Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willhoite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Is there any way that I can share files and folders with my family by turning my Mac mini into some kind of server letting everyone in the family connect from their devices remotely?

I would like to avoid paying monthly for an app that does this if possible – I've searched online and wasn't able to find a way to let users access files on Mac remotely (not on the Mac's local network) without needing some kind of subscription-based third party app.

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
You'll need to tinker with your Gateway (router) settings and setup proxy, or VNC (forwarding) or even VPN (e.g Hamachii or Radmin; won't work without proper gateway setup) + guess what IP address do you have + ports (ok those shound't be a problem)

Reactions: willhoite

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Cheaper and safer to use a cloud service.
  • Setting up a VPN is a job that needs some care (likely need to set up a dynamic DNS service as well unless you have a fixed IP address)
  • Due to most people having asymmetric service for their internet may be frustratingly slow.
I would suggest Dropbox (personal) a good option for your case.

Reactions: chrfr

willhoite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
This sounds helpful. The only problem I'm running into is that I can't seem to find any guides online to help set this up.

I'm not completely opposed to a cloud service. I just didn't want to have to pay monthly to store the data somewhere when I have this perfectly good Mac Mini just sitting at home not being used.

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Yes, there are various solutions. But you will need to know:
  1. what devices will be accessing your Mac
  2. the tech-savvy-level of your family members
  3. what connection your ISP provides

Here's the solution I use:

• a domain name and a DDNS service - my ISP assigns dynamic IPv4 address and v6 prefix, so I have to setup a domain that always point to my Internet gateway (router)
  • port forwarding on my router - so remote devices can access services on the Mac
  • file sharing enabled on my Mac - essentially an SMB service
  • WireGuard - so the remote devices and my router are in a virtual LAN, allowing easy interconnection and service discovery
  • IKEv2 VPN - back up connection if WireGuard fails

Reactions: Brian33

evbartl

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2020
I'm looking to do this same thing. I have the setup working great on my network, but now I need access when Im outside of the home.

Is there a tool that makes this setup easier? I dont have ton of experience with networking.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
DarkPremiumCho has laid out the steps but has left out steps of how to set up user computers and instruct them how to connect…which is another few steps. Everything he listed is free or has a "free" option. There's no "one step" method that I know about.

What's the total amount of data you'd like to share?

Reactions: evbartl

evbartl

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2020
I would be pulling files that range from 10gb to the rare folder thats 200gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.