Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael52

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
image.jpg
Hi, I’m having issues with my cMP 5 1 after going through the initial download of both OC and RFP, as whenever I use a HD 5770, I’m stuck on loading screens with no progression. And if I use a GT 640 2 GB, I’m stuck on the screen in the photo attached here. I can move my mouse, but I have nothing on the screen. any ideas on how to fix this?

Side Note: with the HD 5770, I can view the boot options of RefindPlus, while the GT 640 has no display of the boot manager.

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Any ideas on how to fix this?
Your post is not particularly clear (missing basic background information) but seems to be reporting some kind of issue with RefindPlus or with OpenCore or with your GPUs. Either way, please see POST 1 >> SUPPORT OPTIONS for where and how to get help on items that are not directly about running the MyBootMgr tools.

Michael52

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
Your post is not particularly clear (missing basic background information) but seems to be reporting some kind of issue with RefindPlus or with OpenCore or with your GPUs. Either way, please see POST 1 >> SUPPORT OPTIONS for where and how to get help on items that are not directly about running the MyBootMgr tools.
Thank you for the reply. What sort of background information are you looking for? I would be happy to clarify anything that may be missing. Also, if the problem were to stem from my GPU, what would you recommend for gaming?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Have just returned to playing with MyBootMgr as I want to upgrade my test drive to the latest version of Ventura 13.5.1. I've downloaded v094 and when running it it comes up with the attached error message towards the end of the build process in ConfigFactory. Tried it twice - once setting it up manual myself, and a second time using default settings for my cMP. It fails both ways. Attached log. Anything obvious I'm doing wrong @Dayo ?
Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 15.40.04.png

Attachments

• DebugLog_ConfigFactory.log.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 49

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Those types of messages are from scripting bugs. Trying to use a variable without setting it first.

Probably only affects the Ventura path.

Will take a look later.

Thanks

Reactions: JedNZ

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Found the issue with a path to setting OpenCore up for Ventura/Newer.
I have just updated the package. That is, release version not changed.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Thanks @Dayo. The updated version works a charm. :)

The config.plist files have an nvram setting of -v added which boots with Verbose mode. I can't remember seeing an option for this in Configfactory. This was actually quite helpful to be honest as I didn't know it was as easy as toggling that in/out. But I have manually removed -v that now my system is working perfectly, even with Ventura 13.5.1.

Reactions: Dayo

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I manually removed -v
ConfigFactory sets things up in DEBUG mode given that installation time is when issues are most likely to present. This means logs are produced by RefindPlus and OpenCore along with verbose Mac OS boots (if done via OpenCore).

If following the guide in Post 1, you would see that it documents the verbose boot default and also see that when you implement the step of running the SwitchRunMode app to switch to RELEASE mode as part of completion, that the app removes the verbose boot flag when going from DBG to REL (along with stopping the logging). It adds the flag and switches logging on when when going from REL to DBG instead.

After manually removing the flag, I presume debug logging is now still active and is not switched off as should be the case. Also presumably leaves RefindPlus and OpenCore DBG build files running. These run slower than REL build files.

Last edited:

garibaldo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
Porto Alegre, Brazil
I just can't download MybootMNGR, after entering captcha, and clickin download, nothing downloads, and next try is forbidden, saying it is already been downloaded... @Dayo , please, advise...?

Last edited:

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I just can't download MybootMNGR, after entering captcha, and clickin download, nothing downloads, and next try is forbidden, saying it is already been downloaded... @Dayo , please, advise...?
I tried just now on both my cMP and my iPhone and both worked so it would appear there’s something not quite right on your end.

Try restarting your browser, or clearing your browser cache or maybe another browser.

The password is case sensitive so take care you’re entering that correctly.

Reactions: Dayo

garibaldo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
Porto Alegre, Brazil
I tried just now on both my cMP and my iPhone and both worked so it would appear there’s something not quite right on your end.

Try restarting your browser, or clearing your browser cache or maybe another browser.

The password is case sensitive so take care you’re entering that correctly.
Clearing browser data solved the problem... Thanks, @JedNZ...

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Looks like your website might be down @Dayo . I have tried on different browsers on different Macs and I get a message warning about your website possibly impersonating an attacker.

Update: working again now.

