Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
iPhone X is like the perfect iPhone IMO. I usually upgrade every year but honestly, what could Apple do to make us upgrade next year?

Make it faster? I think I’ll be ok with this one when it comes to that.

So, my question is what can Apple do to make you upgrade next year?

Last edited:

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
iPhone X is like the perfect iPhone IMO. I usually upgrade every year but honestly, what could Apple do to make us upgrade next yea?

I was thinking the same. But I’m one who went from 6 to 6s plus to 7 to x.. there was little reason to upgrade the last 2 years but I did anyway. I’m sure they will come up with something to entice me. This phone is perfect for me though.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
only thing I can see making it more likely to want to upgrade is making a TRUE edge to edge screen. Atleast on the sides and bottom. More similar to the roll off on the S8. Do that on all 4 sides somehow, and that will be pure bliss!
Also find a way to get rid of camera bumps. Personally they annoy me greatly for some reason. I just want a nice slimline, flat on both sides type phone.
I cannot comment on the lack of touch ID yet, but maybe adding one on the back in a convenient location may be worth wild as well. I have never been a huge fan of touch id though.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Probably a more typical S update next year, along with an X plus.

I predict

-Gold color

-Faster FaceID

-Maybe persistent authentication. So if you hand your phone off to someone unlocked, it won't show your notifications to anyone but you

-More Ram, better chipset

-Better Waterproofing

-much better front camera that uses AI to fix selfie distortion

Reactions: MisterMillz

enfield

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
I would buy an update if they don't make the notch so obvious and in your face. I am 'one of those' who couldn't get over the notch and bought an 8 Plus.

I used an iPhone 6 for 3 years. I was all set for the X and then I just couldn't do it. I loved the size of the X that was slightly larger than my 6 with a bigger screen.

Lucky are those who either like the notch or can ignore it.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
There is no such thing as future proofing when every new flagship evolves and gets better, faster, and more refined. Tech doesn't stand still. We all could have said the same thing about the iPhone 4, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7 Plus, etc. Years later, now what do we say about them?

I want more interesting features, improve battery life, shorten the notch, a better display, and better camera especially the poor front one the 8 and X have, and 4 GB of RAM. Bring back Touch ID but put it on the Siri button like Sony does with the power button.

X isn't perfect. It's a tick model. That's like feeling drunk in a bar and finding every woman attractive and perfect.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
There is no perfect.

Future releases (ios 12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19....)will make the current latest and greatest and fastest, be a unacceptable slug. (Software bloat).

5g cellular, 6th g cellular,.....

Longer battery life, more resolution. better cameras, less weight, bigger screens, bluetooth 27.8, b , more ram, more storage, improved AR, improved VR, stereo cameras, greater range, additional cellular bands, faster hot spot, 600mhz band support (t-mobile users), change the shape, change screen ratio, 3d screen, smell-a-vision, ...........

Last edited:

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I would buy an update if they don't make the notch so obvious and in your face. I am 'one of those' who couldn't get over the notch and bought an 8 Plus.

I used an iPhone 6 for 3 years. I was all set for the X and then I just couldn't do it. I loved the size of the X that was slightly larger than my 6 with a bigger screen.

Lucky are those who either like the notch or can ignore it.
The notch is in an unusable section. It’s above the status bar of the old phones, which now makes that area of the old status bar usable. So no you don’t notice it. The complaints about it are overblown. Typical internet hyperbole. Just like Touch ID, and Face ID were and are when they were announced, everyone hated the idea until they actually tried it.

However if you like the + form factor you will not like the X. This is a replacement for the regular iPhone series. I’m sure Apple will release a + version next year for those that like that form factor. But the notch is a non issue. It doesn’t photograph well but in actual use it isn’t in the way.

