Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
I am using OCLP 1.3 and am pretty happy with it except for the fact of having to option-boot for Mojave, Windows 11, and (optionally, not required) DosDude patched Catalina. I currently have Monterey, Ventura, and Sonoma all running parallel configs that are identical. My CMPro has a flashed RX-580 and updated WiFi/BLE. AirDrop and Watch unlock work. Mojave and Catalina have plist patches and run with full SIP. Monterey OCLP runs without root patch.

All that is running well, and I am mainly maintaining all of these to be prepared for glitches with special concern for Logic Pro. Eventually I will axe Ventura, but Sonoma has not been without glitches. Alas, Monterey no longer supports the latest Logic Pro. Xcode is also been an issue, since I always need the latest for work. A Mac Studio and MacBook Pro are my main drivers, but the CMPro is a nice workhorse in my second office.

I am interested in RefindPlus/myBootMgr mainly for the loading elegance. I used to configure OC manually, but OCLP makes it so much easier.

Does RefindPlus support the custom themes for the original?
Is there a migration or combination process description?

I just started looking at MyBootMgr and have not done a full RTFM.

Thanks.

Do you have multiple OC enabled OSes physically installed at the same time? Or do you have to swap drives to move from OC/Monterey to OC/Sonoma?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I have successfully installed OC
You might want to stick with the setup that is already working for you and give MyBootMgr a miss.
Can you kindly try not to make a post a minute or give a running commentary of steps you take if you can?

Cheers!

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
You need to consider whether you really want to change anything.

[...]
@Dayo Thank you so much for taking the time for your elaborate answer! I think I might heed your advice.
Life's too short.
I am thinking about setting up boot management on an old MacBook Air 2011 mid 2011 that will dual boot High Sierra and some form of Linux - most likely ZorinOS, which has a really nice interface.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Do you have OC enabled multiple OSes installed at the same time?
Yes. OCLP 1.3 is booting Monterey, Ventura, and Sonoma. They all reside in the same container on a 4TB PCIe M2. OCLP can also boot DosDude patched Catalina. I have the original Mojave and BootCamp Windows 11 on an eSATA SSD on sled 1—they and Catalina, which is on a PCIe SSD card, boot natively.
Since I have updated and flashed RX-580 and WiFi/BLE cards, Mojave and Catalina only have plist changes and can run with full SIP. Monterey can run without a root patch.
I am running into occasional hard freezes in the display driver on Sonoma and Ventura that recently cropped up. I have not found the likely offending app. Monterey is very stable.
Monterey, Ventura, and Sonoma are maintained with identical installs except for apps like Logic Pro, which require higher macOS versions for their latest releases.

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
Hi, that's a similar setup to what I was trying to achieve but without MyBootMgr/RefindPlus. I had El Captain Native, OC/Monterey and PC/Sonoma all on separate HDD. All worked fine for a week and then one morning I powered up and the OC volumes were corrupt at least I couldn't boot from them and selected OC from the boot screen caused a freeze. I then told than having > 1 OC enabled HDD installed at the same time can cause problems.....

So MyBootMgr/RefindPlus overcomes this problem?

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I was told than having more than one OC enabled HDD installed at the same time can cause problems.....

What you were actually told:
The issue is not about having one than one OCLP instance per se, but in having more than one OpenCore ESP regardless of whether created via the OCLP or not. So, you can have 100 Mac OS instances set up to run via OpenCore without issue as long as they are run from one ESP.

You seem to have assumed, at some stage previously at least, that there is something called an "OC Enabled Disk" required to use OpenCore whereby every disk with an unsupported Mac OS instance should have an associated OpenCore instance installed in the ESP of that disk

However, while disks formatted as APFS or HFS+ have ESPs and OpenCore is installed to such, you are not meant to put OpenCore into the ESP of every disk you want to run unsupported Mac OS instances from

What is needed is to have OpenCore on the ESP of one and only one of the disks in your system. It doesn't matter which one of the disks it is as such, or which tool you use to implement OpenCore, as long as there is only one ESP with OpenCore (properly configured to run the unsupported Mac OS instances) present

As an aside on this...
MyBootMgr/RefindPlus overcomes this problem?

