Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes wait 14, maybe apple will fix that awful camera, or buy an older iphone if you want better camera (iphone 11pm for example). Read that topic to make your own conclusions avoiding troll posts.
the camera is certainly not awful. it has some serious HDR and shadowing issues but overall it is a very good camera. It does have weaknesses that won't be fixed with software updates.

the main sensor getting a massive increase in size should help. the sensor is too small compared to what is currently out there.

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
Yea, let me pull out the CPL filters i keep in my back pocket all the time to fix all of my device‘s shortcomings and then spend even more time in Lightroom fixing things in post…

nonetheless, great pics but this is what maybe 5% of iphone owners are going to go through to take pics. You’re essentially side stepping all of Apple’s post processing issues by telling people to shoot RAW and do the processing themselves after they spent $1000s of dollars off of the marketing promise that the 13P camera is incredibly smart and does all the thinking for you. But you do you.

pegasus912

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2021
My conclusion is that it’s the inability to disable noise reduction in Proraw. You can’t undo it in post either. You can shoot raw in other apps but I’ve actually had a lot of issues with third party camera apps not saving photos, only Lightroom and ProCamera seem to work consistently for me.

Reactions: thv

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
My conclusion is that it’s the inability to disable noise reduction in Proraw. You can’t undo it in post either. You can shoot raw in other apps but I’ve actually had a lot of issues with third party camera apps not saving photos, only Lightroom and ProCamera seem to work consistently for me.
Fwiw, since the latest 15.6? update, Halide has been flawless for me. It was a nightmare before with pics not saving correctly.

pegasus912

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2021
Fwiw, since the latest 15.6? update, Halide has been flawless for me. It was a nightmare before with pics not saving correctly.
Yeah it still has issues for me, it will do the the image rescue but it's a bit of a pain to have to do that all the time. I could probably do a reset and restore on my phone which might fix it but I think I'll just pick up a 14 pro if the camera is a big enough upgrade.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Yea, let me pull out the CPL filters i keep in my back pocket all the time to fix all of my device‘s shortcomings and then spend even more time in Lightroom fixing things in post…

nonetheless, great pics but this is what maybe 5% of iphone owners are going to go through to take pics. You’re essentially side stepping all of Apple’s post processing issues by telling people to shoot RAW and do the processing themselves after they spent $1000s of dollars off of the marketing promise that the 13P camera is incredibly smart and does all the thinking for you. But you do you.
Well that’s the type of photographer I am. I don’t shoot jpeg with my high end Sony A7RIII, I shoot raw. Why would it be any different for the iPhone? I want the best results possible. I’m not going to settle for the jpeg images that my iPhone puts out, I want higher quality. I’m sorry you don’t have the desire to push yourself or go through the extra effort to get the best quality from your iPhone and edit your shots… I get it if your not a photographer or don’t have the full understanding of what it takes to create a great photo. But don’t play the victim card here and blame the iPhone for bad photos. The camera is a tool. You are in control of your camera, it doesn’t control you… maybe it does, I don’t know. My point is, you get out of it what you put into it, that goes for everyone with anything. I’d like to see how many of you react, respond, & complain to shooting and understanding film. That’s a whole different ball of wax, that’s what I started with before digital came along. Today’s generation of menials wants everything handed to them instead of working hard for the results. Do you have a DSLR? If so do you only shoot jpeg with it? If you shoot raw with a DSLR, you should also shoot raw with the iPhone. Stop expecting raw quality from jpeg files directly from the camera. It’s not going to happen.

Last edited:

atari4

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2019
Well that’s the type of photographer I am. I don’t shoot jpeg with my high end Sony A7RIII, I shoot raw. Why would it be any different for the iPhone? I want the best results possible. I’m not going to settle for the jpeg images that my iPhone puts out, I want higher quality. I’m sorry you don’t have the desire to push yourself or go through the extra effort to get the best quality from your iPhone and edit your shots… I get it if your not a photographer or don’t have the full understanding of what it takes to create a great photo. But don’t play the victim card here and blame the iPhone for bad photos. The camera is a tool. You are in control of your camera, it doesn’t control you… maybe it does, I don’t know. My point is, you get out of it what you put into it, that goes for everyone with anything. I’d like to see how many of you react, respond, & complain to shooting and understanding film. That’s a whole different ball of wax, that’s what I started with before digital came along. Today’s generation of menials wants everything handed to them instead of working hard for the results. Do you have a DSLR? If so do you only shoot jpeg with it? If you shoot raw with a DSLR, you should also shoot raw with the iPhone. Stop expecting raw quality from jpeg files directly from the camera. It’s not going to happen.
At this topic we discuss about unedited iphone photos, and the result at iphone 13 pro is awful compared to previous iphones. You are offtopic as always.