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
They're probably just gonna reuse the same design for 4 years again, make it slightly faster and people will still upgrade...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mabus51

guywithdog

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
if the iPhone X is truly evolutionary in the compufone/smartphone industry; it should be able to ride on its laurels for 2 years; planned obsolesence is despised by Con$umers (as Apple is finding out w/ the whole battery throttling).

wouldn't it be Marketing Geniu$/(profitability) for Apple in 2018 if they released:

• iPhone X; same phonebrand new colors (gold and rose gold)
• iPhone X Plus; same 4 color options
• iPhone SE X (had to do it); the iconic iPhone 5 design with X guts in the 4 color options

they have a surviving winner design in the iPhone 5/SE; been around for 5+ years now. people of the general populace love the size and feel of the physical object while using it; it works for them ergonomically. (lets not forget the 5c came in 6 colors)...

color options work for Apple's ecosystem; matching iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, MB Pros, AirPods and Watches would probably $ell well for them; (they have the R&D for aluminum alloys and coloring them).

think back to iMac G3 ('98 - '02),... those were profitable years in form factors (and 13 color options) for consumers. '99 saw them introduce 5 new colors to the iMac, and more color options each year afterward.

the iBook G3 (Clamshell) introduced 5 color options in it's heyday of 2000.

the Lime Green one was only available online, so you had to be tech savvy back then to get one; Jobs himself identified people who were going to buy those ones as "more fun" during the keynote.

in '07 the iPod Nano was available in 5 colors.

by end of '08, the Nano was available in 9 colors... and to this day the iPod is still available in 6 colors.

companies like Colorware exist solely on Con$umers wanting color variety to their electronics, Apple themselves could capitalize on this by taking care of this internally.

for 2019, apple could update the internals of their 3 phones to make "Xi" versions, (I'd like to see seamless Touch ID under the screen) and introduce blue versions of iPads, MacBooks, MB Pros, AirPods and Watches... (car companies are making exclusive blue cars available for their most eco-friendly versions).

Reactions: s15119

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I’ll update when they come out with the next phone. Just like I’ve done every year since 2007.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I was thinking the same. But I’m one who went from 6 to 6s plus to 7 to x.. there was little reason to upgrade the last 2 years but I did anyway. I’m sure they will come up with something to entice me. This phone is perfect for me though.

^^^ This. It's only the perfect phone until you get new hardware envy next September.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Bring back touch-id. With no touch-id I will go Android.

Like always on Siri, I don't like the idea of face-id scanning and the sensor-bar notch just make it worse.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Bring back touch-id. With no touch-id I will go Android.

Like always on Siri, I don't like the idea of face-id scanning and the sensor-bar notch just make it worse.

I have no dog in this fight, but I think your future is Android, almost guaranteed. With almost no exceptions, tech transitions like this with Apple amount to an EOL for the old tech.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
So far I have 3 conditions that the new iphone will have to meet.

1, No notch.

2, The OLED screen technology has advanced enough so it doesn't give me headaches as I tend to be prone to that type of things. Worst case, I hope Apple continues to offer a LCD version.

3, My new iPhone 8 plus doesn't end up getting throttled within 3 years. I will do my own due diligence in researching before upgrading but if my iPhone 8 plus doesn't offer at least 3 years of good performance it just means the minefield set by Apple is too much for my use case and I will be better served by a mid tier Android phone.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
iPhone X is like the perfect iPhone IMO. I usually upgrade every year but honestly, what could Apple do to make us upgrade next year?

