Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Like everyone else, I've been hit with all the fun HomeKit issues. I've also been an early adopter of HomeKit, so I've been around when it has performed well (and when it hasn't).

The last 6-9 months have been some of the worst times for HomeKit. Regressions were everywhere (things that once worked well, stopped working or worked less well). Issues were weekly, daily, hourly.

However - and I sure hope I'm not jinxing anything here - the last 2-3 weeks have been completely error-free, commands have been accepted immediately and they've worked every time. No devices have become unreachable.

Just a simple "Hey Siri" request is quickly met by the bong (if applicable) and what I wanted to happen, happens.

(Crosses fingers)

This has been a bit personal for me as when HomeKit was more stable a couple of years ago, I heavily recommended it to friends and family, and many of them have started their own efforts, most of which are smaller but still important for them. I've gotten some negative feedback here and there and I've put it off with "give it a bit, Apple's working on some bugs, they'll fix it" but I was getting really close to telling people to scrap it and go in another direction.

My trust in HomeKit has been tested, but I'm very pleased with the last few weeks. Usually people post on message boards when things aren't working - and I'm sure some of you are still having some issues, I get it - but I wanted to have a general shout-out to Apple for getting this under control with more stability than before.

Is 2-3 weeks enough time? I'm hoping so, at this point if there are more regressions that will be extremely disappointing.

ETA: As the last post in this thread indicates, I had all my home hubs not responding this morning, along with a wall switch. Had to power cycle all the hubs and complete remove, reset and re-add the switch. Sigh...

Last edited:

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
I agree. iOS 16.3.2 on the HomePods fixed a lot of things for me. I still wish commands would be processed a bit faster, but at least they are getting done correctly and the first time I ask. It hasn't been like that for quite a while. Hope it lasts.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Like everyone else, I've been hit with all the fun HomeKit issues. I've also been an early adopter of HomeKit, so I've been around when it has performed well (and when it hasn't).

The last 6-9 months have been some of the worst times for HomeKit. Regressions were everywhere (things that once worked well, stopped working or worked less well). Issues were weekly, daily, hourly.

However - and I sure hope I'm not jinxing anything here - the last 2-3 weeks have been completely error-free, commands have been accepted immediately and they've worked every time. No devices have become unreachable.

Just a simple "Hey Siri" request is quickly met by the bong (if applicable) and what I wanted to happen, happens.

(Crosses fingers)

This has been a bit personal for me as when HomeKit was more stable a couple of years ago, I heavily recommended it to friends and family, and many of them have started their own efforts, most of which are smaller but still important for them. I've gotten some negative feedback here and there and I've put it off with "give it a bit, Apple's working on some bugs, they'll fix it" but I was getting really close to telling people to scrap it and go in another direction.

My trust in HomeKit has been tested, but I'm very pleased with the last few weeks. Usually people post on message boards when things aren't working - and I'm sure some of you are still having some issues, I get it - but I wanted to have a general shout-out to Apple for getting this under control with more stability than before.

Is 2-3 weeks enough time? I'm hoping so, at this point if there are more regressions that will be extremely disappointing.
Oh wow, I just posted this in an other thread. My HomeKit setup has been very stable for the past couple weeks too. Wonder if there were some sever side tweaks performed by Apple in preparation for the new-new architecture. This also coincided with an eero update so not sure exactly what’s causing this upgraded performance.

The only thing that fails for me is timed automations using Siri (e.g. “Hey, Siri, turn off the exhaust fan in 20 minutes“) but I can live with that if it’s the only issue.

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
Late HomeKit adopter here, must say I have had no problems so far adding devices and running commands/automations so far. Overall I am pretty pleased with the experience.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I agree. iOS 16.3.2 on the HomePods fixed a lot of things for me. I still wish commands would be processed a bit faster, but at least they are getting done correctly and the first time I ask. It hasn't been like that for quite a while. Hope it lasts.
For me, the commands seem to be happening faster, but Siri's response has been slower & happening moments AFTER the command has been completed.

alunjunkinsuk

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Mine was all good till yesterday after the earlier issues : asking twice etc
Yesterday we we baxk to asking three times . Something went wrong this is taking too long and the weirdest one

We made a request and Siri whispered back in a very “curious” way both myself and wife said “ she is whispering to us as nothing is working “ something is happening I guess

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
For me it is the infamous "No Response" for the Matter enabled accessories but other than that no major drama with the other Homekit accessories.

Oh wow, I just posted this in an other thread. My HomeKit setup has been very stable for the past couple weeks too. Wonder if there were some sever side tweaks performed by Apple in preparation for the new-new architecture. This also coincided with an eero update so not sure exactly what’s causing this upgraded performance.

The only thing that fails for me is timed automations using Siri (e.g. “Hey, Siri, turn off the exhaust fan in 20 minutes“) but I can live with that if it’s the only issue.
Funny you should mention this, noted on Sunday that the HomeHub(s) were not responding having received several notifications, lo and behold, the Matter devices (except one!) have been more stable than before, like you have mentioned was there a backdoor tweak by Apple?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
For me it is the infamous "No Response" for the Matter enabled accessories but other than that no major drama with the other Homekit accessories.

Funny you should mention this, noted on Sunday that the HomeHub(s) were not responding having received several notifications, lo and behold, the Matter devices (except one!) have been more stable than before, like you have mentioned was there a backdoor tweak by Apple?!

