Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bikertwin

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
This Old House
How about less 'chunky'?

A redesign would be a good thing, especially for the displays.

Apple has such cutting edge designs, but the displays are way too chunky. Look at the sleek enclosure on, say, NEC LCD monitors, or even Apple's own PowerBooks. Then compare that to the Several-inch thick edge on Apple's monitors and they look ridiculous. Apple's 20" monitor is way too big with that chunky edge.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
I think it would be awesome if they moved the PowerMac line to all-aluminum, to maintain the aluminum=Pro / white=Consumer.

An aluminum and chrome tower done apple-style would seriously rock. I somehow don't think the displays will be updated, though. It's only been a few months since the intro of the 20". I think the current line-up will be around at least a year longer.

Of course, newer, sleeker monitors are always good:D

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by JesseJames
You know what would be wild? If the exterior of the case could catch light like CD-ROMs do. Wouldn't that look wild under display lights in a sea of bland boxes?
that would be neat in the store, and then annoying as hell when you took it home.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Although I love my MDD tower, it's been 4&1/2 years since a total redesign. Bring it on! And please Apple, put some ports in the front (with a closable lid -ala the Ti-for those who don't like the look of them.) And given the need for USB devices, some of which require a direct connection to the tower (both my Soundsticks and iMic--what am I supposed to do, not use a keyboard or mouse) how about 4 in front and 4 in back?

freundt

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Seattle
hmmm.....

well, it seems like Apple is sitting on a lot of product announcements right now (if all the current rumors are true ;) ).

I wonder if they are going to do a big, giant, stupendous unveiling of a re-vamped, re-designed lineup of both pro and consumer (including i-pod) machines.

Steve loves the big bang....

f

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Yes. A major overhaul of the design is need. Although the line still looks sharper than anything out there today, it would be nice to say out with the old, and in with the new!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: hmmm.....

Originally posted by freundt
well, it seems like Apple is sitting on a lot of product announcements right now (if all the current rumors are true ;) ).

I wonder if they are going to do a big, giant, stupendous unveiling of a re-vamped, re-designed lineup of both pro and consumer (including i-pod) machines.

Steve loves the big bang....

f
i doubt it will be all at once, but it may be like january again in a few weeks. remember when they were releasing something new literally every tuesday? on the other hand, i wouldn't peg a new case design to come out till the 970s do... part of that "shock and awe" thing or whatever.

friction3000

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2003
i'd like to see...

i hope the new case is super-functional, like the current one was when it came out (that big, easy-opening side door still rules). Cool looking, but functional first.

here are things i'd like to see, just in general:

- ports in front! or somewhere much easier to access.

- tons, tons, tons of bays. if i want 4 superdrives and 4 hard drives, let me have 'em.

- side- or rack-mountable! actually, this is very possible with the current ones, but it could be better supported. what if the new ones could stand or lay comfortably on their side? and still use the CD/DVD drives? (mount all the drives diagonally?)

- super-easy access, just like before... but even easier...

- super quiet.

- no ugly drive door like last year's revision...

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Come on!

This is total non-rumor from LoopRumors. A major redesign for such a major release is obvious.

Macwhispers has been reporting on new differently shaped motherboard for the 970 Powermac for weeks now.

Come on, LoopRumors! At least speculate, or give us your release date prediction!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
What would be even more awesome would be if Apple offered a consumer tower, basic box for $800 or so...
that would be a blessing fraught with consequence. i would expect that to really mess up a lot of apple's product line, as far as profits and things go.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
i dunno, maybe it's just me, but this isn't much of a rumor at all. i mean seriously... if they're gonna bring out the 970 like everyone seems to think they are (keeping fingers crossed... i think it's gonna happen), i really don't see any reason why they wouldn't change the case. it's like a no brainer. hmm. macrumors... maccommonsense...?

eh, not to get down on anything. just in one of my moods. what would be nice though, would be to see some think secret's 'artist renditioning' of a new case, so we could have something to talk about...

matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.