Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pet3rK

macrumors member
May 7, 2023
For all the talk of CAD as a measuring stick here then I'm just getting against cross platform compatibility. I guess gatekeeping the software I will use for Mac and Linux is a good idea. I guess I won't need to convince certain people to offer compatibilities for Windows.

Pet3rK

macrumors member
May 7, 2023
I graduated from University of Sydney as Electrical Engineer and I used a Windows PC for everything related. The 11” MacBook Air I had was just insufficient to do tasks efficiently. Underpowered hardware and small screen. Amazing to take to school for taking notes however, and had battery to last while using computers in uni libraries. What a time.
Will Mac continue its own niche in the decade ahead? Or will they branch out into something more? Who knows. What I do know is Windows still provides the best compatibility in terms of software support. You certainly can get away without using a PC (depending on your needs), but if there’s a platform you can rely on that catches almost every need you can think of, Windows still wins the race By a large margin.
My needs is underserved by Windows and can't be relied on since the probability of a software being incompatible is too high and headache to fret over. The course I will take prefers to get a MacBook or a Linux machine.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
I have been retired for 4 years, but the programs I used as a chemical engineer were written for windows. If I were working as a graphics designer it is possible that programs would be written for Mac. To me, which system you use should be determined by which system programs your profession uses are written for.

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
My needs is underserved by Windows and can't be relied on since the probability of a software being incompatible is too high and headache to fret over. The course I will take prefers to get a MacBook or a Linux machine.
I’m curious what STEM programs you need that are only available/compatible on MacOS?

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife went through stem in college and works on a stem related career in her graduate degree (gets her PhD in less than a month).

A lot of people in her current lab use MacBooks but they have a Windows PC in the lab to run Windows apps. Neither were required and she had the option of buying either. I noticed the a majority of the professors / students at her university use Mac.

Biology.

Last edited:

Pet3rK

macrumors member
May 7, 2023
I’m curious what STEM programs you need that are only available/compatible on MacOS?
Astronomy. My professors all use macOS as their work computer and the remaining Windows laptop is relegated to administrative and simple tasks. I said about probability of incompatibilities.

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
Astronomy. My professors all use macOS as their work computer and the remaining Windows laptop is relegated to administrative and simple tasks. I said about probability of incompatibilities.
you don't have to go into detail if you don't want, but that doesn't really answer my question. Astronomy is a field, not a software package. I'm trying to understand what STEM software exists for MacOS but not PC/Linux. I don't think I've ever come across an example (indeed, I have had issues with unstable or non-existent ports of the software on Mac that I use for research over the years, hence the fact my lab runs on Linux and Windows support machines - BUT, I'm in a different field than you!)

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Then just use subsystem for linux. All good on Windows then. But what specifically are these astronomy programs that are mac/linux only?

I mean, I am trying to remember back, and I have found lots of windows only stuff for STEM, but no Mac/Linux (which also means UNIX) only?

Edited to add: A good example of this is freaking MS Excel. If you get into the engineering "weeds" enough, even Mac Excel is too different to work properly for certain statistical and engineering packages.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
you don't have to go into detail if you don't want, but that doesn't really answer my question. Astronomy is a field, not a software package. I'm trying to understand what STEM software exists for MacOS but not PC/Linux. I don't think I've ever come across an example (indeed, I have had issues with unstable or non-existent ports of the software on Mac that I use for research over the years, hence the fact my lab runs on Linux and Windows support machines - BUT, I'm in a different field than you!)
THIS. If anything, Mac always required a ton of workarounds when I was using it in STEM fields. This was 2000 to 2015 or so before I gave up and just used what was provided--I kept my mac for personal stuff only.

And most of the vendors I worked with that used macs, their IDEs where web only or they would connect to servers. So that makes sense. A setup like that is pretty client agnostic. (At least until you hit smart cards combined with Azure Virtual Desktop on Mac. Then you cry and sell your Mac--but that is a different issue).

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
THIS. If anything, Mac always required a ton of workarounds when I was using it in STEM fields. This was 2000 to 2015 or so before I gave up and just used what was provided--I kept my mac for personal stuff only.

