Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
I removed an installation of Ubuntu from my MBP and now I have a 1.06 GB partition that won't mount and won't let me recombine it with the main macOS partition. I had read (yes, on the Ubuntu forums) that I should boot from and install from a flash drive and use Disk Utility on the installer to wipe the SSD as root.

This seems like a really bad idea. But I am at a loss as to how to figure out how to reclaim this unmountable partition. I still would like to do a clean install, but that won't help me reclaim the partition (listed as "disk0s3" below).

Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 3.30.13 PM.jpg

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Since you want to do a clean install try booting into Recovery Mode, start Disk Utility, select Apple SSD SM2048L Media and click on Erase followed by install of Catalina 10.15.6. I would think that should erase and remove disk0s3 partition. You can also create a bootable USB installer and boot from that to erase and install Catalina 10.15.6.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.