Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Excuse me? It’s an app like any other. And I did say to re-add it. What do you think would happen??
I believe ”deleting” a native app is really just hiding it. No data is lost or deleted. When you reinstall, it just resets itself with whatever previous data was stored. It gets it off your home screen but I don’t think anything else is done, unlike 3rd party apps.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I believe ”deleting” a native app is really just hiding it. No data is lost or deleted. When you reinstall, it just resets itself with whatever previous data was stored. It gets it off your home screen but I don’t think anything else is done, unlike 3rd party apps.

Gotcha...yes...I was assuming it is like 3rd party apps.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Suggestion - go to Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage -> Find the Maps app and select Delete App. This will delete all data associated with it. See if that helps.

Not the same as deleting the app from the home screen.

Reactions: MozMan68

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not the same as deleting the app from the home screen.
Fairly sure it's the same thing, especially given that deleting an app from the home screen gives you a warning that the data associated with it will be deleted as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is not a Siri Suggestion. Turning them off had no effect tried that in a previous reply.
[automerge]1574262315[/automerge]

Nothing under favorites at all.
Have you also looked into what was suggested in another post:
Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services -> Significant Locations. Does it show up there? You should be able to remove it if it does show up there.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Have a look at this thread on the Apple forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250651941

This particular post sounds promising:

I think any old pins transferred to the new iOS have lost remove functionality.

Fix I found worked for me:

Add the pin as a favourite under a new collection.
Create a name for the list (will delete later so doesn’t matter what it is).
Add all pins you want to delete at the same time under that list.
Swipe up to reveal the list and swipe left to delete the list you added them
all in.
Pins should now have disappeared on your map.

You will have to do this for every old pin you want to delete if not deleting them all at the same time.

Hope this helps!

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
That’s what I told him to do up above and he said it didn’t work...but maybe he didn’t name it? I can’t see why that won’t work.
Yep...maybe it’s one of those where you need to follow the steps exactly. :)

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I find that if I move the lower part of the screen with the "collections" on it - the red pins show up and I can swipe to delete them as well as old searches

rgl7194

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
I had the same issue today. In my case, the dropped pin could not be removed directly - no way to delete it. However, it did show up in a guide in the section titled My Guides. I didn't put it there, so it must have happened automatically. Anyway, I edited the guide, and was able to delete the dropped pin from there. Hope this helps anyone else having the same issue.

mikerstrong

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
I'm sure this was solved a long time ago - but I had the same problem with an old Macbook. Similar to earlier reply - but 1 step more. Tap on red pin - address comes up in address bar - tap on x and the pin is removed.

Terabushi

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
I know this is a really old post but I had this issue and just figured out how to get rid of the Red Dot.

Step 1: Tap the red dot and tap the Save to...

Step 2: Tap New Guide...

Step 3: Name the location whatever (it's about to be deleted)

Step 4: Name the Guide (again, will be deleted)

Step 5: X out of the location and swipe up on the Maps control screen. Below Favorites you will see My Guides. Swipe your new guide to the right and delete it.

If you have multiple dots with this, you can actually add them all to this and delete in one action. Hope this helps.

Reactions: liudasbar123

Chef Feste

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
I've had this stupid red pin on Maps on my phone for a very long time and I can not remove it. I have looked on and off for over a year and I can not figure out at all how to remove it.

I attached a screen shot and you can see the red dot on the map above my current location. This pin is always there no mater what. When I touch the pin I have no option to remove it like every other pin I place on the map.

I do not know how the pin got there. It's not in my contacts or messages, not that it should matter because only this pin shows.

Does anyone know how to remove this pin that gives me no option of removing it?
I had the same exact annoying pin stuck on my maps... But figured out how to get rid of the little bastard. Go into settings....Maps...Siri and Search, And unselect all the siri options under the in maps section. Do a restart and thats what solved the issue for me :)

paigemariek

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2021
I've had this stupid red pin on Maps on my phone for a very long time and I can not remove it. I have looked on and off for over a year and I can not figure out at all how to remove it.

I attached a screen shot and you can see the red dot on the map above my current location. This pin is always there no mater what. When I touch the pin I have no option to remove it like every other pin I place on the map.

I do not know how the pin got there. It's not in my contacts or messages, not that it should matter because only this pin shows.

Does anyone know how to remove this pin that gives me no option of removing it?
Did you try adding the location to your favorites then removing it? That's what worked for me. Or searching the address separately, favoriting it, then removing it?

liudasbar123

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2020
I know this is a really old post but I had this issue and just figured out how to get rid of the Red Dot.

Step 1: Tap the red dot and tap the Save to...

Step 2: Tap New Guide...

Step 3: Name the location whatever (it's about to be deleted)

Step 4: Name the Guide (again, will be deleted)

Step 5: X out of the location and swipe up on the Maps control screen. Below Favorites you will see My Guides. Swipe your new guide to the right and delete it.

If you have multiple dots with this, you can actually add them all to this and delete in one action. Hope this helps.
This helped me on iOS 15

8mrg81

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
LoL I am still having a magical dropped pin which shows up in both, ios maps and macos maps.
Tried adding it to the new guides but after removing the guide, the dropped pin stays.
The funny thing is that when I try to navigate to it, it magically teleports 0.5 miles to the west (but comes back to original spot after stopping the navigation).
The dropped pin has a name on it "Work" so I must have added it at some point (perhaps many years ago). I don't have a work address in my contact info yet. I have nothing in favorites.
Drives me insane :D I don't want to go to apple store because I can't remove a freaking red pin from maps :)

Edit: I think it teleports because the dropped pin in address field has only the zip code and even still has coordinates, the navigation is using the zip code which on its own refers to that exact location.

edit2: I found that in my contacts, there was my work email address, and it had a siri suggested location (it said "found in mail" … hmmm). I clicked "don't suggest this address for this contact" and location from the contact was gone … but pin on the map stayed
APPPPLEEEEEE you are killing me sometimes :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.