And most of the vendors I worked with that used macs, their IDEs where web only or they would connect to servers. So that makes sense. A setup like that is pretty client agnostic. (At least until you hit smart cards combined with Azure Virtual Desktop on Mac. Then you cry and sell your Mac--but that is a different issue).
we're running out of shared computers as my lab grows, and I actually polled my group this last week if they want some Macs for the new lab machines, since many of them are Mac diehards and bring their own Macbooks to lab for their emailing, writing, etc - did not get a single vote in favor of it. My old advisor's lab ran entirely on Apple products and it was perfectly fine, we did all the contemporary stuff expected in our field - but we had to forego a number packages and use alternatives, or do work-arounds to run them. My lab on the other hand... we just install whatever we need and get our work done. It is what it is...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Any Thoughts or comments on the Forbes Article A STEM Degree Requires a Real PC see: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tirias...em-degree-requires-a-real-pc/?sh=50a0923378b8

This article states “While these Apple processors and PCs may be optimized for a wide variety of entertainment, productivity, and design applications, they are not optimized for many STEM applications. As I mentioned previously, it is difficult or sometimes impossible to run some STEM applications on x86-based laptops without a discrete GPU. It is even more of a challenge on a Mac because in my experience, the vast majority of STEM-oriented applications are written on and for x86-based PCs.

I strongly disagree. A SOC Mac is more than capable and in my experience superior. What a STEM student requires is a laptop that they can write and run Python (and possibly R), write and run MatLab (and possibly Mathematica) and spreadsheet with plotting. What a student does NOT need is to be battling an operating system, fighting with configuration management and constantly worrying about viruses, malware and ransomware. And a battery that last longer than 40 minutes, is really useful too.

Seems like the article’s authors [Falsely] believes student need a gaming machine to do STEM course work.

Any other thoughts?

It all depends on what you are doing...

If you are studying to be a machanical, Electrical or other engineer then you might be using CAD software that is Windows-Only. The high-end stuff tend to only run on Windows

Computer science magos likey could use anything but at some point many of them are going to need to have access to Linux. Tis could be done using a VM on macOS unless they are doing some kinds of AI that require a more powerfull computer and yu not want to tie-up you only computer with hours to days long runs

Math and biological science majors (who make up the vast majority of STEM students) could use anything. My daugher mostly uses her iPad but needs the macbook now and then

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
It has been on there for a while now. I used it a while back on a Mac.

AutoCAD for Mac Releases:

AutoCAD for Mac June 1992
AutoCAD for Mac R13
AutoCAD 2011 for Mac October 2010 (SledgeHammer)
AutoCAD 2012 for Mac August 2011 (Iron Maiden)
AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac August 2011 (Ferris)
AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac August 2012
AutoCAD 2013 for Mac March 2012 (Jaws)
AutoCAD LT 2014 for Mac
AutoCAD 2014 for Mac codename Sandstone
AutoCAD 2015 for Mac codename Lightsaber
AutoCAD 2016 for Mac codename Mandalore
AutoCAD 2017 for Mac codename Naboo
AutoCAD 2018 for Mac codename Obi-Wan Nov 2017
AutoCAD 2019 for Mac codename Padme
AutoCAD 2020 for Mac codename Qui-Gon
AutoCAD 2021 for Mac codenameRogue March 2020
AutoCAD 2022 for Mac codename Sequoia March 2021

Then how come I keep hearing engineers saying their software isn't on macOS because they keep complaining they can't make CAD models on Mac when I tell them how good the GPU in Apple Silicon is.

Pet3rK

macrumors member
May 7, 2023
I specifically said Mac and Linux. And those two are more common on my field to have developers compiled for both of them.

Then just use subsystem for linux. All good on Windows then. But what specifically are these astronomy programs that are mac/linux only?

I mean, I am trying to remember back, and I have found lots of windows only stuff for STEM, but no Mac/Linux (which also means UNIX) only?
Subsystem for Linux is so and so on support. They typically told you that it is on your own and things are only supported on Mac and Linux.

