Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Placed a small setting on our dining table yesterday - my lady's paper mâché pumpkin, mouse, and cup, plus some decorative corn we had on hand from Thanksgiving last year ... a small halloween / fall tribute.

IMG_3818.jpg

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Sadly here in the US, my area (Ventura Ca) was totally dead and quiet for trick or treaters this years. Had a few last year but not this year. Even my daughters place in Bellflower was dead. Grand daughter was bummed.
Did see a couple of afternoon events locally. Those were well packed.

Anyone have any visitors this year?

frozenoem1

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2018
I saw more kids tonight in Maine than the last 40 years near Sunday River.

60 kids didn’t even think we have that many in the school. Gave away 6 bags of candy and the rest will be mine.

Figure it must have been the large Halloween figures that drew them in.

Reactions: dk001

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Unfortunately not very many at my house in Cumming GA. They started around 7PM and the first 5 were really cute, but not much after that. Admittedly I didn't have any decorations up; I noticed that some of the kids seemed to be ignoring houses that were not decorated.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sadly here in the US, my area (Ventura Ca) was totally dead and quiet for trick or treaters this years. Had a few last year but not this year. Even my daughters place in Bellflower was dead. Grand daughter was bummed.
Did see a couple of afternoon events locally. Those were well packed.

Anyone have any visitors this year?
Fortunately not. A result!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
seemed pretty empty everywhere.
We had a decent amount of kids visit our house, but I feel like the ‘norm’ is becoming more of these like group parties, where friends/family get together at a house.

Me personally? When I was a kid, I hit as many houses as I could trick-or-treating carrying a pillow case full of candy where it was uncomfortable to hold. Those days seem to be lost in some ways.

Reactions: jkcerda and dk001

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
We had a decent amount of kids visit our house, but I feel like the ‘norm’ is becoming more of these like group parties, where friends/family get together at a house.

Me personally? When I was a kid, I hit as many houses as I could trick-or-treating carrying a pillow case full of candy where it was uncomfortable to hold. Those days seem to be lost in some ways.
things should get back to normal once the pandemic dies down.

• Haha

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Halloween is the best, signals the start of fat season :D
It really is a fun time of the year. I don’t understand why people are so negative in terms of ‘I hate kids, I hate Halloween’ mentality. I can’t imagine living such a miserable life, when it really is meant to be just fun. I totally get the aspect that some people don’t like Halloween, which is fine, but I don’t understand why people have to be so negative, where they seem like it upsets their life. That’s just not a way to live.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
It really is a fun time of the year. I don’t understand why people are so negative in terms of ‘I hate kids, I hate Halloween’ mentality. I can’t imagine living such a miserable life, when it really is meant to be just fun. I totally get the aspect that some people don’t like Halloween, which is fine, but I don’t understand why people have to be so negative, where they seem like it upsets their life. That’s just not a way to live.
women get to dress provocatively and men get to eat endless candy, no matter your age you get put on a costume of go get free candy. it's a win win and the best holiday IMHO

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Personally it’s just a silly American holiday that retailers are desperate to embrace over here. But I also recall how it used to upset my autistic daughter every year when she was young. If you have no Halloween crap in your window or front garden, why do people who you don’t know feel they can knock on your door and ask for treats? It wouldn’t be acceptable any other day of the year, so it’s not on that day.

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
For you it’s a fun time of the year. That’s the difference. It’s the worst time of the year for others. Understand? Does that make us miserable? Nah. Just not fans of holidays. ?

Does it upset my life? Not at all. I ignore the holidays as much as possible. I go to my family obligations for dinners and what not. The family know it’s not my deal at all. My family appreciate the fact that I am there.

Why does it bother you how others feel about a random subject? Holiday season is my nightmare time. I’m glad you enjoy them. I don’t.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
women get to dress provocatively and men get to eat endless candy, no matter your age you get put on a costume of go get free candy. it's a win win and the best holiday IMHO
I tend to overestimate every year, we have a lot of candy left over. The problem is, I or my wife actually don’t really even eat candy at all. I know a Community group here in my city, where I can take basically the 5 pounds of candy that I have remaining, and they’ll bundle it in ziplock bags, and give it to kids that are less fortunate where maybe it will brighten up their day. So there’s another way of making an impact on people who didn’t get to go trick-or-treating or didn’t get to have the whole fun factor experience.

I wasn’t joking either…..this might be 7 pounds actually.
4D0E800B-5A5F-4E5A-996D-36EFAC7FD359.jpeg

Reactions: jkcerda

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I tend to overestimate every year, we have a lot of candy left over. The problem is, I or my wife actually don’t really even eat candy at all. I know a Community group here in my city, where I can take basically the 5 pounds of candy that I have remaining, and they’ll bundle it in ziplock bags, and give it to kids that are less fortunate where maybe it will brighten up their day. So there’s another way of making an impact on people who didn’t get to go trick-or-treating or didn’t get to have the whole fun factor experience.

I wasn’t joking either…..this might be 7 pounds actually.
View attachment 1902273
I’ll take the M&M’s.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

It was made back in day to keep kids from using the English tradition of mischief during the night, hence the trick or treat saying taught to kids today!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It was made back in day to keep kids from using the English tradition of mischief during the night, hence the trick or treat saying taught to kids today!
Don’t worry. Tonight we celebrate Guy Fawkes. When we all fondly set off fireworks and burn his effigy on a bonfire to remind us what happened to the last person who tried to blow up parliament. These days they’d give him a medal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.