Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Sharkk iPad mini backlit keyboard cover

Overview - This is a $34.00 backlit keyboard cover that has a magnetic hinge much like the Logitech keyboard cover. I only found it in the slate color, but it is the thinnest and lightest one I have tried. It is made of aluminum and feels lighter than other ones I have tested. It also seems to have little magnets in the groove that holds the iPad.

Backlighting - this like Zagg has 6 backlight colors, blue, light blue/torquise, green, red and white with 2 levels of brightness or off.

Battery - Lithium ion, charges with a standard USB, has a 100 hour standby and 60 hour operating life before it needs to be recharged.

The viewing angle is fairly upright, and the groove is shallow, but as mentioned before, secures with small magnets. It is not as upright as the MiniSuit which I purchased and was the next best keyboard. Thickness wise, it has the slimmest form factor, maybe not as thin as the Logitech.

I think this keyboard beats all that I have tried including the new Zagg and the Belkin FastFit and will really give them a run for their money. With the exception of some of the punctuation locations, the typing experience seems to be superior, and I have ordered and sent back a at least five keyboard covers, including the biggies (Zagg and Belkin). I tend to quote a lot and those are where the key locations are different.

My only question of Sharkk is did they release this in two colors? I ordered the only one I found and it is the slate color of the darker iPad mini. I have kept a MiniSuit keyboard that has a clip style hinge in the aluminum color, so now I have one in each color. My next mini will probably be the slate aluminum anyway.

I recommend this highly and think my search has ended for the ideal keyboard cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Blue...unction/dp/tech-data/B00DZTVST0/ref=de_a_smtd

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I must say I'm pretty interested in this keyboard:

LINK

It looks awesome and Zagg makes some pretty nice keyboards...

Just got this a week ago and my god... This makes a world of difference and I type almost as fast here as I do on a full size keyboard - only with a fraction more errors (but that's basically because our Danish ÆØÅ is not a part of the layout, so those keys are a bit smaller)...

Highly highly recommendable and the backlit is awesome...!

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I've been contemplating a keyboard for my mini for a while, and appreciate the info people have posted here. But, I finally decided on a stand-alone bt keyboard for the following reasons:

1. I don't need the keyboard with me 24/7.

2. I already have a case/cover that works well. Many keyboards only act as a cover, leaving the back unprotected, while the full case-type tend to be quite bulky.

3. If/when I switch to an iPad of different form factor, a stand-alone kb won't be obsolete.

2. Now I can get something a little larger than my mini for better typing.

So, for a whopping $20, I just ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLSEER8/

It's still plenty small (and very thin), and so will fit in a bag quite easily. It also comes in a version with backlighting, but that one has a "hump" on the back for the battery, power switch AND status lights (what good are status lights on the bottom of your keyboard???). Still, might be of interest to some.

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Zagg keyboard

Another thumbs up here for the zagg ProFolio case for the mini. I too have one and love the keyboard. The key feel is great no problems in typing. I loved it so much I got a Zagg Keyboard folio for my iPad 3, I only wish they made the hinged one for the bigger ipads but either of them I find great for typing on.

unstates

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
I've been contemplating a keyboard for my mini for a while, and appreciate the info people have posted here. But, I finally decided on a stand-alone bt keyboard for the following reasons:

1. I don't need the keyboard with me 24/7.

2. I already have a case/cover that works well. Many keyboards only act as a cover, leaving the back unprotected, while the full case-type tend to be quite bulky.

3. If/when I switch to an iPad of different form factor, a stand-alone kb won't be obsolete.

2. Now I can get something a little larger than my mini for better typing.

So, for a whopping $20, I just ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLSEER8/

looks pretty large, not convenient to carry it

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I am contemplating buying an iPad mini (I already have a MBA) and am looking at keyboards to accompany it as I need to write a lot.

A colleague recently showed me (and highly recommended) his Logitech keyboard for the iPad mini, which had a reassuringly solid feel to it.

Cost is not really an issue, but I want something solid, well-build, easy to use and utterly reliable. As always, I am very grateful for any advise and would like to thank anyone who takes the time and trouble to post an answer.

Based on your description, I would include the ClamCase pro as a possible option. Nice construction, decent typing feel, and protective. One of the main reasons I went with this is that the angle of the screen is essentially infinately adjustable, which is nice to control reflections and glare. (mini review a few threads down the page)

vinothk

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
I am contemplating buying an iPad mini (I already have a MBA) and am looking at keyboards to accompany it as I need to write a lot.

A colleague recently showed me (and highly recommended) his Logitech keyboard for the iPad mini, which had a reassuringly solid feel to it.

Cost is not really an issue, but I want something solid, well-build, easy to use and utterly reliable. As always, I am very grateful for any advise and would like to thank anyone who takes the time and trouble to post an answer.

I found a very good keyboard case for iPad Mini.It connect with your i through bluetooth which is availablein single button control.It can be roteted to 360 degrees which is useful for using the ipad in different positions(landscape/portrait).
It is perfectly fits with the ipad and it is water and dust proof.It comes in different colours(wonder is all the colors are looking great!!!).Last but not least it gives a great and luxury look for our luxury i !!!. Go for it ...
http://www.idevicegadget.com/10013

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.