Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I was thinking, if the OP has children then my opinion would be to keep it for a number of reasons. Firstly the jacket has a direct link to Apple (label inside the jacket proves this), then there is the link between Apple and the childrens grandfather and how he came about to getting the jacket. If the OP does have children, it would be nice one day to say 'Here kids, here is a bit of Apple history that belonged to your grandfather'. Something like that is priceless.

joeallen

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
Please do share the link if you do end up listing it on eBay, I would definitely bid! :)

Reactions: 600V

BenjaminOk

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2022
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have a jacket that my father-in-law received from Apple in 1996. Just wondering if anyone has any information on it or what it might be worth? I can't find it anywhere online.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1941627
is the jacket still available for purchase?

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
I would have thought the OP's father in law would have been able to give more information considering the fact according to the OP he recieved it direct from Apple in 1996. What link did the father in law have with Apple because would not have given a jacket like that to just anyone.
He was a reseller and they gave this to him when there was a problem with one of his orders

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
laptech you are absolutely right. He said there was a big screw up with something and they gave him this to smooth it over.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
laptech you are absolutely right. He said there was a big screw up with something and they gave him this to smooth it over.
If you are planning to sell the jacket then you should get your father in law to write this all down. In a previous post i called it a COA, i was wrong because it's actually called a 'provenance'. The reason I say you should do this because you have stated that the jacket was sent from Apple to your father in law to the place where he worked at the time due to an error on Apples part. That fact is very important in proving the jackets origins and authenticity because in todays world a huge majority of things are faked and potential buyers may think the jacket is a recent reproduction of an original or it's a newly produced fake or it's a jacket that was produced for the retail market under license from Apple.

What you have said about your father in law gives proof that the jacket is an Apple company produced original which was not given to the public. The provanace should state the name and the location of the company your father in law worked at the time upon recieving the jacket, the year and month (if can remember because you said it was due to a screw up by Apple) he recieved the jacket and the reasons behind recieving the jacket. He signs it and dates it and then in my opinion it makes the jacket more valuable, way more than $1000 because it's origins can be traced directly back to Apple and not some fake copy factory in china.

Reactions: sifpilsen

Wxchaser

macrumors P6
Oct 28, 2017
If you are planning to sell the jacket then you should get your father in law to write this all down. In a previous post i called it a COA, i was wrong because it's actually called a 'provenance'. The reason I say you should do this because you have stated that the jacket was sent from Apple to your father in law to the place where he worked at the time due to an error on Apples part. That fact is very important in proving the jackets origins and authenticity because in todays world a huge majority of things are faked and potential buyers may think the jacket is a recent reproduction of an original or it's a newly produced fake or it's a jacket that was produced for the retail market under license from Apple.

What you have said about your father in law gives proof that the jacket is an Apple company produced original which was not given to the public. The provanace should state the name and the location of the company your father in law worked at the time upon recieving the jacket, the year and month (if can remember because you said it was due to a screw up by Apple) he recieved the jacket and the reasons behind recieving the jacket. He signs it and dates it and then in my opinion it makes the jacket more valuable, way more than $1000 because it's origins can be traced directly back to Apple and not some fake copy factory in china.
@laptech - that is some sage advice. You are correct in stating the provenance of the jacket makes it a more exclusive item especially for collectors.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022

Thanks again laptech, I will definitely get him to do that. Just for fun (and to see what interest it might drum up), I tried to list the jacket on eBay Canada for $10,000 but my seller limits are too low. I was going to try and list it and put in a reserve price but with eBay you have to pay for the reserve feature whether or not the item sells so I'm not going to do that.
I'm just surprised that I can't find another one like it anywhere other than a picture of it in an article done about an Apple products collector from Japan named Tadaka Goh in 2012. Here is the link to the article:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...uge-haul-products-theres-iPod-iPad-sight.html
If you scroll down there is a pic of the back of a jacket that looks like the one I have but other than that I can't find anything.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Thanks again laptech, I will definitely get him to do that. Just for fun (and to see what interest it might drum up), I tried to list the jacket on eBay Canada for $10,000 but my seller limits are too low. I was going to try and list it and put in a reserve price but with eBay you have to pay for the reserve feature whether or not the item sells so I'm not going to do that.
I'm just surprised that I can't find another one like it anywhere other than a picture of it in an article done about an Apple products collector from Japan named Tadaka Goh in 2012. Here is the link to the article:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...uge-haul-products-theres-iPod-iPad-sight.html
If you scroll down there is a pic of the back of a jacket that looks like the one I have but other than that I can't find anything.
Didn't you check out the link that myself and another member posted regarding a 2014 post where a member posts about the same jacket?. That makes at least 3 we now know of. Yours, the one from the collector and the one from a member in here back in 2014.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Didn't you check out the link that myself and another member posted regarding a 2014 post where a member posts about the same jacket?. That makes at least 3 we now know of. Yours, the one from the collector and the one from a member in here back in 2014.
Yep, you are correct. That's 3 that we know of but other than that I don't see anything.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Also you have to stop and think that these jackets were only given to Apple employees (unless Apple screws up and gives one away as a peace offering lol) which means anyone wearing one was a walking advertisment that they worked at Apple. Just think of the hassles they could get 'can you get me a job at Apple', 'can you get me in to see the place','can you get me into see Steve Jobs','can you get me some free stuff', and the list goes on and on. I doubt therefore that many Apple employees would have wanted such a jacket.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
OP,

So do you plan on selling it or keeping it? You seem sorta undecided. If you plan on selling it, is there anyway you can post a link? You mentioned your based ought of Canada, so I don’t know what the selling terms/conditions would be, being that I live in the U.S. But I would be interested in bidding on this. I definitely wouldn’t spend $10,000 personally, but I do think this jacket is probably in the realm of a baseline of $3000.

