Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricardo.felix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2014
California
I have a MacBook Pro 15'' 2019 Intel i9 8cores 32GB RAM and a Radeon Pro 560X 4GB graphics card...

I recently got into gaming on bootcamp (VR as well) and I was surprised at how well it handled them. But of course I wanted a better gaming experience with better graphics so I ordered an eGPU (Razer Chroma X + PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT)

Do you guys think I did a good decision? I am mainly interested in using it with windows for gaming... Hopefully it runs smooth because it was not cheap lol

I also game on an Oculus Rift and have a 4K Samsung Space monitor (60hz) I know 60hz sucks for gaming but I don't mind since I am not a hardcore or competitive gamer.

I would appreciate an answer from someone with a similar experience, THANKS!

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
egpu with radeon card in bootcamp is pain to setup and get it to work...some peoples had the luck if followed exact instructions...i would like to have an radeon egpu too for both, win and osx system. but the workarounds which you have to do are pulling me off from it...check more on egpu.io

btw, if anybody have experience with gaming with egpu, please what is the mbp temperature if the main work is done by the egpu?

ricardo.felix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2014
California
UPDATE: It works beautifully...

I followed this guide and ended up only using the 5700 XT drivers not the iGPU ones...

No error 12, No eternal boot logo... everything works like a charm...

The ONLY problem I have is my CPU... It throttles some times causing occasional frame drops... Not a huge deal but I am currently trying to fix this...

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
I have been succesfull with egpu 5600xt. For decreasing cpu temp and trottling, you need to disable intel turbo boost, via power management

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Are your fans turning on to cool your MBP?
I remember when I was gaming with a mac mini (2018) and egpu my mini was getting very hot.
I use Macs Fan Control in macOS, but with the T2 chip on the mini (and 2018 and later MBPs), you can’t control the fan speed in Win10 because of the T2.
It works fine with the T1 in 2016/2017 MBPs, but not the T2.
The mini would get very hot and start to throttle as the fans never sped up.

To set a higher fan speed I had to manually set the fan speed in macOS and then restart to Win10 and it would keep the fan speed that I had set in macOS. Very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.