Note that there is nothing called "MyBootMgr/RefindPlus". There is MyBootMgr, there is RefindPlus and there is OpenCore; all of which are totally different and separate things. If you had read POST 1, you would have found this:

000_Capture_MyBootMrNotRefindPlus.JPG

The tool/process used to implement OpenCore is a secondary matter but I can give you the steps to take with MyBootMgr based on my understanding of your setup:
  • You are running a MacPro3,1 (MP31)
  • You have a disk with El Capitan installed
  • You have a disk with Monterey installed (May have had patches applied by the OCLP)
  • You have OCLP configured OpenCore on the ESP of the disk with Monterey
  • You have at least one GPU natively supported on El Capitan
  • You have a Sapphire Pulse RX580 available
Based on these, given your past issues, you need to do the following:
  1. From El Capitan, with the natively supported GPU in, revert any OCLP patches applied to Monterey
    • Rigid patches as applied by the OCLP are not needed/desirable for Monterey on MP31 with RX580
    • Patches may have been applied to Monterey by the OCLP when run from El Capitan with the old GPU
  2. From El Capitan, mount the ESP on the Monterey disk and delete everything under the EFI folder
    • That is, all sub-folders and contents ("BOOT", "OC", "System" ... whatever)
    • If you have also put OpenCore on the ESP of the El Capitan disk, similarly mount and clear
  3. Shut down, disconnect the Monterey disk, and execute a "Deep NVram Reset"
    • You should be automatically booted into El Capitan
    • Stop here and get back if not so
  4. From El Capitan, set El Capitan as the start up disk in System Preferences and shut down
    • Reconnect the Monterey disk and boot into El Capitan
    • Download and run the MyBootMgr dmg to install MyBootMgr's "Helper Apps"
    • Afterwards, execute Step 3 of "IMPLEMENTATION >> STAGE 1 - PREPARATION" of POST 1
  5. Shut down when done with Item 4 above, swap your RX580 in, then restart
    • Execute "IMPLEMENTATION >> STAGE 2 - INSTALLATION" of POST 1
      • RX580 is painfully slow and glitches like mad on El Capitan but you'll live
      • Run the ConfigFactory app in "DUAL" mode to install RefindPlus and OpenCore
      • Select a volume that is definitely *NOT* on the El Capitan disk and preferably *NOT* on the Monterey disk as target volume when the question comes up in ConfigFactory
After completiing the steps above...
  • You will be able to boot as follows:
    • Monterey via OpenCore
    • El Capitan via OpenCore and/or RefindPlus
  • Refer to "IMPLEMENTATION >> STAGE 3 - CUSTOMISATION" of POST 1 to incorporate Sonoma
    • Do not add another ESP with any OpenCore, including by the OCLP, or worse still, overwrite the MyBootMgr created ESP, but incoporate Sonoma into the MyBootMgr created setup as instructed in that section
  • Consider installing DosDude Mojave/Catalina to run RX580 without slowness/glitches for future MyBootMgr updates etc
    • Should you, do not indicate that you intend to boot your DosDude instance via OpenCore when the question about patched instances comes up while running ConfigFactory. DosDude instances should always be run via RefindPlus and you will essentially not have a DosDude instance for consideration with OpenCore

Using MyBootMgr to set things up requires that you do not read "Do Action C" in POST 1 and decide on "Action K" instead:

000_Capture_MyBootMrPledge.JPG

Forget about whatever you might have read elsewhere and follow the instructions verbatim.
Please look for answers in POST 1 first and only post back if something is not covered there.

Good luck!

Edit: Removed DosDude Mojave aspect from the outlined steps as likely not doable at this point ... must suffer RX580 on El Capitan initially

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Updated MyBootMgr to v098
See change log in Post 1 for details

Reactions: thrush

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Updated MyBootMgr to v099
See change log in Post 1 for details

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Didn't work for me, went back to v99

Check your crash log in your EFI OC folder.

I've updated successfully with MyBootMgr 1.0.0, and my OC_EXT instance was created from OCLP 1.5.0n (contains OC 0.9.9) - all up and running from what I can tell. Hopefully it might stop my nightly crashes around screen sleeping and the annoying crashes when trying to shutdown (likely an OpenCore issue with my system).

thrush

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
MyBootMgr 1.0.0, and my OC_EXT instance was created from OCLP 1.5.0n (contains OC 0.9.9)

the change log indicates:

• OpenCore
    • Updated to v1.0.0
Not saying this is causing the prob. I'll send my log to Dayo and see if he is interested

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
"Didn't work for me" is not the most illuminating of issue reports.

