Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Just when people are recovering from SW Jedi: Survivor here comes another rushed AAA PC title, costing $70...

Gamers: SW Jedi Survivor is bad.
Redfall: Hold my beer!

and before you say those are just "stupid" Steam reviewers here are some real reviews:

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Just when people are recovering from SW Jedi: Survivor here comes another rushed AAA PC title, costing $70...

Gamers: SW Jedi Survivor is bad.
Redfall: Hold my beer!

and before you say those are just "stupid" Steam reviewers here are some real reviews:

Two different issues. SWJS is a good game with technical issues. Redfall is a bad game with no(fewer?) technical issues. Or at least that is what I am hearing online. It is a shame too, because folks raved about Deathloop, and it does have me a bit worried about Starfield (I know different studio) and Avowed.

Reactions: Huntn and Homy

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Two different issues. SWJS is a good game with technical issues. Redfall is a bad game with no(fewer?) technical issues. Or at least that is what I am hearing online. It is a shame too, because folks raved about Deathloop, and it does have me a bit worried about Starfield (I know different studio) and Avowed.

I know but so much for the hype and joy of day-and-date release...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I know but so much for the hype and joy of day-and-date release...
Apple folks would still like to be on the hype train versus letting the game die and possible be abandoned (and thus never get a port at all). No?

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Redfall is a bad game with no(fewer?) technical issues. Or at least that is what I am hearing online. It is a shame too, because folks raved about Deathloop, and it does have me a bit worried about Starfield (I know different studio) and Avowed.
It is a bad game indeed. For me personally I could say the same about Deathloop or even Prey for that matter. But hey, at least it's an option and people might buy and enjoy it. I'm certainly not, but I appreciate that games are at least available and people have a choice. "Look, we don't get buggy games, because we don't get the games at all" doesn't help. I mean, RE4 remake gets rave reviews from the press and steam and there's still no macOS release. 🤷‍♂️

I'll go out on a limb here and predict rave reviews for Diablo 4 from day one as well. Except maybe the usual complains about busy servers.

So the more, the merrier. People should be able to figure out what they can play on their own and choose from any game they like.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like Redfall which was highly promoted is getting decimated in the reviews, Steam has it mostly negative, Metacritic has the review score at 59 and what's worse if the User Score.
1683063635786.png

Good video discussing the game's failure

• Love

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
It sounds like they couldn't have gone much more out of their way to make a dud.

• Sad

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

REALLY?! REDFALL IS WHAT CONVINCED THEM!? Not Diablo 3 with Error 37 in 2012? Not SimCity 2013 where the game was unplayable for a long time that they had to patch the always online requirement out? Not Crash Bandicoot 4 on BattleNet where the servers crashed so you couldn't even play the game, a problem the Steam version didn't have? Not Gran Turismo 7 where the game was unplayable for three days when the servers were offline?

Game journalism is a joke I swear to god.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Okay always online/game journalism rant over. Yeah with the release of Redfall, I am really worried about the future of Xbox. They had such a promising start and now it just...stopped. Halo Infinite's momentum just stopped and the game is barren with content. No game releases throughout 2022 with the biggest release the console had was a port of Persona 5 Royal, and one of the two biggest releases they have this year was a complete dud. Combined with the fact the ActiBlizz deal looks like it's not gonna go through now, and I'm seeing a repeat of the Xbox One.

If Starfield isn't a 10/10 masterpiece, I fear this brand is dead.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am really worried about the future of Xbox
Agreed,
There's a fair amount of chatter on twitter regarding how Starfield has to be a homerun. I've stopped my xbox subscription because I just wasn't playing enough different games to justify the monthly expense. I'm now eyeing a return to Playstation. I had a PS4, and loved it. I thought with the Xbox, and the gamepass subscription it was a can't lose proposition but here I am ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The linked video above makes a lot of good points, like why would Zenimax select Arcane Studios for this initiative when the game style is not their forte.

Redfall lets me down regardless of the genre expectations I bring:

• A co-op FPS, like Left 4 Dead: There aren't enough enemies or enemy types and the world is big and empty
  • A singleplayer Fallout-style RPG: Every gun feels the same and half of the skill tree is useless for singleplayer
  • A survival horror FPS: Redfall's vampires aren't all that scary or dangerous, just loud and annoying
  • A hero-based FPS: Abilities have long cooldowns and don't meaningfully interact with the world or enemies
  • A story-focused FPS: The science-gone-wrong narrative is presented like an audiobook because Redfall's characters are barely characters

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Agreed,
There's a fair amount of chatter on twitter regarding how Starfield has to be a homerun. I've stopped my xbox subscription because I just wasn't playing enough different games to justify the monthly expense. I'm now eyeing a return to Playstation. I had a PS4, and loved it. I thought with the Xbox, and the gamepass subscription it was a can't lose proposition but here I am ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS5+PC is the way to go, that way you get the best of both worlds and don't have to wait a year for the Playstation PC releases. Plus, Spider-Man 2 is THIS YEAR.