Last edited:
Reactions: garibaldo

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I get a message warning about your website possibly impersonating an attacker.
"Run ... You might be under attack!!" is a standard message poorly written browsers push out once something is gone wrong. FireFox would have explained the issue clearly.

Anyway, was away for a few days without proper access and that of course is exactly when the SSL certificate expires and the script that auto updates the cert fails as it needs to be updated to another version itself.

ironmanny1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
Hey Guys, I'm following the instructions to install refind with mybootmgr. I am running configfactory, however at the end I'm getting an error message... See Screenshot.
Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 10.39.41 AM.png

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I'm getting an error message
Thanks for the report.

Q1: What is the output of running the command below in Terminal?
system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType

Q2: Are you running ConfigFactory on a cMP/Xserve or something else?

Last edited:

ironmanny1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
Thanks for the report.

Q1: What is the output of running the command below in Terminal?
system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType

Q2: Are you running ConfigFactory on a cMP/Xserve or something else?
Q1:
Graphics/Displays:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 31 MB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x73bf

Revision ID: 0x00c0

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p 4K UHD - Ultra High Definition)

UI Looks like: 3840 x 2160

Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Q2: on a cMP, Mac Pro 5,1 6950XT -> Flash w/ Syncretic Patch 6900XT

Configuring on Mojave Natively (without OpenCore)

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I see. Thanks.

Could be that the @Syncretic patch involves removing the "Chipset Model" output.

Bin the current package and download again after restarting your browser.
I have updated the package with a workaround for when that output is absent.

BTW, when you want to post such terminal output, try posting them as follows:
{CODE}
Output Data
{/CODE}

Use square brackets for {CODE} and {/CODE}

Last edited:
Reactions: ironmanny1

ironmanny1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
I see. Thanks.

Could be that the @Syncretic patch involves removing the "Chipset Model" output.

Bin the current package and download again after restarting your browser.
I have updated the package with a workaround for when that output is absent.

BTW, when you want to post such terminal output, try posting them as follows:
{CODE}
Output Data
{/CODE}

Use square brackets for {CODE} and {/CODE}
Thank you, the updated version is working now.

ironmanny1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
So I've installed refindplus. Works great.... however, is there any instructions on how to add Martin's OC package to this? Is it just copying his files over to the EFI directory? For some reason, After messing around with choosing the boot device, on next boot I lose the refindplus boot screen and get the open core boot screen.

Last question, I have UEFI windows, If I boot from refindplus, is the nvram protected?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
So I've installed refindplus. Works great.... however, is there any instructions on how to add Martin's OC package to this? Is it just copying his files over to the EFI directory? For some reason, After messing around with choosing the boot device, on next boot I lose the refindplus boot screen and get the open core boot screen.

Last question, I have UEFI windows, If I boot from refindplus, is the nvram protected?

I posted a howto for OCLP, using Martins package is about the same:

For the NVRAM it is most important to have a backup, see my signature for the tool what does the backup and checks.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Any instructions on how to add Martin's OC package to this?
You can incorporate any OpenCore package you want as long as you understand how OpenCore works.
To start with though, it is not clear what "this" is. RefindPlus alone or RefindPlus and OpenCore? Share the ConfigFactory debug log.

I can see some red flags ... starting with this query which hints at the XY Problem. Martin's package is perfectly fine but there is no reason why anyone running MyBootMgr should be needing it.

If you want to use Martin's package, forget about MyBootMgr and go all in with Martin's package and if you want to use MyBootMgr, forget about Martin's package and go all in with MyBootMgr.

Again, you can add anything you want as per the instructions in Post 1 but it seems you might be looking at this in an attempt to solve some other issues brought about by not going all in as the next item suggests.

I lose the RefindPlus boot screen and get the OpenCore boot screen.
This suggests that rather than follow the instructions in Post 1 exactly as written, you have perhaps tried to create a hybrid by skipping some key bits such as leaving some third party OpenCore instances sitting around.

So, instead of having things defaulting back to your natively bootable Mac OS, it is going back to some random OpenCore instance you have left on some ESP (which would not be there if you had followed Post 1 as written).

Lucky you didn't get booted into UEFI Windows instead of OpenCore btw.

If I boot UEFI Windows from RefindPlus, is the nvram protected?
Yes. This is detailed in Post 1 but you should hide UEFI Windows in RefindPlus and use OpenCore for this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.