Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
This is making the news and I think its pretty cool
1578490930999.png

While it might look like just an external GPU box at first glance — maybe a better-looking Razer Core? — there’s an important reason why this sleek aluminum and tempered glass box can seem so effortlessly small. It’s because there’s no traditional motherboard or desktop CPU inside, but rather an Intel NUC Element modular computer.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Honestly, I don't see the need for this device. PC is already modular. So modular you couldn't make it any more modular even if you tried.

This will appeal to some that don't know or want to build their own PC. But even for those people it's quite easy to purchase something like Corsair One and get a far more beefier PC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Honestly, I don't see the need for this device. PC is already modular. So modular you couldn't make it any more modular even if you tried.

This will appeal to some that don't know or want to build their own PC. But even for those people it's quite easy to purchase something like Corsair One and get a far more beefier PC.
The video more or less mentions that as well. I do think this type of computer can have a market, but it depends on the price point and given Razer's penchant for premium pricing it may be a tad expensive.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The video more or less mentions that as well. I do think this type of computer can have a market, but it depends on the price point and given Razer's penchant for premium pricing it may be a tad expensive.
If people buy Macs, they can buy this.

Reactions: kazmac

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

Well, to be honest, I'm not very good at predicting market trends. For instance, I was one of people mocking iPads. To this day I see no use for them, unless you're just consuming media.

My problem is that I value functionality of the device above all else. And practical use. And I look at things from my point of view.

So who knows, maybe that device will sweep the market. Giving my track record of predictions, that is a real possibility :D
[automerge]1578523367[/automerge]
If people buy Macs, they can buy this.

True. But then again, if you want Mac OS, you're stuck with macs, or hackintosh. So mac it is for 99.99% of Mac OS lovers.

But if you want Windows or Linux, your playing field is like 100000x larger :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well, you cannot only replace the whole brains, the GPU, the RAM, and the storage, but also the CPU and the "motherboard".

It is like an improvement on a nonstandard pre-built PC.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
I like it and would be interested to know more about it. If you can upgrade it from this overtime, so much the better. I already got a keyboard, and monitor so the price point is the most important, also the upgradeability.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
You can build something similar that’s much faster. This is using laptop components.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
So it's cool that it exists and it's only about 10 liters. But, from a footprint standpoint, most of the best ITX cases are still in this ballpark. The nCase M1 is 12 liters and change but, it's hard for me to imagine a desk or transport situation where the Razer Tomahawk works and a good small-form-factor ITX case won't. But I suppose it's not for me. Even the non-sff cases that are in the 20ish liter range don't seem large at all by desktop standards.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
So it's cool that it exists and it's only about 10 liters. But, from a footprint standpoint, most of the best ITX cases are still in this ballpark. The nCase M1 is 12 liters and change but, it's hard for me to imagine a desk or transport situation where the Razer Tomahawk works and a good small-form-factor ITX case won't. But I suppose it's not for me. Even the non-sff cases that are in the 20ish liter range don't seem large at all by desktop standards.
This looks huge for such a compute element.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You can build something similar that’s much faster. This is using laptop components.
Of course you can, but it's not aimed at the gamer/hobbyist that wants to build his own machine from the ground up. As for laptop components, that's not entirely accurate, yes its using a Core i9-9980HK and the memory is SODIMM but its using a desktop GPU (of your choosing).

Yes, other machines can and will be faster, but Razer is not marketing this against them, in some respects what @SteveJUAE is accurate. Its nice but niche.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.