Reactions: maflynn

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Apple folks would still like to be on the hype train versus letting the game die and possible be abandoned (and thus never get a port at all). No?

Well, not this kind of hype train where you get disappointed time after time. There is no difference for me personally between not having a AAA game on Mac and having a broken AAA game that gives you nothing but frustration and disappointment instead of joy to the point you get tired of it by the time it’s fixed. Frankly it’s getting embarrassing. The length some people go (not you) to defend crappy games in the name of freedom of choice just to be able to say it’s better than the state of Mac gaming. No wonder there are so many bad games with all kinds of issues when that’s the way of thinking among developers. ”The more crappy games we give our customers the merrier… and while we’re at it let’s make them guinea pigs and give them the joy of finding all the problems by themselves instead of testing and eliminating the bugs before, or coming up with interesting stories and contents. Why should we waste our time on that. There will always be suckers who will fall for our stuttering mess, graphical glitches, boring story and empty content. They may even enjoy it.”

Then maybe people should stop bragging about all the upcoming AAA PC titles since it’s one disappointment after another nowadays. I think I have seen all these titles on different lists in discussions as examples of great upcoming titles and the glorious state of PC gaming. ”Look, we have a huge selection of AAA games and day-and-date releases on PC because we count the whole bug infested buffet with disappointing titles with performance and graphical issues and worthless content, but hey, the more garbage the merrier because that’s what counts, the quantity, not the quality.”

I mean Day-and-date PC releases are less and less something to brag about because more and more gamers wait a long time before they buy the games. Many have stopped pre-ordering because of the state of PC gaming. Many have stopped to buy on the release date and wait for patches. Many of those buying get disappointed and mad and stop playing or ask for refund. Many games still suffer from problems even a long time after several patches and by the time they actually work gamers have moved on to other new crappy titles that keep coming. So day-and-date releases are getting more and more meaningless and the grass is not much greener on the other side, but sure, if people like to be guinea pigs and eat bugs just to be able to feed their hunger for latest releases go ahead, make my day. Developers should be able to let the customers face the problems themselves instead of doing their job and release any crappy game they like.

Imagine having that mindset in other businesses. Crappy music better than no music, crappy movies better than no movies, crappy restaurants better than no restaurants, crappy cars better than no cars? Well, maybe there are businesses who practice this, like Wish, but at least they don’t charge you full-price for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and Irishman

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Well, not this kind of hype train where you get disappointed time after time. There is no difference for me personally between not having a AAA game on Mac and having a broken AAA game that gives you nothing but frustration and disappointment instead of joy to the point you get tired of it by the time it’s fixed. Frankly it’s getting embarrassing. The length some people go (not you) to defend crappy games in the name of freedom of choice just to be able to say it’s better than the state of Mac gaming. No wonder there are so many bad games with all kinds of issues when that’s the way of thinking among developers. ”The more crappy games we give our customers the merrier… and while we’re at it let’s make them guinea pigs and give them the joy of finding all the problems by themselves instead of testing and eliminating the bugs before, or coming up with interesting stories and contents. Why should we waste our time on that. There will always be suckers who will fall for our stuttering mess, graphical glitches, boring story and empty content. They may even enjoy it.”

Then maybe people should stop bragging about all the upcoming AAA PC titles since it’s one disappointment after another nowadays. I think I have seen all these titles on different lists in discussions as examples of great upcoming titles and the glorious state of PC gaming. ”Look, we have a huge selection of AAA games and day-and-date releases on PC because we count the whole bug infested buffet with disappointing titles with performance and graphical issues and worthless content, but hey, the more garbage the merrier because that’s what counts, the quantity, not the quality.”

I mean Day-and-date PC releases are less and less something to brag about because more and more gamers wait a long time before they buy the games. Many have stopped pre-ordering because of the state of PC gaming. Many have stopped to buy on the release date and wait for patches. Many of those buying get disappointed and mad and stop playing or ask for refund. Many games still suffer from problems even a long time after several patches and by the time they actually work gamers have moved on to other new crappy titles that keep coming. So day-and-date releases are getting more and more meaningless and the grass is not much greener on the other side, but sure, if people like to be guinea pigs and eat bugs just to be able to feed their hunger for latest releases go ahead, make my day. Developers should be able to let the customers face the problems themselves instead of doing their job and release any crappy game they like.

Imagine having that mindset in other businesses. Crappy music better than no music, crappy movies better than no movies, crappy restaurants better than no restaurants, crappy cars better than no cars? Well, maybe there are businesses who practice this, like Wish, but at least they don’t charge you full-price for it.

