Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I've had this stupid red pin on Maps on my phone for a very long time and I can not remove it. I have looked on and off for over a year and I can not figure out at all how to remove it.

I attached a screen shot and you can see the red dot on the map above my current location. This pin is always there no mater what. When I touch the pin I have no option to remove it like every other pin I place on the map.

I do not know how the pin got there. It's not in my contacts or messages, not that it should matter because only this pin shows.

Does anyone know how to remove this pin that gives me no option of removing it?

Attachments

• IMG_0966.PNG
    IMG_0966.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,740

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I've had this stupid red pin on Maps on my phone for a very long time and I can not remove it. I have looked on and off for over a year and I can not figure out at all how to remove it.

I attached a screen shot and you can see the red dot on the map above my current location. This pin is always there no mater what. When I touch the pin I have no option to remove it like every other pin I place on the map.

I do not know how the pin got there. It's not in my contacts or messages, not that it should matter because only this pin shows.

Does anyone know how to remove this pin that gives me no option of removing it?

Can you tap on the pin and then take a screenshot?

It is most likely saved as a favorite or in another group in My Places. If so, just go into that group and swipe left on the location to bring up the "remove" option.

It may still show up on the map, but then just tap on it and untap and it will dissappear.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Can you tap on the pin and then take a screenshot?

It is most likely saved as a favorite or in another group in My Places. If so, just go into that group and swipe left on the location to bring up the "remove" option.

It may still show up on the map, but then just tap on it and untap and it will dissappear.

Thanks for the reply, but it's not in a favorite. I don't have any favorites in maps.
[automerge]1574180990[/automerge]
I want to add the pin has nothing to do with Siri Suggestions or Frequent locations. I have turned both off and the pin stays.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Thanks for the reply, but it's not in a favorite. I don't have any favorites in maps.
[automerge]1574180990[/automerge]
I want to add the pin has nothing to do with Siri Suggestions or Frequent locations. I have turned both off and the pin stays.

So...tap on the pin, screenshot, please share.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Interesting...so, the fact that it states the "place" and not just the address, it seems to have been "selected" and saved somewhere.

"Health Office" brought up in search doesn't even bring that up as a location, so logic says it was pinned and saved with that name manually.

I know you wouldn't want to share your main map page, but I would go there and click on "see all" under favorites to double check and then click on "see all" next to Collections below that and see if it's there.

That's all I can think of....or do you share your iCloud with someone else? Not sure if locations are even shared if iCloud is shared since I only have one device currently.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Here is a screen shot of my main maps page. I only have my home saved under favorites, there are Siri suggestions for other addresses but none are that address. It makes no sense to me, I don't get it. I do not share my iCloud with someone else. I have never been to that location.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.PNG
    IMG_0968.PNG
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 920

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Here is a screen shot of my main maps page. I only have my home saved under favorites, there are Siri suggestions for other addresses but none are that address. It makes no sense to me, I don't get it. I do not share my iCloud with someone else. I have never been to that location.

D'oh!

Hard restart (that's my default answer for everything)

And if that doesn't work, you can delete the app and re-add it. Shouldn't be a big deal since you don't have anything really saved on there.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
D'oh!

And if that doesn't work, you can delete the app and re-add it. Shouldn't be a big deal since you don't have anything really saved on there.
So you want OP to delete MAPS?!?!? Great solution, not!

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
D'oh!

Unfortunately a hard reset and deleting maps does nothing, once you open maps again it gets this location from somewhere and re adds it to the map.

I have been trying to figure this out for over a year now. Thanks for your help tho.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
What happens when you click on the “X” next to the address? Does the info just close or does that get rid of the pin?

The info window just closes. It baffles me that there is no message or indicator of where this pin in saved.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Or try adding to your favorites or a collection. Then you can go into that area and swipe left on it to delete it.

If I add it to favorites and then delete it from favorites it's still there :(

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
If I add it to favorites and then delete it from favorites it's still there :(

At this point, I say drive there and see what the hell is going on. There must be a treasure of some sort. My parents live about 15 minutes from there...I can have my Dad check it out if you like.:p

Reactions: Monque

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
At this point, I say drive there and see what the hell is going on. There must be a treasure of some sort. My parents live about 15 minutes from there...I can have my Dad check it out if you like.:p

Well that is quite the coincidence :):cool:

It look like its just Health Dept. or series of doctors offices for the area. I think I have to call Apple and maybe its stored with in iCloud somewhere. Just odd there is no button to remove it.

jhuynh

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services -> Significant Locations. Does it show up there? You should be able to remove it if it does show up there.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
On map screen - if you select See All next to favorites does it show up as one of the favorites?

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
It does seem to be a Siri suggestion. Maybe try disabling Siri suggestions for the maps app and see if it goes away.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
It does seem to be a Siri suggestion. Maybe try disabling Siri suggestions for the maps app and see if it goes away.

It is not a Siri Suggestion. Turning them off had no effect tried that in a previous reply.
[automerge]1574262315[/automerge]
On map screen - if you select See All next to favorites does it show up as one of the favorites?

Nothing under favorites at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.