Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Just ordered that new Batman game for PS4, ordered on disc because I'm not sure if I'll like it or not. Only played a bit of Asylum and whilst it was good it didn't keep my attention. Haven't played the others. But something in Arkham Knight looks good to me; the 50's architecture, the rain. Looks like a brilliant setting.
You should give Asylum a chance... I bought it on sale after it was released as GOTY. Asylum is what got me hooked on the series. I bought City and Origin... both at GOTY prices. Loved them all.

Arkham Knight was the first Batman game I bought at full price. Downloaded last night at the time of release... and never got to play it. Issue was I bought it on Steam for my PC... and I've never seen a port this bad. I also installed NVidia's latest driver with Arkham Knight profile. PC reviews pretty much sums up how bad the port is. More then 50% gave it a thumbs down on Steam, and a score of 1.4 in metacritic.com.

Pretty sad... played all the previous Batman games on PC... and they all ran at high fps on ultra settings. Arkham Knight ran like a slide show... LOL. Luckily... I was able to take advantage of Steam's new refund policy. Refund was issued... and it was a painless process. I am going to wait for the GOTY release on PC... but I might buy it for the PS4 or Xbox one since my kid wants to play on console.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I enjoyed both Asylum and City. Stayed away from Origins cause I read that it focuses more on action/combat and less on stealth than the other titles. I really love the stealthy "being the predator lurking in the shadows" style gameplay of the first two games, and I didn't like the forced mass brawls. The combat system works, but doesn't really do it for me.

Curious to hear where Arkham Knight fits in with this! :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I played and finished them all - indeed arkhan City alone on 3 different formats.

Origins wasn't that much different to Arkham City but it made some really bad design choices.

It's opening location was a mess and didn't introduce you to the city very well which was alarming as it basically is Arkham City and yet despite finishing it 3 times - origins opening made it feel totally alien.

The other issue with origin wasn't combat, you actually could be stealthy if you wanted to - the mechanics were there. But issue was story and villains which just didn't feel as fleshed out as the previous two games and even the side missions just felt grafted rather than naturally rooted as in Arkham City

If Arkham Asylum was 8/10 - City was a 9.5/10 then Orgins was a 7/10 with moments of approaching an 8....,

Hopefully when I get to play Knight it is back to a 9-9.5

m.x

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
Not really a gaming purchase, but I got the Yarn Yoshi Amiibos in Germany one day earlier. Normally I am not a huge fan of the amiibo concept, but they are soooooo awesome! I went to many different stores to get them, and the last one had them. I am 22 years old, but when I got to the checkout I felt like a child again, so happy that I got them!

IMG_0002.jpg

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I went more old school.

With having one when I was growing up, I was ecstatic to see them re-released by Mattel on the PS2. But since the backwards compatibility went away with recent versions of the PS3, I wasn't able to play them again. But late last year, The Intellivision Flashback was released, in the form of the original Intellivision gaming console. Coincidentally, Atari Flashback, ColecoVision Flashback, and Sega Genesis Flashback have all been released as well, in their original game console forms. Each one of these has 60 games each on them, all from the original lineup that came in the 80s and 90s.

While seeing some of these is a trip down memory lane, it does give you an appreciation for how games have progressed, as well as a (IMHO, much needed) respite from the FPS and blood/gore genre. With the exception of sports games and the occasional racing game, most games nowadays, while really detailed, are really dark. These show that simpler/retro is just as good.

Obligatory INTV quote:

Intellivision - Still blocky after all these years.

Available wherever memories are sold.

BL.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I went more old school.

With having one when I was growing up, I was ecstatic to see them re-released by Mattel on the PS2. But since the backwards compatibility went away with recent versions of the PS3, I wasn't able to play them again. But late last year, The Intellivision Flashback was released, in the form of the original Intellivision gaming console. Coincidentally, Atari Flashback, ColecoVision Flashback, and Sega Genesis Flashback have all been released as well, in their original game console forms. Each one of these has 60 games each on them, all from the original lineup that came in the 80s and 90s.

While seeing some of these is a trip down memory lane, it does give you an appreciation for how games have progressed, as well as a (IMHO, much needed) respite from the FPS and blood/gore genre. With the exception of sports games and the occasional racing game, most games nowadays, while really detailed, are really dark. These show that simpler/retro is just as good.

Obligatory INTV quote:

Available wherever memories are sold.

BL.
Oh God intellivision... I feel soooo old now :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not really a gaming purchase, but I got the Yarn Yoshi Amiibos in Germany one day earlier. Normally I am not a huge fan of the amiibo concept, but they are soooooo awesome! I went to many different stores to get them, and the last one had them. I am 22 years old, but when I got to the checkout I felt like a child again, so happy that I got them!

View attachment 564160
The only amibos in tempted to buy - look so cool. My Yoshi amibo pack shipped today :)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
So do these have a chip inside? If yes, could it be easily removed? I'd love to have one for a baby/child but not with a chip and whatnot inside. Blasphemy!! :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So do these have a chip inside? If yes, could it be easily removed? I'd love to have one for a baby/child but not with a chip and whatnot inside. Blasphemy!! :D
There's a chip inside but it's got some kind of tough plate around the chip part. But I reckon they'll be chip-less clones popping up on sites like Etsy soon!

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Ordered Spec Ops: The Line for X360. Don't need it yet, still 6+ games to go in my backlog, but I did need to get to $35+ for Free Super Saver Shipping on my order. Good enough reason plus it's one of the games I've been wanting to play once I DO get through my backlog. :)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Bought Dragon Age Inquisition for PS4 on Ebay for €17. To my surprise it arrived in its original shrink wrapping - brand new, never played! :)

I was going to play the previous two Dragon Age games first...then realized I simply don't have as much time to game anymore, and I would never get around to Inquisition. So I skipped the other two after all.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bought Dragon Age Inquisition for PS4 on Ebay for €17. To my surprise it arrived in its original shrink wrapping - brand new, never played! :)

I was going to play the previous two Dragon Age games first...then realized I simply don't have as much time to game anymore, and I would never get around to Inquisition. So I skipped the other two after all.

Loved Dragon Age, Inquisition invested over 200 + hours on my PS4 & XBO playthroughs.

Be patient with it, as it's such a big game it does take a while to get levelled up and into the first areas before it snaps into place, and having no knowledge of previous games makes no real difference.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I had to take advantage of that PSN flash sale so I purchase Borderlands: The Handsome Jack Collection.

I must say I'm impressed with the upgrade to 60fps 1080p on the PS4. The game is a bore alone but awesome with friends.

Bless

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
Oh God intellivision... I feel soooo old now :)

Same here. That was our first console. Lots of memories playing Astrosmash, Lock-N-Chase, Tennis and Baseball when I was a kid. I was about to buy an Intellivision Flashback for my parents not too long ago (they used the Intellivision more than I did as I was quite young at the time) but was bummed when I saw it didn't include their favorite game, Lock-N-Chase. My Mother was always playing that game.

Reactions: MRU

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Local retailer is doing another "3 for 2" deal. Bastages sure know how to get inside my wallet! :mad:

Looking at the Uncharted Collection Special Edition and The new Transformers game. Both are total fan service items. :D Now what should the third game be? I'm seriously considering throwing Tony Hawk 5 in there, so round up the nostalgia package! (And yes, I have read the reviews! :D)

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Got the Uncharted Collection and Transformers Devastation (huuuge fan of old school Transformers, grew up on those cartoons in the 80's!). Couldn't bring myself to buy Tony Hawk. The "3 for 2" deal included movies, so my wife picked out True Detective season 1 for the third item. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.