Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
From the reviews I've read, people seem to surmise that the opportunity cost of continuing to work on this for 3 more months but it will still be a hot mess, and they sunk so much money into the game, it was time to just move on. The game was started before MSFT bought Bethesda.
Yeah, the idea is/was a fun one. Clearly it didn't live up to the expectations. Maybe (like No Mans Sky) they can fix it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I doubt it, but am willing to be surprised. Do they (MS) consider this a live service game?
It has some attributes of a life service game but not all. Time will tell whether MS chooses to improve the game, but it seems to go beyond just bugs, the entire design of the game has issues, the AI, the number of enemies, etc. I'm not saying it can't be improved but the issues run deep

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Do you think MSFT is going to dedicate money and years in trying to turn the game around?

They did with Sea of Thieves, and look where it is now. It's got a massive thriving community, and even had a Pirates of the Caribbean expansion where they actually got Johnny Depp to be Captain Jack Sparrow again.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
They did with Sea of Thieves, and look where it is now. It's got a massive thriving community, and even had a Pirates of the Caribbean expansion where they actually got Johnny Depp to be Captain Jack Sparrow again.
Which is why I asked if it was a live service game, usually those get some love.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Which is why I asked if it was a live service game, usually those get some love.

Well it does have an always online requirement (when it really doesn't need one since it's got a single player mode) but I have no idea. The entire development of this game was a mess.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
They lost about a quarter of their staff through layoffs, even if they haven't moved on, Halo Infinite is a sad state
Ah yeah then I cam see why they dropped things like split screen co-op.

Is Arkane in the same position (WRT layoffs)?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Some insights about the failure:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
This is a bit relevant and speaks to how I generally feel about the AAA gaming industry.

There have been a lot A LOT of empty promises in SO MANY games recently. Other than the games in question from before, the most irritating one was straight from 343 they said after Halo 5 that couch co-op would be a primary focus. Where is that in Halo Infinite?

But games like Satisfactory, Factorio? Nintendo even? I am all for that. I don't care one bit about the 1,000th Call of Duty game.

Reactions: Queen6 and Homy

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
This is a bit relevant and speaks to how I generally feel about the AAA gaming industry.

There have been a lot A LOT of empty promises in SO MANY games recently. Other than the games in question from before, the most irritating one was straight from 343 they said after Halo 5 that couch co-op would be a primary focus. Where is that in Halo Infinite?

But games like Satisfactory, Factorio? Nintendo even? I am all for that. I don't care one bit about the 1,000th Call of Duty game.

Another empty promise becoming one of the worst ranked games on Steam.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
(ugh to the 'gaming is dying' video by someone likely in his 20s without the maturity to understand that these things are a cyclical joke by now ... I've been hearing the death of gaming likely since before that kid was born!)

I grabbed Redfall last month on a sale for just over $10 with coupon ... and after playing a few hours I definitely feel I overpaid! :D There have been a few patches, but it is just fundamentally not a good game.

And I so agree with the earlier comments about requiring always-online for single player games being infuriating ... I obviously didn't pay attention, and even when initially launching it only said "contact servers on initial launch" which to me meant 'initial launch' but was in fact ALWAYS. I'm traveling a lot for work, so even though the newest SteamOS on the OLED Deck connects to the hotel WiFi, Redfall sometimes can't connext to the BethSoft servers. So I have abandoned it for now.

Which on second thought might be a good thing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I don't care one bit about the 1,000th Call of Duty game.

Me neither. 🤔 How long can they milk that franchise?

Reactions: Queen6

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
So what do we think about Arkane doing Blade, after how RedFall turned out?
I don't think it means a whole lot, Blade sounds more like their wheelhouse and it's made by Arkane Lyon and not Austin. Good studios can make bad games, the studios behind the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Nier Automata made Starfox Zero for example.

Reactions: Queen6

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I don't think it means a whole lot, Blade sounds more like their wheelhouse and it's made by Arkane Lyon and not Austin. Good studios can make bad games, the studios behind the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Nier Automata made Starfox Zero for example.
Well let's hope Microsoft doesn't make them turn it into a live service games (somehow). We all saw how Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy turned out. Hoping more for some Spider-Man level magic...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.