Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItachiSBT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
So, there's clearly a problem with the photos on my iPhone 13 pro. It's not only me because yesterday I saw a topic here with people reporting the same thing.

Basically every single photo I take is automatically modified with evident layers of sharpness, excessive contrast and other things.
It's not one of the profile, it's not the normal post-processing of the phone. You know when in photoshop you put "sharpness" at 100 and everything look weird? Same thing.
And when I open a photo on the photo app at the beginning, for. fraction of second, I can see the normal photo with the normal colors. But after that second all the "modifications" pop up.
It happens on video too, it's even more evident because on the gallery you can see the icon of the video with the normal colors, only when you open it the different colors appear like a quick bad photoshop fix.

I tried everything and there no way to avoid this.

Another details, if I shoot a raw photo the preview is the same but when I open it to change it I finally see the "normal" version. But obviolsy I can't shoot only raw and I don't have this option with video.

This is the topic where people is reporting the same thing

They think it's a side effect of a bad HDR implementation but for me is not that, the modification that the software apply are several and not only limited to exposure.

Edit: I just want to add. I had iPhones for years. I'm not confusing this with some "normal" post processing. The photos are really bad, it's basically impossibile to obtain a normal face without the "bad photoshop" effect.

Last edited:

ItachiSBT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Mine does this too, the only mode that does not do that is portrait mode but regular photos and live photos show the nice image then make it all crunchy..gonna send a report to Apple as well

I'm trying to understand if it happens to everyone or not. Because in the first case is clearly a bug (and I hope it will be fixed) but in the second case it's a problem with our iPhone specifically.
But I don't remember to see any articles or video about this, no one is talking about it so I have to suppose that it's only a problem in a few models maybe

Eekamouse

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
I'm trying to understand if it happens to everyone or not. Because in the first case is clearly a bug (and I hope it will be fixed) but in the second case it's a problem with our iPhone specifically.
But I don't remember to see any articles or video about this, no one is talking about it so I have to suppose that it's only a problem in a few models maybe
I saw someone else posting about their pet photos being too crunchy as well. I am asking my niece to check hers which is an 11pro to see if it does the same to her dog, then I would know if it is IOS15 related or 13 pro related

Eekamouse

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
I am also wondering if it is related to the photo styles. I had mine set to vivid which ups the color and the crunchy hdr look it appears. I put it back to standard and it is a bit better

Reactions: Diesel79 and RRC

Eekamouse

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
So I just turned off view live photos and it seems to have fixed the issue, since the issue happens when viewing live photos it makes sense there must be some weird filter. The first pic is before and the second is after turning it off, much more normal looking photo

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 3,509
  • BUster3.jpeg
    BUster3.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 3,242

PatrycjaKozdra

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
Toronto
I noticed the 13 Pro Max is producing blurry images compared to my friends iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Please see attached examples

We've tried taking numerous photos and they all result in same results.
I also rebooted the iPhone.

I'm seeing threads with issues with the front camera but haven't seen anyone with the back camera having issues.
IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0909.PNG
IMG_8269.JPG
IMG_8271.PNG

Reactions: northernlight

PatrycjaKozdra

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
Toronto
Here is a video recording and the video is distorted (compressed the video to upload here)

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Interesting, did you setup as new or restore from iCloud?

You could try reset all settings, but this will delete all your saved Wi-Fi logins.

GreenGrill

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
This is definitely a bug. And a really awful and messed up one at that. Overall the camera has been more than a disappointment, I am MAD.

I switched from the 11 pro max, to the 13 pro max. I don’t have any special settings turned on for the camera. I am getting that thing where the photo looks fine and then auto adjusts and the whole thing looks awful. On top of that - and it may be a separate issue - but this camera does not know how to focus. I used to be able to take out my phone and snap a shot, now it takes a few seconds for my phone to figure out what to focus on. Apple needs to fix these issues fast.

