Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I don't hate Apple at all. I own several of their products and will buy more in the future. With that said, I like trying other products as well. Compare the iPhone 6+ and the LG G3 dimensions and you will see why I will stick with the G3!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I don't hate Apple at all. I own several of their products and will buy more in the future. With that said, I like trying other products as well. Compare the iPhone 6+ and the LG G3 dimensions and you will see why I will stick with the G3!

The G3 is amazing, heck last years G2 soundly trounces the iPhone 6 plus. If it had a stylus I'd get the G3 over the Note 4.

orangextc

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
I'm heavily considering upgrading to a nexus phone instead of the iPhone 6. Canadian cellphone plans have been getting progressively worse. I've got a pretty good retention plan from 3 years ago, so the only way for me to keep it is to buy a phone outright.

The nexus 5 is pretty much half the price of the iPhone 6, although I may miss a few ecosystem features from Apple, I'd miss my wireless plan even more and I'd save money on both the nexus and retaining my old plan.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I know this is discussed a lot but what are the real reasons some people using android hate apple and their products so much. They say it's overpriced but a lot of androids are more expensive than iphone and isn't it just a matter of personal preference? What is it they hate so much?

Whilst I don't consider all Apple products overpriced (I think value for money on the Macbook Air is excellent, for example), some of their pricing policies are undeniably infuriating. e.g., $100 to increase storage on an iPad by 16GB, and $30-$50 for some of the official cables and adapters is just ridiculous and Apple deserves to be criticised for these practices.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I know this is discussed a lot but what are the real reasons some people using android hate apple and their products so much. They say it's overpriced but a lot of androids are more expensive than iphone and isn't it just a matter of personal preference? What is it they hate so much?

Apple makes many products that are so well engineered to work with the user, it's very personal. When somebody attacks a member or your family, you lash back and to many, their Apple product is just that.

While people should not have warm and fuzzy feelings for their technological toys, many do and it may be traced to that cute little smiling Mac face in the old operating system. It's cute and personal and really great marketing.

The very personal nature of Apple products have made a legion of people who take it too far and have formed a kind of modern cult. It passes over into cult status when a person loves their product, but so much that they start thinking everything else is crap. A rational person can see that their iPhone is a great product but can also see that the Samsung is also a great product.

For whatever reason, there are far too few rational people who love Apple and they go beyond fan boy into the realms of cult followers. I love my Apple products and resent others from calling me a member of a cult, but too many Apple fans don't help on this observation. I do my best to avoid Apple cult freaks and can simply enjoy Apple and their products without having to try and convert anybody. If any particular Apple product is worthy enough to make people switch, I will let the product speak for itself. I don't have to criticize Samsung to make my iPhone appear useful.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I generally don't hate Apple. Did they ever try to hurt us in anyway. Did Tim Cook put a gun to our heads and demanded money from us? Apple makes great products. Hate is a strong word. Dislike? Yes. Sometimes.

I dislike that Apple fans are blind, sometimes shallow, and think Apple is great at everything they do.

I dislike that Apple sues everyone and thinks they invented everything and that everyone copies them.

I dislike that Apple is very restrictive and elitist at times.

When Apple comes up with a stylus for their phablet, fans will proclaim how revolutionary they are. It seems a bit too hypocritical.

American media outlets protects them just like the Korean media and reviewers can't say anything negative about Samsung. That is why neither Apple and Samsung are my favorite brands.

I'm actually more interested in the smaller players like Xiaomi, Oppo/OnePlus, Asus, Acer, Huawei, and even Lenovo. Chinese or Taiwanese brands generally unknown to the US market. There is even another upcoming Chinese brand in IUNI which is releasing a flagship for only $320 with killer specs. Even the Meizu MX4 looks quite interesting. I just wished more of these rising Chinese tech companies start expanding outside their home country. I am also waiting if Japanese conglomerate Sony can finally get their act together and make a dramatic comeback in the tech wars. Sony is what Apple and Samsung were inspiring to be like back then. Now the old master is dying and its students became the new sensei for TV's and portable tech.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I know this is discussed a lot but what are the real reasons some people using android hate apple and their products so much.

No hate here. I actually love Apple as a company and how they do things. Wonderful marketing, solid products and a really great community of users that love the brand and products. Reality is most any company in the world would love to copy that mojo.