It depends on your field. You can search the internet on how various software and you can see the compatibilities in my field are majority Mac and Linux. It's rare for certain fields but on my field, it's not.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Then how come I keep hearing engineers saying their software isn't on macOS because they keep complaining they can't make CAD models on Mac when I tell them how good the GPU in Apple Silicon is.
autocad is but one of many cad/engineering programs
Its an extremely limited and outdated one based on original cad programs developed in the early days of the space race. A couple decades ago, when the sunset of Autodesks exclusive license was on the horizon, they realized they’d have to finally get off their butts, and bought some competitors & created parametric modelers, bim & plm software, created Inventor & Revit to try to compete with Dassault & Siemens in the modern Cad arena. When the core of Acad‘s ip entered public domain, Rhino and a spate of others rebodged it into their own cheap programs to hack AutoCADs market share off at the knees. Dassault even created its own version of Autocad called Draftsight and gave it away for free just to stick it to Autodesk. Compared to modern (post-2004) design software, Autocad is little more than an etch-a-sketch for technical writing and should have been laid to rest.

Thats not to say loads of companies don’t still use it, after all there are about 50 years of AEC projects in archives in autocad formats, so it’ll have relevance just for accessing that data forever. …but as stated previously here, I also see companies running WinXP yet, because their principal Architect or Engineering MGR is old and crotchety, proudly proclaiming “its never been a problem” or “if it aint broke dont fix it”. If they had any idea of how costly limiting their design capabilities, efficiencies & mfg processes to a static modeler like autocad actually is in 2010+, they’d realize why theykre stuck getting nickel & dimed making cheap basic parts & competing with china while their local competitors get the more complex (& profitable) work.

Reactions: EdwardC

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Its an extremely limited and outdated one based on original cad programs developed in the early days of the space race. A couple decades ago, when the sunset of Autodesks exclusive license was on the horizon, they realized they’d have to finally get off their butts, and bought some competitors & created parametric modelers, bim & plm software, created Inventor & Revit to try to compete with Dassault & Siemens in the modern Cad arena. When the core of Acad‘s ip entered public domain, Rhino and a spate of others rebodged it into their own cheap programs to hack AutoCADs market share off at the knees. Dassault even created its own version of Autocad called Draftsight and gave it away for free just to stick it to Autodesk. Compared to modern (post-2004) design software, Autocad is little more than an etch-a-sketch for technical writing and should have been laid to rest.

Thats not to say loads of companies don’t still use it, after all there are about 50 years of AEC projects in archives in autocad formats, so it’ll have relevance just for accessing that data forever. …but as stated previously here, I also see companies running WinXP yet, because their principal Architect or Engineering MGR is old and crotchety, proudly proclaiming “its never been a problem” or “if it aint broke dont fix it”. If they had any idea of how costly limiting their design capabilities, efficiencies & mfg processes to a static modeler like autocad actually is in 2010+, they’d realize why theykre stuck getting nickel & dimed making cheap basic parts & competing with china while their local competitors get the more complex (& profitable) work.
Draftsight is a product of ARES Commander by Greabert of Germany. They also provide the program Corel sells as Corel Cad. I personally like BricsCad. The Mac version is pretty close to its Windows counterpart.

Reactions: ThunderSkunk

tubuliferous

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
Most of the scientists I know use Macs almost exclusively. I guess if you wanted to train/run ML models locally, a discrete graphics card would be a benefit, but even that use case is becoming less limiting for Mac users as the major ML libraries are becoming more feature-complete on Apple Silicon GPUs.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I've seen Forbes articles trying to trash Apple many times before as well. In other forums, I've seen Apple haters always posting links to Forbes articles as a way to justify their point by leveraging Forbes's credibility. Not really sure what's going on at Forbes.

Edit:
A google search on the above topic revealed the same questions posted in Quora and Reddit as well:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/aavafw

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
I've seen Forbes articles trying to trash Apple many times before as well. In other forums, I've seen Apple haters always posting links to Forbes articles as a way to justify their point by leveraging Forbes's credibility. Not really sure what's going on at Forbes.
What's going on at Forbes is it's a trash website. They were also bought by a Chinese company: https://www.scmp.com/business/banki...c-agrees-acquire-forbes-publisher-deal-values

Any reputation they had before has died a terrible death.

Reactions: MacMan988
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.