Increase the high end storage to 512 gb - most important, superb battery life, more RAM and waterproof, not water resistance.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Yep. Vastly better battery life is hard to take a downgrade on. The X battery life numbers so far aren’t appealing to this Plus owner. I simply don’t have to worry about charging it and o don’t want that worry back.
My 8 plus gets only a little more than my wife’s X

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Next year will be an ‘s’ cycle for the X. Not sure if they will offer a home button/touchid option but the regular X will be very similar. Enhanced faceid, processors, colors maybe, it will still have the notch. Anybody hoping for notch removal is in a pipe dream. And they will introduce a plus version.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I have no dog in this fight, but I think your future is Android, almost guaranteed. With almost no exceptions, tech transitions like this with Apple amount to an EOL for the old tech.
Yes I am sure it is. I must vote with my wallet. Just disappointed in Apple. Coming from HTC One I have been annoyed by my screen on 6s and want a bigger screen, so been looking forward to next design change. Apple's Innovations are often not for the better. Which has also taught me, to love my Macbook Air 11" after Macbook 12" "innovations" was clear.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
iPhone X is like the perfect iPhone IMO. I usually upgrade every year but honestly, what could Apple do to make us upgrade next year? So, my question is what can Apple do to make you upgrade next year?
  1. Make a new one.
  2. If the insides are able to be shrunk any at all, do not- I repeat- DO NOT fill the newfound space with more battery. Instead, thin the phone and claim "same great battery life" at the big reveal. "Thinner" must always trump consumer utility. We can save 8 cents by using a little less metal in each unit vs. losing 8 cents by filling that new space with a little more battery.
  3. Leak it in rumors that it has something- anything- that this one does not. If that something-anything is something competitor phones already have, change the name of it. If it's something that is a fairly established standard, alter it in some way so it can become a proprietary feature only available from Apple.
  4. Leak some rumors that whatever that something-anything is will be hard to make in sufficient volume. Thus, spin expectations of shortages at launch.
  5. Leak a $500 price hike as the new price and let the anger/frustration propagate, while the key "Apple is always right" group works overtime (for free) spinning rationalizations- real or invented spin- to try to rationalize that higher price if it is THE price.
  6. Big reveal event proclaiming it to be "best iPhone ever" announcing price a little short of the rumor, resulting in a collective exhale and price hike acceptance since it's not as much of a hike as rumored.
  7. On launch day, take all the "Shut up and take my money" cash & credit starting at the wee hours of the morning, when people have interrupted their sleep desperately trying to be among the first to be in the que to get one.
  8. Be slow to grant licenses for #3 so that for the first 2-3 months, only Apple can supply the desirable proprietary accessory. Charge accordingly. Then, make licensing expensive so that competitors with approved licenses can't readily undercut the Apple pricing by much. Regularly nullify the unlicensed knockoffs, even if they are identical for a fraction of the price.
Bonus enthusiasm if there is SOME- any- visual difference to it so the "I need others to be able to see that I have the latest & greatest" crowd can feed. If there is no tangible external change, roll out a new color(s) with a fancy name(s).

Extra bonus if any new change can drive add-on sales of a dongle or some other accessory so we can drive up average annual transaction-per-customer. If we have nothing on this, what could we kick out of the phone to then offer as an add-on accessory?

Stand by while unpaid zealots on sites go on and on and on about how great the "something-anything" is... probably with some "how did we ever get by without this something-anything?" sprinkled into every thread.

Let anyone question the actual usability/desirability of the something-anything and 10 guys will tear into them like they've called their baby ugly, then make up any and all rationale- valid or only spin- to try to sell others into buying one too (because Apple desperately, DESPERATELY needs our help to sell these things, even if we have to make stuff up to try to fool our fellow consumers into buying one).

Put all this on a shelf for a while, then repeat beginning about 5 months into the next year.

Works every time! "$2XX Billion in the bank can't be wrong" and "...but who makes the most profitable smart phone?"

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yes I am sure it is. I must vote with my wallet. Just disappointed in Apple. Coming from HTC One I have been annoyed by my screen on 6s and want a bigger screen, so been looking forward to next design change. Apple's Innovations are often not for the better. Which has also taught me, to love my Macbook Air 11" after Macbook 12" "innovations" was clear.

Yeah, the retina MacBook is a great example of the one-track mind that knows better than the customer what the customer needs, even if the customer doesn't want it. ;) There's a lot to like about Apple products, but this mindset drives me nuts. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.