Luckily though, as I often skip some parts in the chain in testing since the setup is already on my unit, I took a punt on "MyBootMgrSetup" and saw that it can fail because I changed "License.txt" to "APP_LICENSE.txt".

Updated and re-uploaded under the same release tag.

Thanks after all but on the other hand, it could be that the mystery issue is something else altogether!

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
nightly crashes around screen sleeping and the annoying crashes when trying to shutdown.
Assume this is related to Sonoma/Ventura booted via OCLP configured OpenCore instances that you have incorporated into your setup and not Monterey/Older booted via OpenCore instances directly configured by ConfigFactory. Right?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Assume this is related to Sonoma/Ventura booted via OCLP configured OpenCore instances that you have incorporated into your setup and not Monterey/Older booted via OpenCore instances directly configured by ConfigFactory. Right?
Yes that right - I strongly believe it’s either the OC instance created by OCLP (with minor adjustments I make to the config.plist file) and/or the OCLP patches and Sonoma coming into conflict.

I think I encountered the license issue too but was able to dismiss the dialogue without it upsetting anything. Love your work @Dayo I’m still a believer!

Reactions: Dayo

thrush

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Updated and re-uploaded under the same release tag.

Thanks after all but on the other hand, it could be that the mystery issue is something else altogether!
Re-download and install.

Same issue, this is where it hangs:

tempImageV9uN45.png

Want me to open an issue on GitHub?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Want me to open an issue on GitHub?
No. I do not think you got that error message when trying to run RefindPlus.

While there is a bit more information more in the form of the picture, I still don't have a clue what is it that is actually being loaded etc.

I assume it is OpenCore ... which instance and what version of Mac OS? Attach the OpenCore log file?
Something to work with.

thrush

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I assume it is OpenCore ... which instance and what version of Mac OS? Attach the OpenCore log file?
Something to work with.
Dayo, I'm a newbie.

For the folders/files listed in the EFI folder:

thrush 2024-05-15 at 2.36.48 PM.png
Where/how do I get at the OpenCore log file? Again, sorry for the inexperienced questions-

TT

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I'm a newbie.
Nope ... You signed up on this forum over 20 years ago!

Where/how do I get at the OpenCore log file?
Use the TweakESP app to mount your ESP and you will find the logs there.

Anyway, since v099 works just fine for you, I will sit on that for now.
This is because the error pic you showed hacks back to the "LateBloom/MonteRand" stuff. There was always a chance they could come back so I would just take a watching brief in your shoes. If they are back, everyone would soon know about it as it would be a "Voldemort Returns" level emergency.

You could try the good old deep nvRAM reset first and then roll back if you still face the issue.

thrush

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Use the TweakESP app to mount your ESP and you will find the logs there.
Was in the process of searching and found it before you replied. I don't dabble in this on a daily basis so I forget the basics sometimes.

Here's the log file from the mounted ESP:

Code:
6:3035   0:0372  INFO: Deploying Graphics Mode

6:3221   0:0186  Refresh Screen:
                     - Fetch Banner
                       * Default Title Banner
                         Colour (Mode) ...   R   G   B
                         Colour (Base) ... 191 191 191
                         Colour (Text) ...   0   0   0
                     - Scale Banner
                     - Clear Screen
                     - Offer Banner

6:4508   0:1286  INFO: Graphics Mode Deployed
                         Title Banner Displayed

6:4788   0:0279  S E E K   I N S T A N C E   L O A D E R S
  6:5109   0:0321  Scan Manual:
                     - Found Manual Stanza: OpenCore (OC_LEG - iMacPro1,1 to run Catalina/Older)
  6:5442   0:0332  Scan External:
  6:5628   0:0186  Scan Optical:
  6:5814   0:0186  Scan Optical (Legacy):
  6:6001   0:0186  Scan Internal:
                     - Found Instance: macOS from Volume:- Mac NVME
                     - Found Instance: macOS from Volume:- TTs 2Tc
  6:8336   0:2335  Scan Internal (Legacy):

