Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I miss Halloween though some folks have started celebrating it here it hasn't taken off except among the ex-pat community.

TheBeefChief

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
I miss Halloween. I'm a goth at heart so it's the event that would appeal to me the most out of all of them but being in the UK, we don't really do much for it as a nation. People over here just see it as a reason to dress up and get drunk and then it's over. Does anyone else do anything for Halloween?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I miss Halloween. I'm a goth at heart so it's the event that would appeal to me the most out of all of them but being in the UK, we don't really do much for it as a nation. People over here just see it as a reason to dress up and get drunk and then it's over. Does anyone else do anything for Halloween?
I think the majority of people in the U.K. just ignore it tbh. I don’t know anyone who does anything for Halloween.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes. By tradition, I toilet paper my neighbors houses and trees dressed like Michael Myers every year. (I do use three -ply toilet paper, only the good stuff, so it doesn’t rip when I’m throwing it.) I’m 35 and a child at heart. But proud of it!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last two Halloweens we’ve had the lights off on Halloween for a variety of reasons. Two favorite times in my Halloween life:
  • Early 1960s- about 12 years old, S.E. District of Columbia, parents would turn us loose unaccompanied and we roamed the neighborhood coming back eventually with a brown grocery bag full of candy.
  • 1990ish- Minneapoli-St.Paul Suburbs, Apple Valley, would room the neighborhood with my 8 year old in tow, watching all the little goblins roam the neighborhood, it felt magical a little less so during the 91 Halloween Blizzard, although that was a bit much, a bit early for the season. That snow stayed on the ground till April. It felt like a long winter.
In the Fall we’d head over to Minnesota Harvest in Jordon, Mn to enjoy the Fall Festival and sometimes hit the Renaissance Festival which had a Halloween edition, it might have been called Scream Town. ?

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
As others have said here in the UK Halloween was a always a bit of a non-event when I was growing up, as kids we might have had a bit of a small party (ghost stories, running around in cheap masks and fake blood from the joke shop) but trick or treating wasn't really a thing. "You're not going round scaring old ladies then begging sweets from the neighbours" etc etc... Also, believe it or not pumpkins just weren't available in the shops and you used to have to try and carve up a swede (the vegetable not a person) which was really difficult and inevitably really disappointing.

Mind you we weren't really that bothered as it was only a week away from the main event - Guy Fawkes night (5th Nov) which was always fantastic, unless you were a nervous dog...

Reactions: VulchR and Huntn

iLorah

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
England, United Kingdom
I'm in the minority here in the UK but I decorate my office and watch Halloween spooky (but not scary because I am a wimp) stuff through the month. I am honestly more into it now at 30 than I was when I was younger ? It's annoying though because most adverts and places just skip it here and push Christmas before Halloween.

Reactions: VulchR

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Some Scottish kids still do guising, which entails the kids doing some sort of performance, usually a joke, for their candy. The US-style Halloween does seem to be making inroads though.

And there is nothing wrong with dressing up and having a few drinks IMO, but then again I do live in Scotland and people here do not need much encouragement to drink. ?

Reactions: TheBeefChief

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Mind you we weren't really that bothered as it was only a week away from the main event - Guy Fawkes night (5th Nov) which was always fantastic, unless you were a nervous dog...
The UK is still burning the guy in effigy. Talk about spite...

I moved to the UK nearly 30 years ago with my now-ex and kid, settling in Scotland near a military base. The first November we were in Scotland, my ex took our kid to meet some family in England, leaving me temporarily adrift. Thus, I decided to dive into work so I could spend time with my family when they got back, so I put in a 12-hour day on 5 Nov. So, overworked and half asleep, I walked out of my lab when I heard what were clearly the sounds of mortars, small explosions, and what sounded like gunfire from automatic weapons. I must admit that, for a few terrifying seconds, the American in me thought the Russians were landing. ?

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Absolutely. We do lights and decorations. Every year we add something new to our decorations. Love Halloween. It is our favorite holiday.

Oh and did I mention all the candy that comes with the day.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes. By tradition, I toilet paper my neighbors houses and trees dressed like Michael Myers every year. (I do use three -ply toilet paper, only the good stuff, so it doesn’t rip when I’m throwing it.) I’m 35 and a child at heart. But proud of it!
I wasn’t joking…..literally.

We take Halloween very seriously here. Where I even went to the lengths of purchasing a moderately priced Michael Myers mask off Amazon, and then trimmed the hair, colored it darker, then used a white base latex paint to re-coat the mask, followed by black/brown airbrushing for a more 3-D effect, [To give it the whole weathered look], and then blackened with cheap dark makeup. And this is the end result.

B2CF2108-C53E-4221-AF60-D02A7AA51E74.jpeg

To compensate scaring kids, we do hand out full-size candy bars. :D

Edit:
The attachment is what the original mask look likes prior to the detail work.

Attachments

• 990D8D68-FD68-4D85-9730-05EA86730ECB.png
    990D8D68-FD68-4D85-9730-05EA86730ECB.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

kateballs

Suspended
Oct 24, 2021
For safe side in this pandemic situation we should not take any risks with ourselves and our loved ones health. So stay at your places, this is really an good idea to read books and watch your favorite movies with you family and friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
For safe side in this pandemic situation we should not take any risks with ourselves and our loved ones health. So stay at your places, this is really an good idea to read books and watch your favorite movies with you family and friends.

People are still on the “stay at home and don’t go anywhere because you’ll catch Covid” train? I thought the vaccine was suppose to allow us to live a normal life again?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks for the unsolicited advice. While Halloween is not a thing where I live, my wife and I (both fully vaccinated) will be out in society as we are daily, living our lives. Enjoy your basement hideaway.

Michal Graham

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2021
Amsterdam, North Holland
Well being inside your home during a holiday that came during a pandemic doesn't sound bad, you could invest your time and energy into doing something more useful.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
What are your plans for Halloween? are you gonna trick or treat or are you gonna stay inside and watch & Read movies and books
Just ignore it like all holidays? Fortunately where we live now no one comes knocking which is a big improvement on where we used to live. Trick or treat? Why not call it what it is. Unsolicited begging.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
If COVID didn’t exist, I would’ve been trick or treating with my 2 little munchkins. Last year we did trunk or treat and they got a ton of candy. This year we are eating out in the backyard, watching Halloween movies and roasting marshmallows while wearing our costumes. The kids are more excited for that vs going trick or treating.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.