMG_9988.jpg

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Well the OP's jacket is a lot older than Apples 'Drake' jacket and those jackets sell in the region of $800 to $1000 (brand new condition looking ones). It looks like the father in laws jacket is in very good condion for it's age, no rips or tears, colour has not faded, not even on the patches. If the OP can get his father in law to write and sign a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) explaining how he came about getting the jacket with the year stated he got it, it would add more value to the jacket because it has only been in his hands all these years and it is something that came to him direct from Apple themselves, it was not something he purchased, not something that has been bought, worn then sold many times before.

As for price, it all depends on how much the desire is to get rid of the jacket. It is going to be very obvious that any potential buyer is going to try and get this jacket for as cheap as possible. This jacket is a lot more rare and thus more valuable than the Apple 'Drake' jackets and thus I would put a reserve price of $1000. It's worth a lot more in my opinion and should not be sold for less that $1000. If no one is prepared to buy it that price then keep it in the family because it is a nice piece of Apple history to own and more so because of it's link to your father in law.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.