On the flipside, I think it’s a really cool time piece to keep, because it does have some heritage from Apple’s ‘old school’ days under Jobs, and of course it belongs to a family member.

It would be really interesting, is to find out, who directly gave your father-in-law this jacket or at least authorized it. I doubt he knows that answer, but it’s something that would create more of a history trail.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
OP,

So do you plan on selling it or keeping it? You seem sorta undecided. If you plan on selling it, is there anyway you can post a link? You mentioned your based ought of Canada, so I don’t know what the selling terms/conditions would be, being that I live in the U.S. But I would be interested in bidding on this. I definitely wouldn’t spend $10,000 personally, but I do think this jacket is probably in the realm of a baseline of $3000.

On the flipside, I think it’s a really cool time piece to keep, because it does have some heritage from Apple’s ‘old school’ days under Jobs, and of course it belongs to a family member.

It would be really interesting, is to find out, who directly gave your father-in-law this jacket or at least authorized it. I doubt he knows that answer, but it’s something that would create more of a history trail.
The OP's message in-box must be ringing hot with all the messages of members wanting to purchase the jacket. If anyone in the messages offered $5000 for it the OP should go for it in my opinion. Anything less than $2000 the OP should ignore it in my opinion.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The OP's message in-box must be ringing hot with all the messages of members wanting to purchase the jacket. If anyone in the messages offered $5000 for it the OP should go for it in my opinion.
Yeah, I would be interested to know if they decide to sell it and for how much. I guess it really depends on how much sentimental value a jacket like this has to someone.

To be honest, I’m surprised Arn hasn’t tried picking this up. Or, maybe he has through messaging.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Yeah, I would be interested to know if they decide to sell it and for how much. I guess it really depends on how much sentimental value a jacket like this has to someone.

To be honest, I’m surprised Arn hasn’t tried picking this up. Or, maybe he has through messaging.
There is a thread here somewhere where members posted their mac computer collections and many of them show basements and other rooms adorned with old mac computers and other mac hardware. Some have even gone to the point of decorating the room to style and fit their mac collection. Having that jacket hanging up in the background of such rooms would make the room stand out more in my opinion.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
The OP's message in-box must be ringing hot with all the messages of members wanting to purchase the jacket. If anyone in the messages offered $5000 for it the OP should go for it in my opinion. Anything less than $2000 the OP should ignore it in my opinion.

OP,

Hey RP, we aren't sure what we are going to do with the jacket. My father-in-law is in his late 70's now and I told him I'd try and see what it would be worth.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022

Hey RP, I haven't had any PM's about the jacket. Definitely no sentimental value attached to the jacket though, just trying to figure out some more info on the coat for now. Maybe Drake will want it!!

Reactions: MBAir2010

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Hey RP, I haven't had any PM's about the jacket. Definitely no sentimental value attached to the jacket though, just trying to figure out some more info on the coat for now. Maybe Drake will want it!!
Why don't you contact Apple customer support and ask them what they know about your Jacket because what makes you stand out is that your Father in law did business with Apple and as such Apple will have his details on record and any business dealings with him which means Apple should see you as being genuine with your enquiry about the jacket, rather than just some Apple fan wanting some information. When they realise that you are a relative of a person the company did business with, Apple might be more inclined to help you rather than dismiss you.

600V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Why don't you contact Apple customer support and ask them what they know about your Jacket because what makes you stand out is that your Father in law did business with Apple and as such Apple will have his details on record and any business dealings with him which means Apple should see you as being genuine with your enquiry about the jacket, rather than just some Apple fan wanting some information. When they realise that you are a relative of a person the company did business with, Apple might be more inclined to help you rather than dismiss you.
Good idea, I'll try that and let you know what I find out.

Seregor

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2023
Hey there! I just ran into your post here while I was attempting to find out information about my own jacket. Yours is the only other one that I've been able to locate. Did you find out any more information about it? Here is mine, framed with other Apple stuffs.

3Bi5CGo.jpeg

JohnnyArcade

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
Hey there! I just ran into your post here while I was attempting to find out information about my own jacket. Yours is the only other one that I've been able to locate. Did you find out any more information about it? Here is mine, framed with other Apple stuffs.

3Bi5CGo.jpeg
Wow, beautifully framed and glad to see another one! Hope to ever see one for sale. Love how you framed the pins in it's own frame, great idea!

doloresbrignolo

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
That sounds like a cool piece of tech history. As for its value, it's hard to say without more information or seeing a picture of the jacket. However, there are a few websites you can check to get an idea of the value of rare tech memorabilia like this.

sifpilsen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I'd say auction with a $800 minimum would give you a good price, if cross-posted to other media and groups as well. Apple collectors are indeed be in the market for this and could drive up the price.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Those jackets might have be given to programmers, but Apple sold those jackets to anyone in the company store, around 1997-1999 for approx. $300 IIRC. Kick myself for not buying one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.