Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Something in tvOS 16.3.x (either .1 or .2) has completely hosed up reliability for my Schlage Sense (BLE) lock. Goes "unresponsive" just when you need it.

At least daily, I have to perform a very specific Apple TV reboot procedure that includes rebooting my router in order to temporarily resolve "unresponsive" issues. Apple TV 4K is my only Home hub.

Before tvOS 16.3.x, it worked flawlessly. Fingers crossed for 16.4

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Take another look at his HomeKit screenshot.
What am I looking at? I see a few lights, four cameras, a fan here and there and ATV and HomePod. Nothing worth bragging about in a condescending fashion. What do you see?

My master bathroom has more accessories than this whole page.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Back to devices not responding crap...

Yep. The title of your thread... more like 100% performance about 25% of the time.

With HomeKit over the years, it's been a steady two steps forward, one step back. Recently, it's just several steps back. At this point, I am hoping iOS and tvOS 16.4 get me back to where I was at the end of 2022, when functionality was somewhat reliable.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Having now installed the latest 16.4 on all HomePods, iPhone, Apple TV and iPad, I can confirm that the speed of HomeKit scenes when instigated through HomePod is massively, and I mean massively improved. Almost to the speed of the iPhone. It hasn't been this quick since, I think, iOS 14. So I have to give Apple credit there.

The biggest improvement being the good night scene where on my phone it takes approximately 2 to 3 seconds (this particular scene controls dozens and dozens of devices) and used to take between 17 and 19 seconds on any HomePod. It now takes around three.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Having now installed the latest 16.4 on all HomePods, iPhone, Apple TV and iPad, I can confirm that the speed of HomeKit scenes when instigated through HomePod is massively, and I mean massively improved. Almost to the speed of the iPhone. It hasn't been this quick since, I think, iOS 14. So I have to give Apple credit there.

The biggest improvement being the good night scene where on my phone it takes approximately 2 to 3 seconds (this particular scene controls dozens and dozens of devices) and used to take between 17 and 19 seconds on any HomePod. It now takes around three.

Any improvements with HK accessories that go AWOL?

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Well...my Eve door sensors (all upgraded to matter) haven't disconnected in a while so...

That's encouraging. I only ask because I have a Schlage Sense lock that communicates via BLE and relies on my Apple TV as a hub for remote HK functionality. Ever since tvOS 16.3.x, my router and ATV needs to be rebooted daily in order to maintain & restore this HomeKit functionality. Prior to tvOS 16.3.x, it worked flawlessly without daily reboots.

Last edited:

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Well...my Eve door sensors (all upgraded to matter) haven't disconnected in a while so...
That is great to hear, I am not on 16.4 as of yet however my Matter enabled devices are performing well despite having to reset may be one or two devices after 4-5days.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Two Nanoleaf bulbs went “No Response” a couple of days ago, and I can’t get them back. All iOS devices on v16.3.1, and eeroPro network on current network software. Tried deactivating by unscrewing them, then reactivating…no joy. I only have a dozen or so HomeKit devices, these Nanoleaf bulbs and a bunch of WeMo smartplugs, all Thread devices including the eeroPro’s. No idea how to get these bulbs back into the family.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Two Nanoleaf bulbs went “No Response” a couple of days ago, and I can’t get them back.

Yep! Ever since tvOS 16.3.x.

Have you tried rebooting the router yet? First, remove power from any/all Apple Home hubs. Then reboot your router by unplugging it for a minute. After your wifi fully comes back online, power up the Home hub(s). This works for me but I have to do it once a day. Hoping for relief when tvOS 16.4 is released.

Reactions: SalisburySam

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Along with rebooting the network as mentioned by sparky, also remove the eero as Thread devices in the eero app. It is not the same Thread protocol that HomeKit uses. This might be causing some sort of interference. From what I understand, they will use the same Thread protocol in future updates but not as of yet.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Yep! Ever since tvOS 16.3.x.

Have you tried rebooting the router yet? First, remove power from any/all Apple Home hubs. Then reboot your router by unplugging it for a minute. After your wifi fully comes back online, power up the Home hub(s). This works for me but I have to do it once a day. Hoping for relief when tvOS 16.4 is released.
Yes, rebooted our eeroPro network, but no, didn’t de-power the AppleTV hubs. Glad this works for you though sorry it’s only for a day. Will try later today.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Along with rebooting the network as mentioned by sparky, also remove the eero as Thread devices in the eero app. It is not the same Thread protocol that HomeKit uses. This might be causing some sort of interference. From what I understand, they will use the same Thread protocol in future updates but not as of yet.
This is sadly disturbing. So we now have multiple implementations of another network protocol, if I’m reading your post correctly. I truly hate home networking.

I’m having trouble with why these Nanoleafs both worked famously for several months, then both simultaneously decided they were tired of doing so. It may have been coincident with v16.3.1 updates to iOS/iPadOS/tvOS, but coincidence is not always causal. Did I mention I hate home networking?

Reactions: Itinj24

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Yes, rebooted our eeroPro network, but no, didn’t de-power the AppleTV hubs. Glad this works for you though sorry it’s only for a day. Will try later today.

My router auto-boots weekly, and I had already rebooted my hub, so I was skeptical myself. It wasn't until I rebooted the router, while the hub was powered down, that it worked. Royal daily pain.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This is sadly disturbing. So we now have multiple implementations of another network protocol, if I’m reading your post correctly. I truly hate home networking.

I’m having trouble with why these Nanoleafs both worked famously for several months, then both simultaneously decided they were tired of doing so. It may have been coincident with v16.3.1 updates to iOS/iPadOS/tvOS, but coincidence is not always causal. Did I mention I hate home networking?
I did some more digging. I just turned on Thread for my eero Pro 6 system just to check and they never appear as Thread border router devices in my Eve app Thread network map. Apparently every Thread device needs to be on Thread ver. 1.3 for complete interoperability. I also just called eero tech support for further clarification but the rep is dumb as rocks, to put it nicely. Not the same eero tech support I remember from a couple years ago. Should’ve sent an email instead.

Here is one Reddit post I remember reading about this. There were many others but this was at the top of the search query:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/zi0ndp
Here is the support page from eero. Says everything is supposed to work but again, don’t see them in the Eve app so who knows.

• Love

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok after speaking with eero tech support earlier for 30 minutes trying to get the answer to this simple question, then being escalated to the engineering team and just getting a call back now, the answer is…

No - (straight from the horse’s mouth)

The eero Thread network is not compatible nor does it work in conjunction with the same Thread network as the HomePod Minis. From what I understand this is (was?) supposed to be enabled in an update.

The eero support rep I spoke to was outrageously clueless. I’m sure it’s now being outsourced to a call center with reps that are now just reading off a screen and can’t process any questions outside the box. eero support used to be top notch with regards to first hand knowledge of the products and system. I also asked if this was something that would be enabled in a future update and the rep said she already submitted it to the engineers as a feature request 🤦‍♂️

I just went back into the eero app and disabled Thread.

Take this as you will lol.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Did it work?
I didn’t see any change between enabling and disabling it. The eeros never showed up as Thread Border Routers in the Eve app Thread network map, along with my HomePod Minis and Eve Energy. I’m guessing it’s some kind of proprietary Thread network that works only with other Amazon/Alexa products.

Edit*. There was one change but I don’t know if it’s related (probably not but very coincidental)- around the same time, my preferred Home Hub switched to another one that’s not performing well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.