6:8523   0:0186  A S S I G N   S H O R T C U T   K E Y S
  6:8833   0:0309  Set Shortcuts:
                     - Set Key '1' to Run Item:- 'Load Manual Stanza: OpenCore (OC_LEG - iMacPro1,1 to run Catalina/Older)'
                     - Set Key '2' to Run Item:- 'Load Instance: macOS from Volume:- Mac NVME'
                     - Set Key '3' to Run Item:- 'Load Instance: macOS from Volume:- TTs 2Tc'

6:9299   0:0466  INFO: Assigned Shortcut Keys to 3 of 3 Instance Loaders

6:9485   0:0186  H A N D L E   T O O L   O P T I O N S
  6:9672   0:0186  Check and Set Items:
                     - Tool List Item 01 ... Added Tool:- 'About RefindPlus'
                     - Tool List Item 02 ... Added Tool:- 'Rotate CSR'
                     - Tool List Item 03 ... Added Tool:- 'Clean nvRAM'
                     - Tool List Item 04 ... Added Tool:- 'Restore Entries'
                     - Tool List Item 05 ... Added Tool:- 'Manage BootOrder'
                     - Tool List Item 06 ... Added Tool:- 'System Restart'
                     - Tool List Item 07 ... Added Tool:- 'System Shutdown'

7:1458   0:1786  INFO: Processed 7 Tool List Items

7:1655   0:0196  M A N A G E   P O I N T E R   D E V I C E S
  7:1852   0:0196  Deconfigure Pointer Scenarios:
                     - Cleanse Pointer Artefacts ... Success
                     - Disable Pointer Protocols ... Success

7:2225   0:0372  INFO: Running in Keyboard-Only Mode

* ** ** *** *** ***[ Loaded RefindPlus 0.14.1.AA (PRE-RELEASE) on Apple Firmware ]*** *** *** ** ** *

7:2691   0:0466  P R O C E S S   U S E R   I N P U T
  7:3001   0:0309  Configured Default Loader:- 'Load Manual Stanza: OpenCore (OC_AAA - MacPro7,1 to run BigSur/Monterey)'
  7:3187   0:0186  Highlighted Screen Option:- 'Load Manual Stanza: OpenCore (OC_LEG - iMacPro1,1 to run Catalina/Older)'

7:3374   0:0186  INFO: Clear Keystroke Buffer ... Already Started

7:3562   0:0187  ** Wait for User Input **

12:8194   5:4632  Received User Input:
                     - Load Instance: OpenCore:- '\EFI\OC_LEG\OpenCore.efi'
 12:9292   0:1098  EFI File is Valid ... Loading
<<------ * ------>>

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
That's a RefindPlus log file but your issue happened when trying to load Mac OS from OpenCore.
RefindPlus -> OpenCore ... No issue (Log not really needed)
OpenCore -> Mac OS ... Hangs (Log useful)

The OpenCore log file will be on the same ESP and have a txt file type.
A useful log file is one generated when the issue happened.

If you cannot get your hands on this directly or determine this easily, just forget the whole thing and roll back to what works for you.

thrush

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
The OpenCore log file will be on the same ESP and have a txt file type.
A useful log file is one generated when the issue happened.
Sorry, found it. Hope this helps-

TT

Attachments

• opencore-2024-05-15-191854.txt
    256 KB · Views: 4

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Hope this helps-
Thanks. Found the issue.

You only saw one instance of OpenCore in RefindPlus instead of the usual number.
This was configured for Catalina/Older but you were trying to boot BigSur, hence the "LateBloom" style failure.
You didn't notice that it was labelled as being for "Catalina/Older" or overlooked this because it was the only instance.

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 08.37.18.png

I had actually reached for my 12 Gauge and was about to unload both barrels on you before thinking, "he can't be so crazy to have done what would have been needed" and so I thought I better check whether I was the one that did the dirty and yep, I was!

The issue was that I only copy part of updated RefindPlus config files into ConfigFactory, which then edits and adds to as needed. This time, I pasted the entire file in; resulting in only one manual stanza that it adds showing. Complete brain fart.

Fixed again and should be good this time.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JedNZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.