Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
BookBook and Mini keyboard cover?

Thanks for posting this; the Zagg does look lovely (and I am impressed by the idea of the backlit keyboard feature - it is one of the things I love on my MBA) - but, for now, I am perfectly happy with my Logitech UltraThin iPad Mini keyboard.

One thing that you mentioned, however, prompted me to reply, and it is this: I don't use the Logitech keyboard as a 'cover' for the iPad - although, when closed, they match up perfectly. Instead, I bought a BookBook leather cover, designed for the iPad mini - they are really very attractive - and that is what I use for the iPad mini. Both the mini and its keyboard live very happily in the exquisite BookBook leather cover, which protects them both nicely.

Do you have a pic of how the iPad mini, the BookBook and keyboard cover fit all together? Does your Book Book have a frame or does it just have the adhesive on the back? I have a DoDo case which has a frame, but won't fit the keyboard too. Maybe the BookBook has a wider and thicker spine that will accommodate the keyboard too....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you have a pic of how the iPad mini, the BookBook and keyboard cover fit all together? Does your Book Book have a frame or does it just have the adhesive on the back? I have a DoDo case which has a frame, but won't fit the keyboard too. Maybe the BookBook has a wider and thicker spine that will accommodate the keyboard too....

I don't have a digital camera, and have no idea whatsoever of how to operate one, so I can't post a picture.

The BookBook (the company is called Twelve South, but either can be googled) is a zipped cover, made of leather, designed to look like an old, rather battered and much loved book of the sort your grandfather, or, great-grandfather, might have had on his shelves.

So, it is as though you put the iPad (along, in this instance, with its Logitech keyboard which is attached by a magnetic hinge, and snaps together like a clam shell phone) into a solid old leather bound book, of the sort that used to be available in the 19th century.

It looks lovely and protects it perfectly well. Now, in addition to having the BookBook cover, (and Logitech keyboard, which does protect one side of the iPad), iPad, Logitech and BookBook tend to travel almost everywhere in my briefcase.

I have also bought a BookBook cover for my CTO 13" MBA (which wasn't ready before I had to return abroad to work). Thus, as I bought an 11" MBA (refurb) as I needed a MBA at short notice, I hadn't time to order a BookBook cover for that, as well, but shall do so whenever I am next home.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
iPad mini keyboard cover saga goes on.

It will pair up just like any Bluetooth accessory. It just does not close up nicely together due the differences in size. I used my Zagg Pro plus for the full sized iPad until I found the keyboard that works for me at the moment. The mini will even fit into the slot, but it tilts back at a lower angle since the groove is designed to fit the the full sized iPad.

I am waiting for my order from Zagg for the smaller backlit keyboard cover.

So when the new Zagg keys folio and keyboard cover were released, I ordered a silver keyboard cover. I receive a white folio cover instead and called Zagg to let them know they sent the wrong item. I told them I was familiar with their line and I specifically selected the silver one, so a supervisor agreed to send me a paid postage label and send me a silver keyboard cover. They said it would not be shipped until August 7th as they were backordered. I sent the white folio cover back.

I was notified a week ago, that a new replacement was sent out well before the August send estimate and received the keyboard cover today. When trying to insert the mini, I find that the hinge is warped in the middle and when I extend the hinge out, the mini just pops out of the hinge. I also notice that the package with the stick on feet only has one stick on. So I am wondering if they sent me a keyboard cover that was defective to boot. Zagg, are you reading???

Will stick with my $27.00 Mini Suit Chrome keyboard at this point thank you!

Christiaans

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
So when the new Zagg keys folio and keyboard cover were released, I ordered a silver keyboard cover. I receive a white folio cover instead and called Zagg to let them know they sent the wrong item. I told them I was familiar with their line and I specifically selected the silver one, so a supervisor agreed to send me a paid postage label and send me a silver keyboard cover. They said it would not be shipped until August 7th as they were backordered. I sent the white folio cover back.

I was notified a week ago, that a new replacement was sent out well before the August send estimate and received the keyboard cover today. When trying to insert the mini, I find that the hinge is warped in the middle and when I extend the hinge out, the mini just pops out of the hinge. I also notice that the package with the stick on feet only has one stick on. So I am wondering if they sent me a keyboard cover that was defective to boot. Zagg, are you reading???

Will stick with my $27.00 Mini Suit Chrome keyboard at this point thank you!

Can you post some pictures of the Mini Suit Chrome keyboard?

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I must say I'm pretty interested in this keyboard:

LINK

It looks awesome and Zagg makes some pretty nice keyboards...

just got this and man i love it. ipad comes out easy if you want it to but will not falll out, it also automatically turns off the ipad when closed and the battery last months. i have another keyboard lying around but i dont even use it

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Have both, returned the Zagg

It's junk - Don't waste your money. Doesn't hold the Mini very well. Get a Zagg.

The Mini Suit holds my iPad mini just fine, it's a fine $23.00 "piece of junk", LOL. I have been using it until the biggies (Zagg, Logitech and Belkin) released their keyboard covers (not folios).

I have returned the Zagg for an exchange in hopes it was a manufacturer's defect as it would not hold onto the my iPad Mini. It would just loose its grip and "pop" out gradually.

