Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
It's rather confusing what you need now, and the steps to make this work. I looked into it a while ago and apparently Altistore would only work on an old version of IOS, and UTM with full virtualization (what you have to have for anything decent) wouldn't work without tethering.

UTM is ok, but Apple sabotages it on the iPad blocking access to the hypervisor, which is a part of your processor that translates instructions dynamically.

Also, Apple will actively hunt for those apps and revoke their license, which means you have to constantly reinstall them.

If there's a good way of doing this, we need a manual. If for some reason 17 now is making this a good option (it wasn't before IMO, just a hack), then we really need instructions.

Apple has made it clear they are set against this sort of thing. They want us to believe that iOS is more secure than Mac OS. Well.....

It is a fun sort of thing though. But as someone said, Parallels on an iPAD? Now that would be something

Yes, they are against virtualization / emulation. Which is too bad, because Apple devices can do wonders with emulation.

If Parallels really wanted, they could develop a cloud app to bypass Apple's license. But it's too much of a hassle for too little benefit. Like I said before, Apple's advantage on portable devices is running thin, and you're probably better off with a Surface or a x86 portable device, which will give you a better run for your money.

Reactions: sbdyontheweb

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
So iPadOS is an unreal OS?;)

I like to think that different OS are optimised for different usage patterns.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020

I'm not sure where you even drew that conclusion from, but okay.

Of course, but the iPad is not worth the bang for the buck in most cases.
It has a lot of processing power that Apple doesn't want being used so their precious Macbooks won't be cannibalized.

Reactions: macfacts

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I'm not sure where you even drew that conclusion from, but okay.

Of course, but the iPad is not worth the bang for the buck in most cases.
It has a lot of processing power that Apple doesn't want being used so their precious Macbooks won't be cannibalized.
Just joking. The adjective should be "advanced".

For some application, that are not keyboard/desk bound, iPad is worth every penny. There are som many examples where a simpler OS is preferred over an advanced/complex OS.

sbdyontheweb

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
If apple can’t make IpadOs better they should at least let power users use hypervisor mode. I’d be more than happy to install windows 11 on ipad (or macos) and finally have a browser that doesn’t refresh every ****ing time it goes to background.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
If apple can’t make IpadOs better they should at least let power users use hypervisor mode. I’d be more than happy to install windows 11 on ipad (or macos) and finally have a browser that doesn’t refresh every ****ing time it goes to background.
Yeah, it's kind of frustrating how they've drawn a hard line at emulation of any type. If they can allow the hypervisor to be accessed in a sandbox, and there's no reason (security-wise) not to allow us to do it.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Yeah, it's kind of frustrating how they've drawn a hard line at emulation of any type. If they can allow the hypervisor to be accessed in a sandbox, and there's no reason (security-wise) not to allow us to do it.
It’s even more frustrating as the iPad is more than capable of running Windows 11 through UTM. It’s just Apple wanting to control the experience.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that the whole EU sideloading thing will open up the hypervisor framework for developers. I’d love to be wrong here though.

Reactions: Edgecrusherr

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
It’s even more frustrating as the iPad is more than capable of running Windows 11 through UTM. It’s just Apple wanting to control the experience.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that the whole EU sideloading thing will open up the hypervisor framework for developers. I’d love to be wrong here though.
I know, the iPad would probably run Windows 11 better than any or most current true ARM Windows 11 tablets. Of course, that’s minus graphic related stuff, since UTM doesn’t yet have graphics acceleration, but could you imagine if Apple opened it up well enough that someone like Parallels or VMware ported over the full version of their software, with all the graphics acceleration they have?

And yeah, if we get sideloading, it doesn’t mean they have to give us all the features. Sideloaded apps will probably be crippled by Apple’s doing.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I know, the iPad would probably run Windows 11 better than any or most current true ARM Windows 11 tablets. Of course, that’s minus graphic related stuff, since UTM doesn’t yet have graphics acceleration, but could you imagine if Apple opened it up well enough that someone like Parallels or VMware ported over the full version of their software, with all the graphics acceleration they have?

And yeah, if we get sideloading, it doesn’t mean they have to give us all the features. Sideloaded apps will probably be crippled by Apple’s doing.
Apple seems to have found the way to screw everyone by allowing sideloading only on iOS but not on iPadOS and I am afraid the EU will not complain about this...

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Apple seems to have found the way to screw everyone by allowing sideloading only on iOS but not on iPadOS and I am afraid the EU will not complain about this...

Apple will only screw themselves on the long run with this move, not me.
I'm probably not buying another iPad, as much as I like mine. I'm getting something more easily repairable and/or more versatile.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I didn't think about that, I'll have to look into the law change to see if it includes iPads. I would think it would though, as it's not specifically smart phones, but focus on digital market places.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I didn't think about that, I'll have to look into the law change to see if it includes iPads. I would think it would though, as it's not specifically smart phones, but focus on digital market places.
according to Gurman and others sideloading will be iPhone only, so I guess the law is not clear enough and Apple is trying to get away with it...

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
That makes me feel better about renewing my Apple developer membership, so I can continue to use AltStore without having to sync once a week lol.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I don’t think it’s possible.

VM would be nice though, since I use it to test things or install software for school/work that I wouldn’t want on my main system

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006

I think the original title is in jest, since iPadOS is so restricted, and very much under utilizing the technology it's built on.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
to the hypervisor, which is a part of your processor that translates instructions dynamically
You've got things a bit mixed up there. The hypervisor does not do binary translation. In the normal case virtualization does not include any kind of binary translation. It's also not part of the processor. In a nutshell the hypervisor is the piece of software that sits between the host machine (and operating system) and the virtual machine. macOS contains a hypervisor, the virtualization framework. With iPadOS being a reskinned version of macOS it would be easy to support virtualization on the iPad, too, if Apple chose to do so. For my use cases I'd be happy with DosBox on iPad, which is an emulator rather than a virtual machine and also does include binary translation.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I cant wait MacOS on the iPad so we can read all the complaints from power-users, who need the power of MacOS to be productive, when their super thin computer with no fan and no vents throttles under the load of desktop pro apps. Not to mention their complaints about the cost of the 13" 1TB iPad which they need for 16GB RAM.
I am one of those with a 1TB 13" iPad. I wanted a 512 but since delivery time was running into months, I decided to splash out and get the upgrade anyway. I would NEVER want to run macOS or a VM on my iPad. I've got a 14" MBP for that if I'd really want it. (Still haven't upgraded my Intel Parallels to an Apple Silicon version...)

I got a high spec iPad because I do music. I record up to a gigabyte per day. With my previous 64GB iPad, it was getting very tedious balancing apps and recordings. The advantage of the iPad is that it's an appliance rather than a computer. I open AUM and it's a touch-screen mixer. Period. If I really, really want, I can open up a browser and get distracted. But I don't because it's a touch-screen mixer, not a computer. The same when I use it for work: I open GoodNotes and it's my notebook, period. It's for that reason that I love the iPad. It does that one-thing-at-a-time really well. And when I really want to, I can open Outlook with GoodNotes as a slide-over window on the right side and do some basic multitasking. It's proven sufficient for business trips of a few days (taking the small Apple keyboard with me in that case).

Reactions: xxFoxtail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.