They say it's overpriced but a lot of androids are more expensive than iphone and isn't it just a matter of personal preference? What is it they hate so much?

To me it's not about price; it's value. Apple charges a premium because they can, but also because they should. Top brands and products as I described above have that right and should. It's part of the cache that they have. Look at Mercedes. Even the entry level car isn't cheap and quickly rises above $40k when even mildly equipped. No one wants a cheap Benz. The iP5c proved simliar with their phones.

That said, IMO, the Note series offered me way more value and features. I like having the ability to do the many, many things the Note series offers over my ability and capability with Apple's iPhone. Just the same, yes I paid for that. Not much more really, but still more.

I think the hate comes when Apple tries to use their Brand and image to compete where they can't. Users here do it for them. I'm sorry, as much as I love what Hyundai is doing in the marketplace, their finest cars do not equal a Mercedes.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
I generally don't hate Apple. Did they ever try to hurt us in anyway. Did Tim Cook put a gun to our heads and demanded money from us? Apple makes great products. Hate is a strong word. Dislike? Yes. Sometimes.

I dislike that Apple fans are blind, sometimes shallow, and think Apple is great at everything they do.

I dislike that Apple sues everyone and thinks they invented everything and that everyone copies them.

When Apple comes up with a stylus for their phablet, fans will proclaim how revolutionary they are. It seems a bit too hypocritical.

American media outlets protects them just like the Korean media and reviewers can't say anything negative about Samsung. That is why neither Apple and Samsung are my favorite brands.

I'm actually more interested in the smaller players like Xiaomi, Oppo/OnePlus, Asus, Acer, Huawei, and even Lenovo. Chinese or Taiwanese brands generally unknown to the US market. There is even another upcoming Chinese brand in IUNI which is releasing a flagship for only $320 with killer specs. Even the Meizu MX4 looks quite interesting. I just wished more of these rising Chinese tech companies start expanding outside their home country. I am also waiting if Japanese conglomerate Sony can finally get their act together and make a dramatic comeback in the tech wars. Sony is what Apple and Samsung were inspiring to be like back then. Now the old master is dying and its students became the new sensei for TV's and portable tech.
This.
Nothing to add.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

What he said ^^^^

Xiaomi, if they choose to could be a big player in the US market as well.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Real question is ...... when did criticism equal hate?

It is quite easy to discern between criticism and hate on this forum, trust me .... On others forums (take a look at gsmarena or pocketnow for example) there is true hate against Apple. Why ? I don't know. What I know for sure is I'm not going to join a Samsung based forum just to criticize Samsung, even if I don't like the Korean company very much.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It is quite easy to discern between criticism and hate on this forum, trust me .... On others forums (take a look at gsmarena or pocketnow for example) there is true hate against Apple. Why ? I don't know. What I know for sure is I'm not going to join a Samsung based forum just to criticize Samsung, even if I don't like the Korean company very much.

Or maybe hardcore Apple fans are way more sensitive than hardcore Android fans. Plenty of the Android forum users on other sites are insanely critical towards Android devices. The iPhone/iOS is not getting picked on. True Android nuts are brutal in their criticism about everything, regardless of brand or OS. True iPhone fans seem to have a more accepting attitude about Apple's shortcomings and just look at it as a trade off, but get too sensitive when others criticize harshly.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Apple makes many products that are so well engineered to work with the user, it's very personal. When somebody attacks a member or your family, you lash back and to many, their Apple product is just that.

No disrespect intended, but this is a bit scary. I don't think I've ever personalized an inanimate object as a member of my family, especially a cell phone. But I'm glad you posted that because it gives me some understanding into the thought processes.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Or maybe hardcore Apple fans are way more sensitive than hardcore Android fans. Plenty of the Android forum users on other sites are insanely critical towards Android devices. The iPhone/iOS is not getting picked on. True Android nuts are brutal in their criticism about everything, regardless of brand or OS. True iPhone fans seem to have a more accepting attitude about Apple's shortcomings and just look at it as a trade off, but get too sensitive when others criticize harshly.

Maybe because that "shortcomings", if any, really are nothing more than trade offs for an overall satisfying experience

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Maybe because that "shortcomings", if any, really are nothing more than trade offs for an overall satisfying experience

I never had a general bad overall experience on iOS or Android. Doesn't mean I won't compare.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

Cringeworthy generalization and stereotyping.