RebelTrust

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2017
Glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks the photos on these new phones are completely awful. The post processing makes the pictures look low quality and watercolor-like. Photos from my iPhone X look more natural to me. Hopefully this is indeed just a bug or software issue that can be fixed quickly. I can’t believe that this is the way that Apple intended photos to be viewed/taken.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
So I just turned off view live photos and it seems to have fixed the issue, since the issue happens when viewing live photos it makes sense there must be some weird filter. The first pic is before and the second is after turning it off, much more normal looking photo
Yikes, the one on the left looks like a cardboard cutout. Or a really bad photoshopped "dog replacement."

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.

Sorry for sounding stupid, but where is the ‘view Live Photos’ option? Thanks.

Reactions: RedGT and Wizec

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
To me it looks like in the 13 photo it's focused on something further away, so the closest parts of the table are out of focus, but the items on the shelves are actually more detailed than on the 12 - you can actually recognize some letters on the book titles or that bottle of Laphroaig compared to 12's blurred mess.

Also, 13 pro cameras have lower depth of field so when you take photos from a closer range, there is less range of distance where objects will be focused and objects out of that range will be blurred by the natural bokeh effect from the lens.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Made no difference for me on my 13, took a photo of a church with and without live photo - it looked cell shaded, like a 3D rendering or something. Sent it back, sticking with my X, the photos look more natural.
This is where the ProRaw on the Pro models comes in handy: it doesn’t use the same compression engine as the Apple HEIF. Pictures taken in RAW look more natural and less harsh.

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
This is definitely a bug. And a really awful and messed up one at that. Overall the camera has been more than a disappointment, I am MAD.

I switched from the 11 pro max, to the 13 pro max. I don’t have any special settings turned on for the camera. I am getting that thing where the photo looks fine and then auto adjusts and the whole thing looks awful. On top of that - and it may be a separate issue - but this camera does not know how to focus. I used to be able to take out my phone and snap a shot, now it takes a few seconds for my phone to figure out what to focus on. Apple needs to fix these issues fast.

Today is the first time I’ve really been using the camera on the 13 PM. That’s one thing I’ve noticed is it’s missing focus quite frequently. I tried a macro shot of a moth on a flower. It focuses in on the flower, and not on the moth despite tapping the moth to focus on. I’ve tried it on other objects and it can be a hit or miss.

victorquirosb

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2021
Guys !!! It might sound stupid, but I've been really annoyed about this post processing which iOS or whoever applies.
First, I wen to apple store, they told me they haven't had a customer before reporting this issue.
Second, I was sure that something was going on with this post processing. Really over sharpening the photos.
Today, I opened the pictures in photoshop, and also In photo library, and there you go ! Magicaly, in photoshop, is not over sharpened. I compare two pictures, and I have a clear proof in a car plate. So, definitely we are not crazy, something is going on with IOS. I will try to upload here the diferents pictures, as is my first time posting here.

Reactions: TMax

victorquirosb

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2021
Its crazy !!!!!!!!!! In the IOS one, you can't even see properly the car plate. I haven't edit any of the pictures, they are natural, just opened with different apps (Photo library and Photoshop) and after screenshot.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2021-10-12 a las 14.25.44.png
    Captura de pantalla 2021-10-12 a las 14.25.44.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,852
  • Captura de pantalla 2021-10-12 a las 14.25.28.png
    Captura de pantalla 2021-10-12 a las 14.25.28.png
    56 KB · Views: 2,902
Reactions: jhoff8600

aj330

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
NYC
I have the iphone 13 pro max and also seeing the photo issue - first it's blurry then it takes about a second for the photo to become clear. I called Apple support, the rep reached out to their technician at the image or photo team for advise. First they said it was caused by my wifi speed and that the photo was taking time to upload to my icloud. I argued with apple support that it wasn't my wifi speed and they put me on with the senior technician who earlier suggested it was wifi speed issue. The technician ran some hardware test on my iphone and said everything (LiDAR, and other camera components) are working fine. I was asked to take the phone to a Apple Genius so they can "hold the phone and see the problem". I have appointment on Thursday so let's see what they say.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.