MisterTibbs

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2018
UK
Isn't this a different argument though? I came here because the photos on my 13 were much more processed than my X. Just straight, point and shoot photos. No lightroom, no post processing just the photographs.
It's great you've found a way to get awesome images out of it by investing time and skill. Not everyone uses their phone for that degree of photography.
All I expected was for the quality to be as good as, if not better than what I was getting out of my iPhone X. And it wasn't.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Isn't this a different argument though? I came here because the photos on my 13 were much more processed than my X. Just straight, point and shoot photos. No lightroom, no post processing just the photographs.
It's great you've found a way to get awesome images out of it by investing time and skill. Not everyone uses their phone for that degree of photography.
All I expected was for the quality to be as good as, if not better than what I was getting out of my iPhone X. And it wasn't.
OK I understand that. However whenever there’s more options available to make your photos look better, why aren’t people pursuing that? Is it just because the lack of desire or lack of know how, lack of time? look I get it, not everybody is a skilled photographer and truthfully not everybody wants to be. But seeing everyone constantly complaining about the image quality of the iPhone 13 pro camera and knowing that there’s other options available to make the photos better, it’s quite annoying. I joined this forum because of my passion of photography and talking about it brings me joy. I like helping people with it and I want to help people understand and learn. However that has not been well received for whatever reason.

Reactions: DeadKlau5

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
At this topic we discuss about unedited iphone photos, and the result at iphone 13 pro is awful compared to previous iphones. You are offtopic as always.
It doesn’t matter. You’re complaining about the image quality of the phone camera knowing that there’s other options out there to improve the performance and not doing anything about it is just annoying. it’s like you enjoy complaining. I’m guessing that you enjoy photography but not willing to push yourself further to enjoy it more by exploring other options. It reminds me of the definition of insanity which is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Sitting around waiting for Apple to somehow fix what do you think is wrong with the camera instead of pursuing and looking at other options to turn your photography angst into joy is what should be taking place. In other words instead of complaining maybe you should educate yourself with other options.

MisterTibbs

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2018
UK
OK I understand that. However whenever there’s more options available to make your photos look better, why aren’t people pursuing that? Is it just because the lack of desire or lack of know how, lack of time? look I get it, not everybody is a skilled photographer and truthfully not everybody wants to be. But seeing everyone constantly complaining about the image quality of the iPhone 13 pro camera and knowing that there’s other options available to make the photos better, it’s quite annoying. I joined this forum because of my passion of photography and talking about it brings me joy. I like helping people with it and I want to help people understand and learn. However that has not been well received for whatever reason.
I definitely think you've opened up people's eyes to the possibilities of using other apps to get some very impressive images.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm just annoyed that Apple were selling me the "best camera in an iPhone ever" but that wasn't true! Every image looked like it had some level of "unsharp mask" from photoshop on it. That was a tip I got from a photographer in the 90s on how to remove noise from an image!

I suppose it all boils down to on what you want a camera phone for. I had a Sony Ericsson K750 and Sony Ericsson K800i and liked the convenience of being able to take visual notes and the odd snap.
When cameraphones were partially capable, I always kept a main camera as well as a camera phone. These days I pretty much follow the same ethos, if I want to properly take photos I have a nice little Lumix 4/3 camera with a handful of lenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect and RRC

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
It doesn’t matter. You’re complaining about the image quality of the phone camera knowing that there’s other options out there to improve the performance and not doing anything about it is just annoying. it’s like you enjoy complaining. I’m guessing that you enjoy photography but not willing to push yourself further to enjoy it more by exploring other options. It reminds me of the definition of insanity which is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Sitting around waiting for Apple to somehow fix what do you think is wrong with the camera instead of pursuing and looking at other options to turn your photography angst into joy is what should be taking place. In other words instead of complaining maybe you should educate yourself with other options.
It’s rude IMO to keep coming into this thread and admonishing people for “complaining” because they’re not following your (off-topic) advice. You have very accurately deduced that not everyone wants to shoot raw, and your insults will not likely motivate them to do do.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore

I beg to differ, the iPhone 13 Pro Max is a huge improvement for me, coming from the iPhone 12, and I almost never edit my photos or shoot in ProRaw.

Biggest noticeable upgrade in camera quality in a single generation yet!

Love the versatility of the camera array, so many choices and ways to capture the moment.

Favourite upgrade for me is the bigger sensor and brighter lens for the main wide camera. Love that natural shallow depth of field, absolutely amazing considering this is a phone camera.

atari4

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2019
I beg to differ, the iPhone 13 Pro Max is a huge improvement for me, coming from the iPhone 12, and I almost never edit my photos or shoot in ProRaw.