Any particular matter devices? All of my Eve door sensors keep going down but having spoken to Eve support, they have confirmed they are dealing with Apple regarding the Matter disconnect issue so at least they are aware of it.

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
Everything is been just fine for me, fast, reliable, smooth (new architecture) apart from my EVE Door & Window sensor which just can't be arsed to send me notifications, this has been since the 16.3 update. Hopefully 16.4 will resolve it.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Any particular matter devices? All of my Eve door sensors keep going down but having spoken to Eve support, they have confirmed they are dealing with Apple regarding the Matter disconnect issue so at least they are aware of it.
I have the Eve Door & Window sensors (5off) and Eve Energy (2off), they gave me nothing but grief since I participated in the Matter early adoption programme and also received update from Eve advising the same that they are working with Apple for a resolution.

They have been very stable since Sunday except for one particular Door & Window sensor which is still dropping, I am finding it very bizarre as to why or how this is happening because by now I would have at least one Energy dropping off along with at least another 3 Door & Window sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: StumpyBloke

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
For me, the commands seem to be happening faster, but Siri's response has been slower & happening moments AFTER the command has been completed.
I always laugh when Siri says "still working on it" or "one moment" AFTER it's already completed the task successfully. Doesn't happen every time....just once in a while. As long as it's doing the thing I told it to do, I'll forgive the little hiccups like this.

• Haha
Reactions: curdy and vitale

vitale

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
I've never had an issue with HomeKit - my only concerns were if I had to restart a HomePod mini here or there. Otherwise my subwoofer, lights, etc. all work. And being able to turn things on while away from home has been great. It's seamless.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I've never had an issue with HomeKit - my only concerns were if I had to restart a HomePod mini here or there. Otherwise my subwoofer, lights, etc. all work. And being able to turn things on while away from home has been great. It's seamless.

Subwoofer? Is that via a smart plug?

vitale

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
Subwoofer? Is that via a smart plug?
AirPort Express 2 - the subwoofer is a simple Monoprice 60-watt add-on using a left/right RCA to 3.5mm connection to the AirPort. Gives a great balance to the stereo-paired HomePod 2's.

Last edited:
Reactions: StumpyBloke

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Well, of course I jinxed it, but only a little bit. I had one instance where Siri said something along the lines of "There's nothing like that here" when I asked for a scene, but I repeated it and it worked fine.

Still way way better than before. But also still crossing fingers.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
I've never had an issue with HomeKit

I've been using it since 2016 or so. I have... checks app... 30 devices in HomeKit. So, not small, but nowhere near what some people have.

There have been many many issues from 2016 to now. I won't repeat them as - hopefully - this is all historical now, but some were real doozies - like having to completely re-build your HomeKit home from scratch because you removed a non-responding device from HomeKit. That was very painful. I learned to make every effort possible to get the device back responding before removing it - I had thought I could simply factory reset the device and remove it from HomeKit so it could be re-added, but nope.

"None of your devices are responding" was also fun. For the longest time I believed I had WiFi issues until I started pinging my HomeKit devices and found that devices could go non-responsive even though they could be reached via ping to their IP address the whole time. That's when I realized the problem was on Apple's side - somewhere in the gateways or the cloud the devices were being lost - and they wouldn't come back until you reset each one.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Update: Well of course I spoke too soon. All my home hubs went non-responding this morning along with a wall switch.

Bravo, Apple.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Update: Well of course I spoke too soon. All my home hubs went non-responding this morning along with a wall switch.

Bravo, Apple.
I had the same thing about an hour ago but it only lasted a few minutes and everything self healed.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I had the same situation two days ago.

Had to re-start my Ubiquity APs, then everything re-populated.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Something very interesting I have noted with the latest round of developer updates across the board, for the first time in literally years my scenes run just a quick when invoked from HomePod as they always have from my phone. This includes Philips Hue scenes which have been notoriously slow.

Now, I am sure Apple will go out of their way to screw it up again because that seems to be there Raison d'etre these days. But just wanted to point that out

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
I’ve never had any issues with HK on my aTV, AW, HomePod, iPhone, or M1 MBP.

But then I don’t have a single HK compatible device. All my devices are connected to HK via Homebridge.

4406e4b3c1509e520ccff066f5d5d275.jpg

c4ec48286097b19a2b59887687aff54f.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: coredev

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’ve never had any issues with HK on my aTV, AW, HomePod, iPhone, or M1 MBP.

But then I don’t have a single HK compatible device. All my devices are connected to HK via Homebridge.

4406e4b3c1509e520ccff066f5d5d275.jpg

c4ec48286097b19a2b59887687aff54f.jpg
To be fair, adding a couple light bulbs to a room and calling it a Homekit setup would be stable For most people even not on HomeBridge.

All those accessories you have on the screen is one room for me.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
🍾 🥂

Cheers to you guys who’ve had so much trouble with your HomeKit setups. I guess there are a few niggles still, but hopefully this update signals that HomeKit and the HomePods are on their way to ‘it just works’ status.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
To be fair, adding a couple light bulbs to a room and calling it a Homekit setup would be stable For most people even not on HomeBridge.

All those accessories you have on the screen is one room for me.

Take another look at his HomeKit screenshot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.