Only really went after Samsung...for obvious reasons.

Another stereotype or rather...head-scratching confirmation bias.

Responses in bold.

Me thinks you're just seeing what you want to see.

There are rational and irrational people on both sides.

Just like with Playstation/Xbox/PC or with PC/Mac or with Porsche/Ferrari/Lamborghini or whatever else has a perceived rivalry.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

I don't see any problem with Apple Mac users coming on here to discuss their computers, and then airing their views on the rest of Apple. I also don't know any Samsung forums that cover all their products under one site?

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
No disrespect intended, but this is a bit scary. I don't think I've ever personalized an inanimate object as a member of my family, especially a cell phone. But I'm glad you posted that because it gives me some understanding into the thought processes.

This is scary and I can't believe how many Apple fans I meet who have this type of relationship with their products. When SJ was alive they talked about him as if they knew him intimately, like he was their best friend.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
This is scary and I can't believe how many Apple fans I meet who have this type of relationship with their products. When SJ was alive they talked about him as if they knew him intimately, like he was their best friend.

I saw that too and it's definitely one of the weirder things I have seen.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I saw that too and it's definitely one of the weirder things I have seen.

Though I don't consider myself a part of a cult and just merely admire Apple, there are far too many unreasonable cult like Apple followers. I have seen actual cult members of religious cults act more reasonably than some strong headed Apple fanboyz.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2009
You cannot dispute that Apple makes GREAT products.. They do..

I have always disliked companies that go out of their way to nickel and dime customers on proprietary items. I hated Sony for their memory stick and umd format etc. Apple has their lightening charger and memory surcharges.

Its the nickel and diming that leave customers resentful.

Personally im all for new tech thats proprietary if it really adds a large benefit over its competitor.

Look at the apple watch.. Can't have QI charging... Must have the mag charger that you can only get from apple. Lol

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I don't hate Apple. I really like their hardware, but absolutely can't stand their software. I want complete control over the operating system and want to be able to see the code running in it. I don't like not being able to change everything as I see fit. Over all, I get the feeling that Apple assumes their users are idiots, and that irritates me.

I use Android because it comes the closest to this ideal among smartphone operating systems at the moment, but I'm not a big fan of Android either and have many of the same criticisms of it.

Usually people come to apple because android software is too confusing.

I honestly think that android is not aesthetically pleasing to look at and can be confusing at times.

At least samsung phones (touchwiz) have too much going on. To many toggles and look at the task bar my friend sent me. She said she has no idea what half of those notifications are.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410761060.550038.jpg

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
The comments on the first page of this thread sum it up perfectly why people hate Apple and its fans.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1778933/

This site posts the story to entice a flame war, and the comentors love it, verge on racism in some cases because Samsung is Asian, and they fully believe Apple has invented things like finger print scanners?

Even people at work have been gloating about buying the iPhone 6 in some sort of superior elitist attitude, woinder how long it will be before someone shoves it in my face proclaiming how its soi clever Apples invented mobile payments :rolleyes:

Yes, it's definitely this whole arrogant hypocritical elitist attitude displayed by Apple and its fans that makes people hate them.

Qwestionable

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
The comments on the first page of this thread sum it up perfectly why people hate Apple and its fans.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1778933/

This site posts the story to entice a flame war, and the comentors love it, verge on racism in some cases because Samsung is Asian, and they fully believe Apple has invented things like finger print scanners?

Even people at work have been gloating about buying the iPhone 6 in some sort of superior elitist attitude, woinder how long it will be before someone shoves it in my face proclaiming how its soi clever Apples invented mobile payments :rolleyes:

Yes, it's definitely this whole arrogant hypocritical elitist attitude displayed by Apple and its fans that makes people hate them.

Well, I found it to be pretty note worthy. In the US alone, that commercial aired multiple times per football game, all day on CBS, Fox, and NBC. The commercial the first time was interesting, but about the 12th time you could sense that they were just whining.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Well, I found it to be pretty note worthy. In the US alone, that commercial aired multiple times per football game, all day on CBS, Fox, and NBC. The commercial the first time was interesting, but about the 12th time you could sense that they were just whining.

I wasn't talking about the advert, just the elitist arrogant comments on the story Mac Rumours obviously posted to entice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.