----------

Currently my backup keyboard until Zagg sends a replacement keyboard cover.

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
just got this and man i love it. ipad comes out easy if you want it to but will not falll out, it also automatically turns off the ipad when closed and the battery last months. i have another keyboard lying around but i dont even use it

Nice! Did you get the cover or the folio? Hate to have the naked back side of my device? Not very fond of scratches

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I got the zagg cover for my mini. It is a really nice, but there are some oddities to it. One thing is, like the other person here, I have also noticed that the ipad sort of slowly works its way out of the cradle at times. Not only that, it does not play well with screen shields. I have a zagg invisible shield hd on my ipad mini and where it sits in the cradle the pressure that it creates there causes bubbles in the shield. I really like the backlit keys though and also like the keypad itself. I don't think I will be able to keep it though as the bubbling of the screenshield is just not acceptable to me.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Do you happen to use a screen shield on the mini with the zagg folio? And if so, which one? I am wondering if other screen shields would work better (ie not bubble up) than the zagg invisibleshield hd.

No, I do not use a screen shield on any of my iDevices. Sorry.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Zagg backlit Keyboard cover for the iPad mini

Sounds like I am not the only one that has this problem. I too will be returning the second Zagg because the hinge won't hang onto the the mini. I did not even charge it up as if it does not work to properly attach itself, it is pretty useless as a keyboard cover. I was hoping the first one was a defect, I think it has an overall design defect in that anyone using a screen protector will not be able to use it.

On my little "piece of junk" that another poster referred to the Mini Suit that some others and I have, it has more of a tabbed clamp that does not at all interfere with the long side of the bezel and holds the iPad securely in. It has an okay typing experience, still make lots of mistakes on it, but was acceptable as an interim device and does not have the range of opening that the Zagg purports to have.

So back to the more upscale keyboard covers, can I get some feedback on the type experience of the Logitech Ultrathin and and Belkin Fast Fit keyboards? Mostly am interested in issues with the keyboard layout.

Thanks!

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Has anyone tried the Luvvitt keyboard for ipad mini? It is backlit like the zaggkeys one. Very similar style to the Logitech. I got good reviews from laptop magazine. I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon to try out, just curious if anyone else has it.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
Sounds like I am not the only one that has this problem. I too will be returning the second Zagg because the hinge won't hang onto the the mini. I did not even charge it up as if it does not work to properly attach itself, it is pretty useless as a keyboard cover. I was hoping the first one was a defect, I think it has an overall design defect in that anyone using a screen protector will not be able to use it.

On my little "piece of junk" that another poster referred to the Mini Suit that some others and I have, it has more of a tabbed clamp that does not at all interfere with the long side of the bezel and holds the iPad securely in. It has an okay typing experience, still make lots of mistakes on it, but was acceptable as an interim device and does not have the range of opening that the Zagg purports to have.

So back to the more upscale keyboard covers, can I get some feedback on the type experience of the Logitech Ultrathin and and Belkin Fast Fit keyboards? Mostly am interested in issues with the keyboard layout.

Thanks!

The Logitech Ultrathin felt a lot more cramped for me. I prefer the Zagg Folio layout over the Logitech one. Buttons seems to be slightly bigger than the Ultrathin keyboard too. I made far less typos on the Zagg than on the Logitech keyboard,

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Looking for just a keyboard cover, not a case, this one a little too pink for my liking, but thanks anyway!

If u are looking just for a cover, I would highly recommend the logitech one that a lot of others on here recommend. Very nice quality, works well. Just doesn't have back-lit keys which is a bummer for me as I like to type at night in my bed, haha.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Belkin FastFit

Ordered this, nice fit and finish, I really like the clasp. They did a lot of weird things compressing punctuation keys to the point that you also make a lot of letter strike mistakes too.

So I have tried 2 "higher end" keyboard units and have not tried the Logitech. I had issues with the full size one holding the weight of my iPad 2 and use the Zagg Keyboard Pro Plus which I am reasonably satisfied with.

For now I will stick to my little "cheapie" keyboard by Mini Suit and use a larger keyboard like my larger Zagg.

I am hoping with the release of the thinner and lighter full sized iPad, that the manufacturers will do a better job of designing keyboard covers.

Love the mini, but I think the challenges of shoe horning a full sized keyboard into may be impossible. Maybe that is one of the many reasons netbooks were such a failure.

unstates

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
I am currently using this bluetooth keyboard[/URL], it works fine.
qq_20130320151234.png

But i am still wonder that is there any laser keyboard for ipad, that would be awesome!!

Last edited:

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Looks like the Mini Suit

I am currently using this bluetooth keyboard, it works fine. Image

But i am still wonder that is there any laser keyboard for ipad, that would be awesome!!

This the one I have, would like for the screen to have greater range of motion in tilting the screen back, sits at almost a 90 degree angle. For me this of all keyboard covers expensive and not expensive works the best for me now, I'd give it a 4/5 stars.

Sharkk has just released a backlit keyboard which am sure will give Zagg a run for their money at around $33.00 at Amazon. And yes I ordered it. Will provide feedback on it when received.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.