For every bad PC port there's five good ones. There's been some bad releases lately, The Last of Us Part 1 and Jedi Survivor being the prime examples, but you forget we also had:

• Returnal
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Persona 3 Portable & Persona 5 Royal
  • Like a Dragon Ishin!
  • Dead Island 2
  • Hi Fi Rush
  • System Shock Remake
  • Dead Space Remake
  • Atomic Heart
  • Octopath Traveler 2
  • Honaki Star Rail
  • and Live A Live
Everyone likes to focus on the bad ones since people love seeing a big name get dragged in the mud.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
For every bad PC port there's five 500 good ones.
Fixed that for you. ;)
Out of curiosity, why are we calling Survivor a PC port? Last of Us is, from PS. But Survivor? That would assume it was developed for console and that version was then ported to PC. They all had the CPU bottleneck issue though, but to be fair, xbox and PS are much more like PC than ever before. I'd call this an original release.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Fixed that for you. ;)

Thanks friendo

Out of curiosity, why are we calling Survivor a PC port? Last of Us is, from PS. But Survivor? That would assume it was developed for console and that version was then ported to PC. They all had the CPU bottleneck issue though, but to be fair, xbox and PS are much more like PC than ever before. I'd call this an original release.

Everything is a port according to normies since they think console takes priority over PC. But it's all semantics and I'm not losing sleep over it.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
For every bad PC port there's five good ones. There's been some bad releases lately, The Last of Us Part 1 and Jedi Survivor being the prime examples, but you forget we also had:

• Returnal
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Persona 3 Portable & Persona 5 Royal
  • Like a Dragon Ishin!
  • Dead Island 2
  • Hi Fi Rush
  • System Shock Remake
  • Dead Space Remake
  • Atomic Heart
  • Octopath Traveler 2
  • Honaki Star Rail
  • and Live A Live
Everyone likes to focus on the bad ones since people love seeing a big name get dragged in the mud.

Sure, but the discussion was about recent buggy AAA games as an increasing trend and PC gamers being fed up with that while paying full-price for being beta testers and if that’s so much better than the state of Mac gaming. Crappy AAA games vs. lack of AAA games. You can read the articles above about the situation.

Some of the games on your list aren’t considered as AAA and some I hadn’t even heard of. Street Fighter 6 and System Shock aren't released yet so it remains to see the reviews but System Shock looks to be another major disappointment judging by its development history and backers' comments who have tested the demo. They appear to have made so many compromises and lately even added pixelated textures to make it look old which has upset many.

As for ”focusing on the bad games since people love seeing a big name get dragged in the mud” it goes both ways. RE Village Mac had one issue with keyboard and mouse which was fixed several months ago and the only thing people here keep talking about as an alleged ”running gag in the industry” is that one issue and RE 4 not being ported to Mac in almost every single post. Same people claim it was supposedly Apple’s fault and Capcom is ”still pissed off” that Apple was slow at fixing a patch but they also gladly forget all the issues the PC version of RE Village had, like performance issues, stuttering and crashes and how long it took to fix those. Even PC gamers had problem with bad mouse aim. Just a couple of weeks before the Mac release in Oct 2022 Capcom released an update for PC that broke the game totally at launch, just before the release of the Winters' Expansion. A Steam user fixed a solution while waiting for a fix but people still couldn’t play the DLCs. That time despite being in total control and Apple out of the picture it also took about 5 weeks before they could fix it with a new patch, judging by the patch history and news reports, but that’s not something people like to mention here when they want to have a laugh at Apple in the mud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
PS5+PC is the way to go, that way you get the best of both worlds and don't have to wait a year for the Playstation PC releases. Plus, Spider-Man 2 is THIS YEAR.
I absolutely cannot stand the PS5 controller. Not sure why but it’s just not my style and feels extremely cheap. I liked the PS4 controller more but not by much. PS3 was the last PlayStation controller I liked. I prefer the switch Pro controller over the PS5. And I prefer the Xbox Elite Pro 2 controller over all of them.

If PS5 had a better controller I would like it more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I absolutely cannot stand the PS5 controller.
Personal preference to be sure, but when I went from the PS4 to the Xbox X, I absolutely hated the Xbox controller. That chonky boy is just a handful I find the PS5 controller is just better - but again, its all personal preference.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Suddenly I'm the new OP but you can take over from now on @maflynn. :) For those who may be a bit confused many of the posts were moved to this new thread from another discussion. Since my posts are older they're placed first. maflynn is the OP here.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I absolutely cannot stand the PS5 controller. Not sure why but it’s just not my style and feels extremely cheap. I liked the PS4 controller more but not by much. PS3 was the last PlayStation controller I liked. I prefer the switch Pro controller over the PS5. And I prefer the Xbox Elite Pro 2 controller over all of them.

If PS5 had a better controller I would like it more.

I hate playing on pad in general. I seriously wish more console games had keyboard and mouse support.

Welcome to the master race then. All are welcome. All are welcome.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Holly Crap, Steam reviews are brutal... :oops:

I thought this one was funny:

"Redfall has all the bells and whistles you want. It's glitchy, messy, laggy and empty. It's on its way to become a GOTY. (Garbage Of The Year)." :)

Reactions: txa1265

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's glitchy, messy, laggy and empty.
From the reviews I've read, people seem to surmise that the opportunity cost of continuing to work on this for 3 more months but it will still be a hot mess, and they sunk so much money into the game, it was time to just move on. The game was started before MSFT bought Bethesda.

Reactions: Homy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.