Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MYZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
Hi everyone!

This is by far the strangest bug I've ever encountered in my 9 years of using a mac. And it's got me stumped.

After all, it doesn't seem like a system crash, of any kind, should be able to affect an external drive so dramatically. Especially when there was nothing even being written or read to the disk. It was only attached via an Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter and powered on.

(Additionally I have another SSD external drive attached as well that seems perfectly fine!)

The drive in question is an older Lacie 3TB desktop hard drive LAC9000302. It has 2 partitions, one a regular APFS (encrypted) storage and the other a regular Time Machine partition that's encrypted via the Time Machine app. I'm using the latest and greatest macbook pro 14 (base model) on the latest version of Monterrey.

The usual, restarts, relaunching Finder, etc... haven't flipped it back so I'm stick with a usable drive that seems to think it's read only, which I confirmed with Lacie's Toolkit utility, but still allows write after authentication with TouchID or a password.

So either I discovered an additional mode available with Lacie's external drives, read + authenticate-write?, that Lacie's own toolkit doesn't report correctly, or this is a multi-layered serious bug I've encountered.

Or perhaps both and it corrupted the drive firmware to unlock an otherwise unavailable mode?

Anyone ever encounter something like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: douscinco
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.