Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Please leave on the Handles!

I think at first the case would look ugly, but then grow on us. I thought at first that the eMac and MMD PowerMac cases were ugly.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Yes, I love the handles. It makes it so easy to take the tower off my desk where there is room, then put it on the floor when I install something. Makes me feel much more secure holding it that way than if I tried to grad that quite heavy machine.

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I don't care what the case looks like i just want ONE freegan thing. FRONT PORTS! I am getting fed up with apple's inability to do common sense things.. (i.e. a one button mouse? come on get real).. but in environments where comps are placed in cubby holes such as a lot of class rooms its is nearly impossible to get to the back to plug in a firewire drive.. and usually if you want to plug in something USB it needs more power than what the keyboards extra port can offer.. this would be beneficial for everyone.. and if it makes the case look ugly so be it.. cover it up with a door that opens and closes or something .. please apple pelaseeeeee.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Use the USB ports on your monitor or get a hub! I'd like to see a sleeker tower. If you want more drives, peripherals... that is what firewire is for. I personally aviod internal drives like CD-R/W because often enough I can get a much faster one or updated drive more easily than replacing the internal drive.

Another way to look at it, if Apple can make more efficient cases, maybe they could pass some savings onto us!

think outside the box.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
i tend to agree ther aren't going to make room for more than 4 HDs, 2 ODs. FW800 is more than fast enough to handle that. there will be a big time redesign for the 970's, not before. i think there might be one last revision of G4's before we go 970, but then again selling redesigns may be a nice way to boost sales on those lame-duck machines.

i dunno. it's be apple. it'll be sweet. they do need to erase the memory of the MDD G4 tower, though.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Not much to go on but more than loop rumors, but of course we have to bare in mind that macwhispers has a far from proven record (has anything came true from them yet, guess we'll have to wait for the next round to see if that tablet type thing and spliter cable etc come out).

From what it does say it sounds promising. All aluminium would probably look a bit too PeeCee like, just a square box with little intrest - but I could even be convinced that way as i like minimilist design. This only mentions plastic for the rest though, no colour, my guess is white. so what can we guess so far from various mac whisper things.

PowerMac 970

- aluminium front panel
- plastic for the rest? (possibly white?)
- thinner and longer than current (going by the motherboard size)
- smooth and uncluttered look (guess then no front ports, posibble hidden drive bays or slot loading?)

anything else I've missed?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Some ideas for 970 PowerMacs

The QuickSilvers were the best looking of the current Powermacs and I hope that the re-design will take its style from that. I would like the main body of the computer to remain raised but I hope the mono speakers are taken out for good. I also think that an external USB modem can take care of 56kbs connections so there is no good reason to have them internal any longer. The four hard-drive bays may be over-kill for most people, especially since there are 500 GB drives on the market. The reset button should make a return to the front, where the headphone port should remain. Front USB ports look ugly so they should remain at the back, only in greater numbers (16 USB ports would be nice). Considering that 17" PowerBooks have lights under the keyboard I expect something similar for the 970 PowerMacs.

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Quicksilver

I hope that Apple shifts back more toward the look of the Quicksilver. The turbo vent/mirror look doesn't do it for me.

Another nice additive would be a unit without a fan. (Back to the cube?)

Originally posted by Sedulous
Use the USB ports on your monitor or get a hub! I'd like to see a sleeker tower. If you want more drives, peripherals... that is what firewire is for. I personally aviod internal drives like CD-R/W because often enough I can get a much faster one or updated drive more easily than replacing the internal drive.

Another way to look at it, if Apple can make more efficient cases, maybe they could pass some savings onto us!

think outside the box.

One of Apple's problems is that they've tended to put form before functionality, giving us boxes with limited upgradeability and awkwardness in use, but with style.

There should be some usb & firewire ports on either the front or side near the front. That's an ergonomic given & from there they should work to make them look good. Also keep some in the back for more permanent peripherals like printers.

I think you're nuts about avoiding internals. I got my first internal CDRW for $60 & it works great. The less you can keep outside the box, the better.

