Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2023
Hello!

I'm not 100% certain if this is the correct category to ask this question.

I want to remotely access my MacPro 5,1 that's currently in my studio in France using my Macbook Pro 8,1 in Canada. I'd like to replace/update some files on my 5,1 and perhaps do an OCLP upgrade. Is this possible? I set up my 5,1 for remote access and file sharing before I left France with the hope of this being possible.

Many thanks in advance!!

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
if you can access the IP of your machine this is possible. But there is a very high risk you will set the machine unusable if you have no personal access. Especially if the MP needs the post install patches for the GPU or Wifi.

If you need to safe boot you are lost.
If you need Wifi you may be lost when that needs the post install patches.

So: Updating files: ok, Updating the OS or the bootloader is a gamble.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2023
Got it. Thanks for that. Updating the OS was a "dream long shot".
Basically I just need to take a look at what's currently installed and poke around. It's been awhile and I forget what's what with my MP 5,1.

This is what I have enabled on my MBP in Canada. What settings do you recommend for my MP 5,1 in France? I have someone there that can adjust if needed).

Many thanks!

Attachments

• File Sharing.png
    File Sharing.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 37

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Accessing/screen sharing a remote computer over the internet is not so easy. There are lots of ways of doing it but they all seem to need some setup...

Using Screen Sharing via Messages is the easiest, and free. However, I think it would require (on the MP in France) that a person be logged into an account that's signed into an Apple ID, which (I think) would have to be different from the Apple ID you (in CA) are logged in with on your MBP. Can that be arranged?

Note that the Remote Login setting in your post only applies to logins via 'ssh' on the local network -- by itself it won't work for login from any other network (like over the internet). Theoretically one could use port forwarding on the router, then (somehow) discover the remote network's IP address and then connect with ssh, but IMHO it's far too risky. (Any internet hacker could connect and try to guess or bruteforce your probably simple login password.)

You could run your own VPN server on one of your machines ( this is not a subscription to a VPN service) to make the two machines appear to be on the same local network, but that's only for the tech-savvy. I've read good things about Tailscale -- you might be able to use that, as I think it's free for non-commercial use and probably easier to set up.

After all, you're probably best off with a commercial product to solve the "remote access/screen sharing over internet" problem. I haven't used any of them, but TeamViewer and Jump Desktop are two examples that (I think) would work. There have been many threads about the merits of different solutions. I assume there are accounts to create and software to install.

I'm probably forgetting other possible solutions -- hopefully someone with chime in.

• Love
Reactions: 62277656837

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2023
The easiest thing is:

initiate screen sharing via messages. Just needs someone sitting on the Mac what can answer in a chat:

Thanks for this. I had no idea. Would I be able to manipulate files as well or just see the screen?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2023
Accessing/screen sharing a remote computer over the internet is not so easy. There are lots of ways of doing it but they all seem to need some setup...

Using Screen Sharing via Messages is the easiest, and free. However, I think it would require (on the MP in France) that a person be logged into an account that's signed into an Apple ID, which (I think) would have to be different from the Apple ID you (in CA) are logged in with on your MBP. Can that be arranged?

Note that the Remote Login setting in your post only applies to logins via 'ssh' on the local network -- by itself it won't work for login from any other network (like over the internet). Theoretically one could use port forwarding on the router, then (somehow) discover the remote network's IP address and then connect with ssh, but IMHO it's far too risky. (Any internet hacker could connect and try to guess or bruteforce your probably simple login password.)

You could run your own VPN server on one of your machines ( this is not a subscription to a VPN service) to make the two machines appear to be on the same local network, but that's only for the tech-savvy. I've read good things about Tailscale -- you might be able to use that, as I think it's free for non-commercial use and probably easier to set up.

After all, you're probably best off with a commercial product to solve the "remote access/screen sharing over internet" problem. I haven't used any of them, but TeamViewer and Jump Desktop are two examples that (I think) would work. There have been many threads about the merits of different solutions. I assume there are accounts to create and software to install.

I'm probably forgetting other possible solutions -- hopefully someone with chime in.
This is great Brian, thank you. Lots of different options here. I'm using the Messenger version that came with High Sierra and can't seem to see where there's a shared screen option?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Hello!

I'm not 100% certain if this is the correct category to ask this question.

I want to remotely access my MacPro 5,1 that's currently in my studio in France using my Macbook Pro 8,1 in Canada. I'd like to replace/update some files on my 5,1 and perhaps do an OCLP upgrade. Is this possible? I set up my 5,1 for remote access and file sharing before I left France with the hope of this being possible.

Many thanks in advance!!
It is very easy with the Apple remote desktop. You can perform any kind of macOS maintenance. But it is pricey.

Last edited:
  • Wow

pastoralbasement

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2023
Many of the remote control apps assume that the remote (French) computer is fully booted. If you desire to control the computer's startup manger, press startup keys, etc; consider a "KVM over IP". I have never used "KVM over IP," but basically it gives you remote control of the keyboard, mouse, and monitor independent of whatever software is running (or not running) on the remote computer.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It is very easy with the Apple remote desktop. You can perform any kind of macOS maintenance. But it is pricey.
Remote Desktop doesn't really work well on remote networks where you also need to figure out a way to open up the various necessary ports. (In general, Remote Desktop has gotten pretty unreliable in the past several years too.)
Instead, I'd use an app like Jump Desktop for the kind of usage in this thread, where the remote client software manages the remote connection for the user without having to manually open up ports.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for this. I had no idea. Would I be able to manipulate files as well or just see the screen?
As mentioned previously, this sharing solution requires someone logged in at the remote computer in France to grant you access through the Messages app. That remote person has the option of giving you full control over the remote computer, where your local mouse movement and your local keyboard keypresses are sent to the remote computer and cause it to do whatever you command it to do: drag and drop files, open applications, etc.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Sharing can be automated in many ways. One of the best external apps I used is the former Nulana Remotix ( now Acronis). The approach in such a software is to install a server app which runs in the background after login so the user can remotely login to the machine without user intervention. As far as ARD is concerned you don’t need to run extra software apart from the ARD, which just needs to be properly configured. Of course for first time setup someone needs to be physically at the computer.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
set up my 5,1 for remote access and file sharing before I left France with the hope of this being possible.
Do you have SSH enabled? Can you SSH to the machine?

If yes you can setup ARD on the client computer. You will need to buy the ARD on the administrator’s machine.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Do you have SSH enabled? Can you SSH to the machine?

If yes you can setup ARD on the client computer. You will need to buy the ARD on the administrator’s machine.

You don't need the ARD app to remotely control a Mac over SSH; this can be done with the built in screen sharing app. Again, something like Jump Desktop or Screens is far more flexible and better suited for this rather than leaving vulnerable ports open on the remote internet connection all the time.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
But did they just turn on those settings in System Preferences, or did they configure those settings and configure the network properly? We don't have that information.

Reactions: startergo

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
This is great Brian, thank you. Lots of different options here. I'm using the Messenger version that came with High Sierra and can't seem to see where there's a shared screen option?

Note that you and the remote user have to be logged in with different Apple IDs -- you must create a Messages conversation between them.

From https://support.apple.com/guide/messages/screen-sharing-icht11883/11.0/mac/10.13 (for High Sierra):

Share a screen​

1. Select the person you want to share with in the Messages sidebar, then click Details.
    If the person isn’t in the sidebar, send them a message first.
  2. Click the Screen Share button
    6ea45c6a9042f786f568d863896e08c1.png
    , then do one of the following.
    • Share your screen: Choose “Invite to share my screen.”
    • View your friend’s screen: Choose “Ask to share screen.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.