Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
This is the beauty of pro raw. You can make it how you want. It shows what the sensors can really do without apple's processing on top.

I no longer use a computer. Just an iPad. And I’m not paying for a fancy photo editing app. My serious photo editing days are over.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I no longer use a computer. Just an iPad. And I’m not paying for a fancy photo editing app. My serious photo editing days are over.
you can still edit using the apple main camera app. Not like you need to do too much really to get an improvement. Downside is the size is rather big when editing without lightroom.

I also wouldn't say there's much of an issue with 14 pro camera stand photos. Just struggles at times with HDR and shadow detail

krvld

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2023
How my 13 mini took the photo (no Night Mode) vs how I edited it on my Mac via built in Photos editor to look somewhat true to life.

How's original photo normal in Apple eyes? Over-highlighted, Over-sharpened mess.

IMG_1689.jpeg IMG_1689 Edited.jpeg

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
How my 13 mini took the photo (no Night Mode) vs how I edited it on my Mac via built in Photos editor to look somewhat true to life.

How's original photo normal in Apple eyes? Over-highlighted, Over-sharpened mess.

View attachment 2301517 View attachment 2301516
Have you tried RAW mode?

Most digital imaging includes some sort of method to "enhance" the image and often not exactly eye pleasing. Knowing that images can be edited to a degree that is desirable makes the issue of the "original" not a real issue at all. Having had both Samsung and previously Apple, I spent less time with Samsung images and in the end, both turned out very editable and usable images. Btw, you top image may be less pleasing but considering the light sources, it probably is not a bad image. Your bottom image is very warm and though I like it, it is unnatural looking for a night scene unless these are seriously warm kelvin at work.

Last edited:
Reactions: krvld

krvld

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2023
Have you tried RAW mode?

Most digital imaging includes some sort of method to "enhance" the image and often not exactly eye pleasing. Knowing that images can be edited to a degree that is desirable makes the issue of the "original" not a real issue at all. Having had both Samsung and previously Apple, I spent less time with Samsung images and in the end, both turned out very editable and usable images. Btw, you top image may be less pleasing but considering light sources, it probably is not a bad image. Your bottom image is very warm and though I like it, it is unnatural looking for a nigh seen unless these are seriously warm kelvin at work.
Having read this thread I decided to purchase Moment app to have control over Apple algorithms.

It’s crazy how nothing have changed after 2 years and new iOS releases.

I agree the photo came out a bit warmer to look more aesthetically pleasing. I was just trying to mitigate over sharpened and highlighted look.

Btw the “look” is not as pronounced on phone’s screen, but on my Mac and IPad screens it’s a big difference.

After all maybe it’s Apple’s intent to care only about how photo renders on the iPhone screen.

Reactions: phrehdd

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Having read this thread I decided to purchase Moment app to have control over Apple algorithms.

It’s crazy how nothing have changed after 2 years and new iOS releases.

I agree the photo came out a bit warmer to look more aesthetically pleasing. I was just trying to mitigate over sharpened and highlighted look.

Btw the “look” is not as pronounced on phone’s screen, but on my Mac and IPad screens it’s a big difference.

After all maybe it’s Apple’s intent to care only about how photo renders on the iPhone screen.
Please can you tell me if you can take photos in Live mode with the Moment app

also, is it just one time payment or monthly ?

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
When you don’t compare to Android lol

meh

The 15PM I have has very good lenses on all 3 cameras, with uniform sharpness, flat focus plane, almost perfect corner resolution and decent CA control. The main 48MP raw output is incredible in noise and detail, on par with any Android output I saw except for the downsampled 200MP Isocell (can’t beat 16-to-4 processing).

And 12MP native UW and Telephoto hold their own even against slightly bigger quad bayer sensors in most Android flagships, which can’t provide native 48-50MP files and use 12MP upscaling instead. I had my hopes high that, for example, Oppo X6 Pro, OnePlus Open or Pixel Pro 8 improve UW and Telephoto a lot. But they are barely better than 15PM, and most of the difference can be masked by Lightroom anyway.

But I’ve already seen Pro 8 with decentered telephoto lens (or maybe just a massive focal plane skew).

So yeah, 15PM (and I believe 14PM) are playing well against the rest, with noticeably better QC on lens quality and the main camera being as good as the cameras currently get. I know that using an Android instead of iPhone may lead to false sense of being an expert in everything, but in reality it’s not the case.

The only real weakness of the iPhone default camera app is inability to force telephoto lens. It’s absolutely infuriating.

P.S. I mostly use ProCamera app and only shoot ProRaw 48MP, and edit in Lightroom mobile or desktop. I can’t stand any default overprocessing that Apple and other manufacturers use, regardless. But at least with 48MP, which are to be downsized to 24 or 12, it’s not as painful as before.

Reactions: krvld

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
meh

The 15PM I have has very good lenses on all 3 cameras, with uniform sharpness, flat focus plane, almost perfect corner resolution and decent CA control. The main 48MP raw output is incredible in noise and detail, on par with any Android output I saw except for the downsampled 200MP Isocell (can’t beat 16-to-4 processing).

And 12MP native UW and Telephoto hold their own even against slightly bigger quad bayer sensors in most Android flagships, which can’t provide native 48-50MP files and use 12MP upscaling instead. I had my hopes high that, for example, Oppo X6 Pro, OnePlus Open or Pixel Pro 8 improve UW and Telephoto a lot. But they are barely better than 15PM, and most of the difference can be masked by Lightroom anyway.

But I’ve already seen Pro 8 with decentered telephoto lens (or maybe just a massive focal plane skew).

So yeah, 15PM (and I believe 14PM) are playing well against the rest, with noticeably better QC on lens quality and the main camera being as good as the cameras currently get. I know that using an Android instead of iPhone may lead to false sense of being an expert in everything, but in reality it’s not the case.

The only real weakness of the iPhone default camera app is inability to force telephoto lens. It’s absolutely infuriating.

P.S. I mostly use ProCamera app and only shoot ProRaw 48MP, and edit in Lightroom mobile or desktop. I can’t stand any default overprocessing that Apple and other manufacturers use, regardless. But at least with 48MP, which are to be downsized to 24 or 12, it’s not as painful as before.

14P is worse than 13P, see any camera test in YouTube.

Reactions: Dsmith7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.