Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
The iPhone is focusing on the water droplets on the window as it’s closest to the camera. You’ll have to “touch to focus” where you want the camera to focus precisely, if you haven’t already during this set. Or move the camera closer to the window to where the camera ignores the water droplets. Just raising the camera and taking the photo, the iPhone will always focus on the closest objects to the camera first unless you force it to focus elsewhere.
On the airplane I had the phone stuck against the window still no dice also tried pressing the screen on something else like the condensation on window. Your advice works most of the time however. Cheers

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
On the airplane I had the phone stuck against the window still no dice also tried pressing the screen on something else like the condensation on window. Your advice works most of the time however. Cheers
Yeah those airplane windows are double or triple pane so they’re spaced apart from each other so it’s going to be hard to dismiss the raindrops with auto focus. A car windshield would be a lot easier to navigate around and avoid raindrops with… personally, if it wasn’t raining hard I would just roll the window down.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Yeah those airplane windows are double or triple pane so they’re spaced apart from each other so it’s going to be hard to dismiss the raindrops with auto focus. A car windshield would be a lot easier to navigate around and avoid raindrops with… personally, if it wasn’t raining hard I would just roll the window down.

You didn’t ask me what I was taking the photos of?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
You didn’t ask me what I was taking the photos of?
I was reacting to the post of photos of some dude out of focus sitting in his car. Being on airplane I’m sure you’re probably trying to catch a sunset or ground detail from above. But out of curiosity what were you shooting pictures of?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I was reacting to the post of photos of some dude out of focus sitting in his car. Being on airplane I’m sure you’re probably trying to catch a sunset or ground detail from above. But out of curiosity what were you shooting pictures of?

Some old boy smoking a cigarette with his windows wound up.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Any improvement's with iOS 16?
Portrait mode has definitely improved. I really like using it now compared to the previous iOS. however, I don’t know how everybody else feels about it, hopefully we will hear from them soon. In fact, I think overall image quality has probably improved some. I still have not fully tested night mode yet. I’m really excited about the iPhone 14 Pro Max that I have on order, I’m ready for that iPhone. Here are a couple of portrait mode samples.

2BFEFAFC-C8F8-495D-BB8F-A269591A68A2.jpeg

943A725A-2E57-4AA5-9A11-1C53C73D8D0A.jpeg

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Just got done reading his review, he always does the best when it comes to the iPhone cameras!

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
From The Verge:

Where the iPhone 14 Pro falls down in these comparisons is really in the details of the processing: Apple’s been ramping up the amount of noise reduction and sharpening it does over the years, and the 14 Pro has the most aggressive sharpening and noise reduction yet.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
From The Verge:

Where the iPhone 14 Pro falls down in these comparisons is really in the details of the processing: Apple’s been ramping up the amount of noise reduction and sharpening it does over the years, and the 14 Pro has the most aggressive sharpening and noise reduction yet.
From what I’ve seen I don’t think so. You’ll need to read this review and download the 48 megapixel ProRAW DNG file and see for yourself. I don’t know how trustworthy the verge is but Austin Mann is one of the really good iPhone and travel photographers known and he’s been doing reviews on iPhones cameras for the last decade

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
From what I’ve seen I don’t think so. You’ll need to read this review and download the 48 megapixel ProRAW DNG file and see for yourself. I don’t know how trustworthy the verge is but Austin Mann is one of the really good iPhone and travel photographers known and he’s been doing reviews on iPhones cameras for the last decade

Reading the review, he DOES say that Apple applies noise reduction and sharpening, and when he finds it too much, he uses a ProRaw slider in Lightroom CC to lessen the effect. The photos in that review have all been post processed, they are not straight from the phone.

Reactions: ToddH and mavere

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Portrait mode has definitely improved. I really like using it now compared to the previous iOS. however, I don’t know how everybody else feels about it, hopefully we will hear from them soon. In fact, I think overall image quality has probably improved some. I still have not fully tested night mode yet. I’m really excited about the iPhone 14 Pro Max that I have on order, I’m ready for that iPhone. Here are a couple of portrait mode samples.

View attachment 2062502

View attachment 2062503
Todd, were these out of the phone, or you using your magic?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Mrwhostheboss has his S22 Ultra vs iPhone 14 Pro up.

It is a good review, but he doesn’t mention the fact that you can get all 48 megapixels when using ProRAW. Samples from Austin Mann’s review

9A6A7A67-74BC-4CAF-96B6-BCFD70A1EAB3.jpeg

Full 48mp, I doubt it shows here on the web. The actual DNG file can be downloaded from his iPhone 14 pro review page via Dropbox. The 48mp file details are impressive

82BAF919-89FE-4915-9275-D2D5E7252C2A.jpeg

75mb

17F34E80-2867-4AB7-AFE4-FB41E52392CC.png

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I just uploaded the 48mp file on my iMac with 5k monitor and it looks fantastic!!! Sine I downloaded the DNG file, I did a quick edit in Lightroom mobile and saved as jpeg. Wow!! Can’t wait to get mine!

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA

It is impressive to mess around with the true RAW image. I really need to shoot in RAW more often on my 13 Pro Max..yeah, it's smaller but still very workable. Just keep it toggled on as default. I'm so used to having RAW as default on my DSLR.

Original RAW file - No Processing
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 9.45.47 PM.png

Image Size
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 9.51.04 PM.png

EXIF
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 9.51.53 PM.png

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I sure hope the 14 has a better camera. I loved the camera on my 12 Pro Max but over this year have been terribly disappointed in the 13 Pro Max. I've Googled it and have changed settings, etc. but the photos are OK but not really great.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
It is impressive to mess around with the true RAW image. I really need to shoot in RAW more often on my 13 Pro Max..yeah, it's smaller but still very workable. Just keep it toggled on as default. I'm so used to having RAW as default on my DSLR.

Original RAW file - No Processing
View attachment 2062920

Image Size
View attachment 2062921

EXIF
View attachment 2062926
Isn’t it great! I’m really happy that Austin supplied us with a raw file. I really wish he would’ve given us the raw file of that mountain as well to play with instead of just a cow up close or a yak. however, that Raw file cleans up extremely well I think we’re going to have a lot of great images from that phone and it very well may replace my Sony DSLR for quite some time, especially if I get some external lenses from BeastGrip on the 1X camera for closer portraits.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhillyGuy72

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021

You mean promoting iphones for the last decade? I watch the video, better salesman than Apple own marketing videos

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
You mean promoting iphones for the last decade? I watch the video, better salesman than Apple own marketing videos
I’ve always trusted his reviews. You may not like it, but he seems to test them out and ways other reviewers Don’t plus he’s a real photographer where other people just show you snapshots without knowing what they’re doing sometimes. Austin shows you what the phone is capable of, other people that review the iPhones sometimes say it’s not good enough or just show you basic JPEG files. His review on the iPhone 13 pro max was much better, I put more into the review I think for that iPhone.

Reactions: MacLappy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.