Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Maybe I’m wrong on this but wouldn’t it be possible to run a real OS like MacOS, Windows or Linux on an iPad via a virtual machine app like Parallels if latter made a full iPadOS app to do so?

Since the VM is just a container for an OS then it could run it so within that VM and all of the above mentioned OS’s run on the MacOS versions of their M1/ Arm supported OS’s.

No? Yes?

Reactions: sbdyontheweb

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Parallels, or any other virtualization platform or an emulator, will not meet Apple’s App Store Guidelines, specifically section 2.5.2:

• 2.5.2 Apps should be self-contained in their bundles, and may not read or write data outside the designated container area, nor may they download, install, or execute code which introduces or changes features or functionality of the app, including other apps. Educational apps designed to teach, develop, or allow students to test executable code may, in limited circumstances, download code provided that such code is not used for other purposes. Such apps must make the source code provided by the app completely viewable and editable by the user.

So while it may be technically possible, it is not going to happen.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Maybe, but would you want to? Sounds like a lag-fest and a UI mess.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
You can do it by sideloading an app called UTM.
There are lot of demos on YouTube to see what you can expect by doing it.
Not a viable solution for my standards.
Instead, I just got an old Windows laptop, kept it powered at home 24/7, and I'm using remote desktop to access it whenever I need a Windows application.
Much better performance and versatility.

Reactions: mji71

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
You can put them in a VM on a laptop, which has a keyboard and trackpad built in so you can use it. I'm not sure they would be much good on a small screened touch only device. Also, iPadOS is based on OS X, which is based on Unix. It doesn't get any more 'real' than that.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I played around with a Ventura VM (via UTM and VirtualBuddy) on an M1 MacBook Air, and I thought it was pretty snappy.
With iPadOS 16 allowing non-mirrored-only external monitor support, might this be a good solution for a "mac" to go in a pinch? Pair the iPad with an external monitor, keyboard and trackpad?

Probably be best on a 1TB iPad Pro with 16GB.

Anyone try this?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
But iPadOS has excellent support for external monitors, mice and keyboards.

While true, it is severely crippled, compared to macOS.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was ‘excellent’ support.

And ‘severely crippled’ is an over used trope. It’s different, you do things differently, it’s for a different type of machine. There is very, very little you can’t do that most people need to do in iPadOS, for the type of usages people use an iPad for. And after all, macOS is an extremely mature os. iPadOS is a couple of years old.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was ‘excellent’ support.

Sure. I'll rephrase.

The iPad monitor, keyboard, trackpad and mouse support is absolutely good enough that a virtualized macOS installation would be fully usable.

Ok?

And ‘severely crippled’ is an over used trope. It’s different, you do things differently, it’s for a different type of machine.

It is severely crippled for what I, and many others, would like to use it for.

There are 4376 posts on the topic here:

There is very, very little you can’t do that most people need to do in iPadOS, for the type of usages people use an iPad for.

Had the iPad not been so hampered by software limitations, lots of people could and would choose an iPad for more types of usages.

Of course most people don't need more. But for those of us that do, having the option to run macOS virtualized would be a fully acceptable compromise.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Sure. I'll rephrase.

The iPad monitor, keyboard, trackpad and mouse support is absolutely good enough that a virtualized macOS installation would be fully usable.

Ok?

It is severely crippled for what I, and many others, would like to use it for.

There are 4376 posts on the topic here:

Had the iPad not been so hampered by software limitations, lots of people could and would choose an iPad for more types of usages.

Of course most people don't need more. But for those of us that do, having the option to run macOS virtualized would be a fully acceptable compromise.
If you want a mac, buy a mac. What kind of ‘power’ use do you want to use an iPad for that a mac would not be better suited for?

I’m a ‘power user’, I’m a professional photographer. An iPad and its os are perfectly suited to me. There are plenty of other professions that can say the same. In comparison to macOS, iPadOS stays right out of the way. With macs and pcs I’m forever having to deal with the os. With an iPad I pick it up, and just get on with what I want.

As well as a stand-alone laptop replacement - I use my iPad with my desktop Mac regularly. That’s where the iPad shines. Making it an all in one device would be a mistake in my opinion.

PS I have read the near 5000 posts, and it’s 90% whinge, 10% useful.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Just be grateful you're stuck with iPadOS and not Android. Btw, both of these can do this tethered.

Solutions work very well (SideCar for the iPad and SuperDisplay for Android, and a variety of others), This is the workaround, but not exactly portable, and not perfect. My problem with these is it's not 100% stable like a regular
touch monitor.

Anyways, I really like iPadOS a LOT. Screw MacOS. Maybe you want some specific app? That's why I looked into it. I'd say I like iPadOS as much as I hate Android on a large tablet.

Last edited:

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
What kind of ‘power’ use do you want to use an iPad for that a mac would not be better suited for?

That’s off-topic for this thread, but I believe I have stated it clearly in the iPad-as-laptop-replacement thread. (For one simple and well-defined example, just search for “Xcode” in that thread.)

Making it an all in one device would be a mistake in my opinion.

I fail to see how allowing those of us who would benefit from running macOS virtualized in an iPad app would affect your iPad experience in any way, just as the existence of the option to run command line tools in iSH does not affect you, but greatly benefits those of use that have use for it.

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I fail to see how allowing those of us who would benefit from running macOS virtualized in an iPad app would affect your iPad experience in any way, just as the existence of the option to run command line tools in iSH does not affect you, but greatly benefits those of use that have use for it.
I’m not against allowing virtualisation in iPadOS…

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Just be grateful you're stuck with iPadOS and not Android. Btw, both of these can do this tethered.

Solutions work very well (SideCar for the iPad and SuperDisplay for Android, and a variety of others), This is the workaround, but not exactly portable, and not perfect. My problem with these is it's not 100% stable like a regular
touch monitor.