I was never a big fan of the handles. Even if I moved my tower once a week, they're neither a smart, nor practical design solution. Pop-up handles like the cube had would offer a cleaner approach, though I'm not sure any handles are necessary for a tower. Minimalism has its limits though, and it's the design details and flourishes that ultimately set a box apart. Anybody can reduce a design to a sleek aluminum box, it's giving it character AND class which is the challenge.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple design either a wall-mounted box or one that is recessed between studs in a wall, with wireless keyboard, mouse and monitor... - j

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Redesigned PowerMacs

If true, this might mean a total change from what we know the PowerMac to be today.

For example, they may want to change from the "G" nomenclature, as they will be using 970's anyway.

They may also change the name "PowerMac." The "Power" in PowerMac stands for PowerPC, so that may remain, but it's been a mainstay since the days of the 601 or 602 I believe. Less likely, but possible.

It also stands to reason that they would change the look of the "PowerMac" case... but I doubt they'd mess with the easy door-swing feature. It's such a nice feature that no one else has.

This June is going to be awesome. I really can't wait. Even if the announcement is only to some NDA guys, which I don't think will be the case, it's a monumental step forward.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
4 FireWire ports

Originally posted by Wonder Boy
I'll probably get whatever design the 970 is in, but what will solidify my purchase is 4 firewire ports.

In that case, invest in a FireWire card.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I'd like Apple to make a case that could easily be placed in a rack. I agree with Frobozz with the handles. Once my computer is placed under the desk in a rack, I hardly ever move it. The only time is to add an upgrade of somesort.

It would be nice to have ports in the front. USB, Firewire, Audio, and some flash card slots. All types of flash memory cards. I'd like a see through panel too, but it's not necessary.

One last thing. It would be great if they could make it easy to add an internal hard drive like the xServe. Just open a compartment and slide the drive in.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by pgwalsh
I'd like Apple to make a case that could easily be placed in a rack. I agree with Frobozz with the handles. Once my computer is placed under the desk in a rack, I hardly ever move it. The only time is to add an upgrade of somesort.

It would be nice to have ports in the front. USB, Firewire, Audio, and some flash card slots. All types of flash memory cards. I'd like a see through panel too, but it's not necessary.

One last thing. It would be great if they could make it easy to add an internal hard drive like the xServe. Just open a compartment and slide the drive in.
i agree too that the handles are pointless and not very good looking, but i think it would be dumb for them to make another rack-optimized mac. almost no one puts computers in racks, except people with servers. the idea is cool, but very few people do it. that said, though, there are powermac racks around... just not space-efficient lol :D

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i agree too that the handles are pointless and not very good looking, but i think it would be dumb for them to make another rack-optimized mac. almost no one puts computers in racks, except people with servers. the idea is cool, but very few people do it. that said, though, there are powermac racks around... just not space-efficient lol :D
I just want the case design so it can easliy be put in a rack. It doesn't have to look like a regular rack chasis. Just a thought, but if you have a music studio or any type of studio putting something in a closed rack helps reduce noise and it looks good. I know I could go with Marathon, but the solutions they offer are rather pricey.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by pgwalsh
I just want the case design so it can easliy be put in a rack. It doesn't have to look like a regular rack chasis. Just a thought, but if you have a music studio or any type of studio putting something in a closed rack helps reduce noise and it looks good. I know I could go with Marathon, but the solutions they offer are rather pricey.
maybe apple will hear your plea and put some good FW ports on the front of the XServe and you can just go that route, lol.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Want it on a rack? Get an X-Serve!

All these people asking for a rack-mountable PowerMac would be better off getting an X-Serve. Basically the X-Serve is a PowerMac in a rack-mountable body, with all the same ports that the PowerMac has.

As for the handles, I love them and hope that Apple keeps them in the new design. Handles make it easy to lift the computer and they also raise the body several millimeters from the floor so that air underneath can keep the hard drives cool (and more resistant to shocks).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.