Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2023
Note that you and the remote user have to be logged in with different Apple IDs -- you must create a Messages conversation between them.

From https://support.apple.com/guide/messages/screen-sharing-icht11883/11.0/mac/10.13 (for High Sierra):

Share a screen​

1. Select the person you want to share with in the Messages sidebar, then click Details.
    If the person isn’t in the sidebar, send them a message first.
  2. Click the Screen Share button
    6ea45c6a9042f786f568d863896e08c1.png
    , then do one of the following.
    • Share your screen: Choose “Invite to share my screen.”
    • View your friend’s screen: Choose “Ask to share screen.”
Thanks Brian!

Would I be able perform installations as well or just see the screen?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2023
But did they just turn on those settings in System Preferences, or did they configure those settings and configure the network properly? We don't have that information.
Good question chrfr,

The settings were only configured in Sys Prefs. I still have the ability to configure the network. The owner of the Mac ready for any further instructions in France.

Many thanks!

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Would I be able perform installations as well or just see the screen?
If you establish the screen sharing via Messages to "control" the remote Mac, you would be able to use your mouse and keyboard as if they were attached to the remote Mac... until a reboot or logout. After that you'd have to get the remote person to log into the Mac again and then re-establish the screen sharing session via the Messages app.

Thus, you could perform app installations (that don't require a reboot or logout/login). You can manipulate and edit files, and open apps. I think you can transfer files between the two machines with simple drag-and-drop (it works with regular Screen Sharing on a local network, but I have not tried it over the Internet).

You would not be able to do macOS installs, since a user must be logged into the remote machine as a regular user (not in Recovery mode), and that wouldn't be possible if macOS were not fully installed. For any macOS update that required a reboot -- you'd be able to initiate it, but you wouldn't be able to see the screen progress, and after the reboot(s) your remote person would have to log into the Mac again.

Reactions: 62277656837
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.