Anyways, I really like iPadOS a LOT. Screw MacOS. Maybe you want some specific app? That's why I looked into it. I'd say I like iPadOS as much as I hate Android on a large tablet.
Superdisplay is (by far) the closest solution to a regular touch monitor. And if you have good connection, you can use it wireless with zero lag. For me it's 100% stable with my desktop via ethernet and works great around the house (makes my desktop "mobile", at least at home).
And that's also the main use I have for Android tablets, almost anything else is done with iPads....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I cant wait MacOS on the iPad so we can read all the complaints from power-users, who need the power of MacOS to be productive, when their super thin computer with no fan and no vents throttles under the load of desktop pro apps. Not to mention their complaints about the cost of the 13" 1TB iPad which they need for 16GB RAM.

Talk about compromising your work computer just so that it can be an iPad for personal use.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I cant wait MacOS on the iPad so we can read all the complaints from power-users, who need the power of MacOS to be productive, when their super thin computer with no fan and no vents throttles under the load of desktop pro apps. Not to mention their complaints about the cost of the 13" 1TB iPad which they need for 16GB RAM.

Talk about compromising your work computer just so that it can be an iPad for personal use.
That's the usual debate. I am sure many people would be more than happy to have a desktop Mac (mini or iMac) at home as their "work" device and a cellular 13" iPad pro with Magic Keyboard which can be an iPad at home but boot into MacOS for use on the go (not that this will ever happen knowing Apple)

Reactions: VaruLV

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I played around with a Ventura VM (via UTM and VirtualBuddy) on an M1 MacBook Air, and I thought it was pretty snappy.
With iPadOS 16 allowing non-mirrored-only external monitor support, might this be a good solution for a "mac" to go in a pinch? Pair the iPad with an external monitor, keyboard and trackpad?

Probably be best on a 1TB iPad Pro with 16GB.

Anyone try this?
Yep, UTM scores better in Geekbench on my iPad Pro M2 11” 16GB / 1TB, than it does on my Mac Studio M1 Max (see screenshots. Currently, the only OS that doesn’t crash in iPadOS 17 is the 10.5.9 community mod. Regular Leopard and Tiger probably work, but I haven't tied them. Windows and Linux worked fine in iPadOS 16. I may be able to get things working when I get time, though. iPadOS 17 is still pretty fresh). I can connect to a 4K monitor via HDMI, and full the VM in full screen faster than many computers. UTM just lacks graphics acceleration. Could you imagine if Parallels was aloud to make a an iPad product?

IMG_2296.jpeg
IMG_0908.png

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
At a bare minimum, Apple doesn’t need to bring macOS to the iPad, it just needs to open things up some and make multitasking better.

For opening up the OS for more software, they can very easily and very securely offer a way to unlock advance features. They could implement a process for booting into a recovery like mode, then you manually allow access to a more advance mode. It doesn’t have to be macOS, it could just be for using non-app store apps that can access features like Hypervisor. This process then can’t be activated within normal iPadOS, making it far more secure, and can Even only be supported on the Pro models. If need be, sideloading or installing non-app store apps could require a Mac and Apple Configurator. I think utilizing the “if you can’t do an advance process, you shouldn’t be doing this“ model is ok in these cases.

For multitasking, Stage Manger is better than nothing, but it’s pathetic at best. They need to make it more Expose / Mission Control like. Make it require 8GB+ of RAM if they’re nervous about the experience, that’s fine, but let us run a bunch of apps at once without jumping though hoops and dealing with a really poor user experience.

Reactions: cflem

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
Currently posting this from a PPC OS X VM on my iPad Pro. It's going a little slower today, not sure why, but it's honestly about as fast as it would be running on a PPC Mac lol. I just need to get an ARM version of macOS running. I'm also doing it while playing a 4k YouTube video on the YouTube app (not in the VM), so that's a +1 for the iPad over a PPC Mac.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
Yep, UTM scores better in Geekbench on my iPad Pro M2 11” 16GB / 1TB, than it does on my Mac Studio M1 Max (see screenshots. Currently, the only OS that doesn’t crash in iPadOS 17 is the 10.5.9 community mod. Regular Leopard and Tiger probably work, but I haven't tied them. Windows and Linux worked fine in iPadOS 16. I may be able to get things working when I get time, though. iPadOS 17 is still pretty fresh). I can connect to a 4K monitor via HDMI, and full the VM in full screen faster than many computers. UTM just lacks graphics acceleration. Could you imagine if Parallels was aloud to make a an iPad product?

View attachment 2301908 View attachment 2301911

OMG thats so cool!!! Do you have to attach by USB any time you launch UTM though so you can get JIT?

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
OMG thats so cool!!! Do you have to attach by USB any time you launch UTM though so you can get JIT?
No, but if UTM quits (or more likely crashes, because you're trying to testa new VM lol), then you have to connect the iPad via USB to a Mac running AltServer to reenable JIT. They should get wireless JIT working again at some point too.

Also, I wasn't able to get the JIT in iPadOS 17 working via my Mac Studio when it was running macOS 12 Monterey, had to upgrade to 14 Sonoma.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
It's rather confusing what you need now, and the steps to make this work. I looked into it a while ago and apparently Altistore would only work on an old version of IOS, and UTM with full virtualization (what you have to have for anything decent) wouldn't work without tethering.

If there's a good way of doing this, we need a manual. If for some reason 17 now is making this a good option (it wasn't before IMO, just a hack), then we really need instructions.

Apple has made it clear they are set against this sort of thing. They want us to believe that iOS is more secure than Mac OS. Well.....

It is a fun sort of thing though. But as someone said, Parallels on an iPAD? Now that would be something

Reactions: xxFoxtail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.