Biggest noticeable upgrade in camera quality in a single generation yet!

Love the versatility of the camera array, so many choices and ways to capture the moment.

Favourite upgrade for me is the bigger sensor and brighter lens for the main wide camera. Love that natural shallow depth of field, absolutely amazing considering this is a phone camera.
ooook, just read the topic first, regards

PCW007

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2022
After reading through all 60 some pages of posts over time and using my 13 ProX for some time I’ve found that using that using the Halide app gives me more consistent results than the the stock Apple software. I’ll probably give the Moment app a try at some point just to try something new.

i’m a casual snapper of pics, and yes, I do expect the camera to to compose a somewhat accurate representation of what I’m looking at on a consistent basis with the lens that I choose. The Apple software on this phone is is unable to do that. I have no interest in messing with settings, shooting pro-raw and then the required editing. Some might say that then I deserve what I get, however that is not what Apple suggests with their advertising. I expected that the camera would perform capably at the basic level, and produce even more stellar results for those that wish to use it with its full manual setting capabilities. Silly me!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JM

atari4

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2019
After reading through all 60 some pages of posts over time and using my 13 ProX for some time I’ve found that using that using the Halide app gives me more consistent results than the the stock Apple software. I’ll probably give the Moment app a try at some point just to try something new.

i’m a casual snapper of pics, and yes, I do expect the camera to to compose a somewhat accurate representation of what I’m looking at on a consistent basis with the lens that I choose. The Apple software on this phone is is unable to do that. I have no interest in messing with settings, shooting pro-raw and then the required editing. Some might say that then I deserve what I get, however that is not what Apple suggests with their advertising. I expected that the camera would perform capably at the basic level, and produce even more stellar results for those that wish to use it with its full manual setting capabilities. Silly me!

New account, 1 post?? LOL

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
It’s rude IMO to keep coming into this thread and admonishing people for “complaining” because they’re not following your (off-topic) advice. You have very accurately deduced that not everyone wants to shoot raw, and your insults will not likely motivate them to do do.
My off topic advice is supposed to introduce new info and ideas, if you don’t follow or pursue the info provided then you aren’t willing to try and that’s on you. That’s how I feel about it. Why not try new apps and focus on getting better photos? What’s wrong with that? I definitely don’t like remaining stagnant and settling for only one camera format / option or for just raising the camera and just pressing the button… Do you know how many people I talk to about the iPhone camera that have no idea how to properly use it? More than I can count.

If you don’t like the performance of the iPhone 13 pro camera, then why not move on to another model or manufacturer? Blaming Apple isn’t going to help or make things better. You are in control of your iPhone camera, so control it and make it work better for you! If you are one that just takes a few photos here and there, then the jpeg quality definitely should not bother you. You’ve seen my photos and how great they look, quality like that will not come from a jpeg. You can get really close to raw quality from a jpeg only if the camera is set properly before the shot. Settings that include ISO, exposure, focus, etc.

Question: did you buy the iPhone 13 pro model specifically for the camera only to get dissatisfied by its performance because you’re a professional or seasoned photographer and felt it was subpar? If you aren’t a seasoned or pro photographer then why do you care what the iPhone camera quality is like, especially if you don’t edit and push it to its limits? You probably should just be thinking… well it’s a phone camera, not a DSLR and not be concerned about the quality of jpeg it puts out. Y’all are acting like professional photographers and getting disappointed over image quality when most of you probably aren’t pros. Because if you were, then you would not be shooting jpeg unless the shot is random and unworthy of an edit or you have mastered the Jpeg format. “I want perfection from my iPhone camera with no extra effort on my end!” That’s what comes to mind when I read a lot of these posts. Don’t say that I am rude as recompense for your imagined slights! (Thor quote). That’s all I have to say… learning more about photography and the iPhone camera will boost your confidence and your photography will greatly improve and hopefully bring more joy to you as you plan your shots…or just continue to blame Apple and complain, but hopefully you won’t.

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
For unknown reasons, it seems really hard to understand that the issue isn't that much the camera quality than the awful AI post process.
Correct.
The hardware is fine. But I have no idea why Apple feel they have to mess around with our photos. At least give us the option to turn it off!

Anyway. I have started using 3rd Party apps and happy with the results.

Reactions: thv and RobertoDLV

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It really isn't that complicated. Apple told me that the 13 was the best camera in an iPhone ever. The photos were worse than my X. I solved my problem by sending back the 13 and getting a refurb 11pro. I am happy.
And at the end I think they were not telling any lies. I think (subjectively) that the camera is the best in an iPhone ever… it is the Apple imposed post-processing that is the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.